Workers on strike because the boss only speaks English

Clair

Story in the French papers HERE (translation HERE for those who do not read French).

This French-based UK-owned factory has a temporary manager who cannot speak French.

In the workers' own words, «J’estime que ce n’est pas à nous de faire l’effort, on est en France ici, on ne va pas se mettre à parler anglais.» '"I believe this is not up to us to make the effort, we are here in France, we're not going to start to speak English"

The DM covers the same story HERE (translation HERE for those who do not read English)... [:P]

Pretty pathetic but...would it be any different in the UK with a French only (or any other language for that matter) speaking 'boss'?

There are loads of ways this guy could handle the 'issue'. Guess the 'workers' won't want to loose their jobs if the factory closes down so there must be a compromise position until a French speaking replacement is appointed.

Difficult to comment fully without knowing all the facts but looks like this is just one of many issues at the factory....

Simon:-)

[:$][:$][:$]

I have just sent a letter in english to a functionnaire in the international section complaining bitterly about things.  I never did that when I lived in France. Never spoke or wrote letters in english with officaldom.  However, I can only take so much, and they have messed us around and pushed me too far now. So I bashed a letter out in english and off it went. A french version to follow, but that will take me a lot of time and I just didn't have it.

And yes, the boss should learn french or have an official translator with them all the time until they learn.

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"]Pretty pathetic but...would it be any different in the UK with a French only (or any other language for that matter) speaking 'boss'? [/quote]

Seen a few UK football team managers on TV who can hardly string two words together in any language!

Last week I caught up with a guy I haven't seen for many years. He is in the automotive industry, at a fairly senior level I guess, he spent several years in Japan, then 9 years Germany and is now in Shanghai - he didn't speak any of the languages concerned when he got the jobs.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Jay"]Seen a few UK football team managers on TV who can hardly string two words together in any language!
[/quote]Sound like the sort of people the average soccer player would understand perfectly then.[Www][/quote]

Brian Clough described the appointment of Sven Goren Eriksson as a catastrophe: "For the first time in history, the manager will speak better English than the players."

Sounds like the English speaking stand-in is just doing a short-term holding job and has become just another reason to strike....(doesn't take much but it's a right blah blah blah...!)

Guess it depends whether or not the job holder is implicitly required to speak French from a contractual point-of-view. I wonder what local and European employment law has to say on language ability or requirements of ANY job holder??

Is 'native' language ability taken as a given when applying for or being allocated a job?

Simon :-)

My take is, that it doesn't matter a scrap if top-level management don't speak the lingo. Even if technically they are speaking the same language as the shop floor workers, in fact it is not the same language at all, neither side really has a clue what the other side is on about. However, if a factory manager can't even pretend to know what's going on day by day in the factory and can't answer questions and solve problems, what's he there for? And being paid good money for?

[quote user="EuroTrash"]My take is, that it doesn't matter a scrap if top-level management don't speak the lingo. Even if technically they are speaking the same language as the shop floor workers, in fact it is not the same language at all, neither side really has a clue what the other side is on about. However, if a factory manager can't even pretend to know what's going on day by day in the factory and can't answer questions and solve problems, what's he there for? And being paid good money for?[/quote]

That's where translators come in - look at the EU Parliament some of the MEPs listen to translation of speeches in their own language. You will also see delegations from Outer Wherever who have translators because they do not speak the language of the country they are visiting.