Just watching an old Vicar of Dibley episode

Lots of cultural exchanges.

Back in the UK we lived just outside Lichfield which is twinned with Limburg and their famous youth orchestra came across to play a series of concerts.  They stayed with local families and we had two German girls stay with us for the week.

Now, my local town (Bressuire) is twinned with Leixlip (Ireland) and they come across regularly to give superb Irish dance performances.  Very popular with the locals.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Lots of cultural exchanges.

Back in the UK we lived just outside Lichfield which is twinned with Limburg and their famous youth orchestra came across to play a series of concerts.  They stayed with local families and we had two German girls stay with us for the week.

Now, my local town (Bressuire) is twinned with Leixlip (Ireland) and they come across regularly to give superb Irish dance performances.  Very popular with the locals.

[/quote]

Who pays for the tickets to fly over though?

Most towns that are twinned with somewhere seem to have committees for same who fund raise. I've been to dinner dances, soccer matches, art exhibitions etc. It depends on what the localities are noted for or maybe what they have in common, I think. Local town councils may also may a contribution as it is considered an honour to represent your town abroad. At least it is in Ireland anyway.

• 2 years later...
We have a Twinning; not very many members; mostly older. We are trying to get schools from home to exchange mails with schools in France. We are always looking for new recruits and have been asked by our council to raise some funds to help out.

I would be grateful for any ideas where we can get new members or raise funds.

One of our founder members in France grew up during the war and it split her family (she is German). She wanted people in different countries to get to know each other, so they would understand each other and not fight each other. We have to keep it going.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Who pays for the tickets to fly over though?
[/quote]

The few examples I have seen it is the individuals who pay their own fares - or in the case of organsiations like orchestras, their sponsors and fund raising efforts.

One advantage however is that often twinning activities take place at a set time so bulk discount/charter flights/trains can be possible.  Yes trains - not everyone could afford to fly then - but that was before the LoCos came along

I've joined in a few things with one of our local twinning commitees and we all pay for events we go to.  I've never done a trip with them but I know they pay their fares even though some events they go to when they're in the UK are put on for them as we put things on for the Brits when they come here.