What is going on with food prices?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"]Just got seven damn great melons direct from the producer just up the road for the princely sum of €5. That's quite good. If you are fond of melons.

[/quote]

We just ate our melon crop in one go as we only had a solitary melon this year but it tasted wonderful. Cost - a little effort to scatter the seed.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I have come onto this thread rather late, but what I try and do is every two weeks I try and get to NETTO for when it opens 8.30am. The meat from Netto is very good quality (I believe it is the same meat that is delivered to Intermarche) nearly everday they have half priced meat, I am rather confused why they do this as the expiry date is never for that day but the following day ? So the meat is perfectly fresh. I then buy lots of red meat and chicken to last me the two weeks, (put it in the freezer) Perfect for my Indian or chineses meals that I make regularly.. Sometimes I find packets of Salmon, Smoked salmon and prawns also half price. We are on a budget as our income is from England, but I can tell you we eat like Kings on a small price. For a family of 3 we spend about 70 euros a week for shopping.

Just thought I would share my secret....

I go to the local farm in my village to get fresh milk . 50 ct a liter.

Of course I have to boil it , then cool it, put it in bottles and in the fridge.

But it is so good. Well, my son doesn't like it, he prefers the UHT in bricks !! [:-))]

They also sell excellent butter and goat cheese at very interesting prices.

Thankyou for the tip Sara!

I visited Netto this morning and it was exactly as you said, most of it was pork and I think maybe only one third off, but I bought some beef marked down 66%, definitely worth me getting up early for as the shop was also deserted.

One difference though, I got there at 8.30 only to find that they dont open until 9, that would not be so bad but they lock down the doors at 11.30 so they can shut at 12, they dont open again until 14.00 effectively closed to customers for two and a half hours.

I shall write a letter of complaint to "A place in the sun" [:P]

Actually I could get to Tesco or Asda quicker than waiting for them to re-open but that is not looking so appealing at the moment, I hate to say it but after looking at the video on the BBC news site I am ashamed to admit that I have the same nationality as the casseurs.

Sorry your branch of Netto only takes a 1/3 off ,here in Normandie the reduction is 50 % and the shops open from 8.30 to 7pm all day, infact I believe nearly all the supermarkets are now open during lunch times.

Val regarding cat food or dog food once again in Netto they have a very good deal, for a large tin of cat food the price is 92 cents but if you buy 6 tins then the price goes down to about 80 cents (not sure exactly) per tin. I feel the majority of people over feed their animals and is not healthy for them, it is better to give them less anyway.( We have rescued 5 cats in the last 3 years , 2 of which were wild and would have died from starvation or shot by the hunters. )So the 6 tins normally last just over the week, which the price is not too bad. My cats love the food, and are not fussy. I know of an english woman who has no money at all but only feeds her cats Whiskers ! (so expensive) all her cats look unhealthy and over weight... The english lady is trying to move back to england due to no funds (just about feed herself) but her cats are ok.  

I will keep going Sara, maybe it was just that day as there were very few marked down, the store was built only a couple of years ago at presumably a huge cost so I am surprised that it does not have longer opening hours to recoup the investment, OK they may rent it and presumably they make more than enough during their limited opening hours, effectively the doors are only open 7 hours per day.

There is a huge Champion right by the Autoroute junction, again built within the last couple of years to coincide with the town bypass, conservatively it must have cost €2 million, they are closed every Monday [I][:-))]

Of the others in town, Lidl and Aldi are open lunchtime, the staff have to juggle shelf stacking and serving at the tills, they are all very very hardworking yet always cheerfull, Super U and Intermarché are also open but I reckon its just for the entertainment of the staff who gather in the car park smoking and laughing at the huge queues at the one till open usually without a cashier, they are also miserable as sin!

[quote user="Val_2"]Another problem too with rising prices is for our furry friends their foods have also risen along with ours.[/quote]

Yes, it is getting more expensive to give those little tinned treats to the MIL, but she seems quite happy with dried stuff and an old bone.[6]

[quote user="Val_2"]Another problem too with rising prices is for our furry friends their foods have also risen along with ours.[/quote]

Large tins of Bien Vu cat food from SuperU were O.56 euros each last week.  I couldn't buy them for that in the UK.

[quote user="Sara"]

Sorry your branch of Netto only takes a 1/3 off ,here in Normandie the reduction is 50 % and the shops open from 8.30 to 7pm all day, infact I believe nearly all the supermarkets are now open during lunch times.

Val regarding cat food or dog food once again in Netto they have a very good deal, for a large tin of cat food the price is 92 cents but if you buy 6 tins then the price goes down to about 80 cents (not sure exactly) per tin. I feel the majority of people over feed their animals and is not healthy for them, it is better to give them less anyway.( We have rescued 5 cats in the last 3 years , 2 of which were wild and would have died from starvation or shot by the hunters. )So the 6 tins normally last just over the week, which the price is not too bad. My cats love the food, and are not fussy. I know of an english woman who has no money at all but only feeds her cats Whiskers ! (so expensive) all her cats look unhealthy and over weight... The english lady is trying to move back to england due to no funds (just about feed herself) but her cats are ok.  

[/quote]

The nearest Netto to us is a round trip of nearly 27kms so not viable to shop there whereby Lidl is only 11kms return but they won't eat their tinned food either.

[quote user="Val_2"]Mine will only eat Felix in gelée, nothing else at all. Tried them on some LeClerc Lycat in gelée today but all four of them walked away so had to bin it.[/quote]

Ours will eat Gourmet in sachets as well - only trouble is the sachets conatin less and cost more!!  So I know exactly what you mean Val.  I could put the cheapest food in the world in front of them and if they did not like it they would rather starve - In fact I have seen them turn their noses up at something and just to make sure we understood the message, go and lick the dried up residues left over from breakfast.