Missing France :-(

I don't really care what time of year I am over there.  In the summers Canada gets blistering hot.  This summer it was so hot here the road caught on fire and you could cook a roast beef in your car window.  In the winters it gets to about -30 for most of January and Feb. The snow is deep and you have to shovel it every day.  I know the temp. still goes below zero over there but the snow and the cold weather there is perfect for me trying to escape a harsh Canadian winter or summer. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chiefluvie, Aix is a good two hours from St Tropez and it takes another 40 minutes from there to get to the Luberon.

Have you actually been to the coast around the Gulf of St Tropez, if so you will have noticed that most houses are modern villas and apartments with orange pan tile roofs built within the last forty years and of poured concrete or concrete block construction. Whereas, in the Luberon you have a lot of much older houses including stone constructed houses of a totally different style.

In St Tropez they have a grande bradderie at the end of October following which most shops and restaurants close until March or April. Although, some restaurants will open for Christmas week.

Likewise, Ste Maxime which is my local town, is pretty much dead from November through the end of February, with the exception of Christmas/New Year week, with very few open restaurants and a lot of the smaller non food shops closed.

A lot of the business owners and employees tend to have businesses and jobs in the French Alps for the winter season. Inland it is different, but I am talking about the resort coastal towns.

In the valley where I live out of a 100 or so houses, there are only two occupied year round, which can make the long winter nights rather spooky!

I have a neighbour here, who has a friend that lives in Canada.

Every year, in winter the friend visits for a month to escape Canada's winter.

We thought it a bit odd at first, until he told us the temperatures he was escaping. [IMG]http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/alexh01/smile-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Wherever my family is..is home...That is why I am currently at home in Scotland..staying with my brother and his family while working here..'Home' otherwise is Portsmouth except when I am 'Home' at France...Home, to me,  is where you feel safe, sheltered and at peace. I think the concept of 'you are only allowed one home' somewhat lacking in imagination .

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Wherever my family is..is home...That is why I am currently at home in Scotland..staying with my brother and his family while working here..'Home' otherwise is Portsmouth except when I am 'Home' at France...Home, to me,  is where you feel safe, sheltered and at peace. I think the concept of 'you are only allowed one home' somewhat lacking in imagination .[/quote]

Exacly so, Big Mac! [:)]

Spot on, Cendrillon! [:)] My mother-in-law still talks about us as going on holiday to France every summer, even though she knows from having visisted us several times that we just get on with life in very much the same way as in the UK.  I think of it as picking up my life and putting it down elsewhere for a few months. [:D]

""BIG MAC"]Wherever my family is..is home...That is why I am currently at home in Scotland..staying with my brother and his family while working here..'Home' otherwise is Portsmouth except when I am 'Home' at France...Home, to me,  is where you feel safe, sheltered and at peace. I think the concept of 'you are only allowed one home' somewhat lacking in imagination .

I 100% agree.  When I am at my house its home and the same with my parents home, my mother in laws place and even my next door neighbour from when I was growing up.  They are all home to me.

[quote user="KathyF"]Spot on, Cendrillon! [:)] My mother-in-law still talks about us as going on holiday to France every summer, even though she knows from having visisted us several times that we just get on with life in very much the same way as in the UK.  I think of it as picking up my life and putting it down elsewhere for a few months. [:D][/quote]

Thats s a good way of putting it ................Which ever house / home you are living in there are services to pay for . Gas electricity water .  Its just a matter of when and where you choose to be paying out for them. .

I look at it as shut down one open up another And a supermarket  is a supermarket  whether I am buying my food in the SuperU wearing  shorts and T shirt  or Sainsbury's  wearing  trousers and  a jumper it has to be done and the cost of living works out the same each month.for me . 

That won't apply to us, Sprogster, as MOH is the most reluctant holiday-maker you can imagine and won't fly under any circumstances. [:)] We bought our French home when we were already grandparents and 9 years on still enjoy every day we are there.

Sprogster wrote the following post at 12/02/2012 19:02:

Cendrillon, your mother had a good point though, as apparently second

home owners on average sell up within ten years for exactly that reason,

usually when children have left home and the parents have more freedom

to roam the world again!

We bought our second home 12 years ago and that was well after our children had left home. We did quite a bit of "roaming" before then and still could now if we wished. In recent years our children and their young families like to come and spend holidays with us in France so we have no intention of selling the house yet.

I don't get to France as much as I would like,but I consider it living in my other home. I still cook, clean , wash ,wash up , shop etc I just don't go to work or have the cats. Like others mine isn't really good for winter , and I am really missing it at the moment

If it's got my furniture, my clothes, my crockery and cutlery in it, if I clean it, maintain it, pay the bills on it and do the gardening, then it's my home.

The fact that I do visit from time to time all year round means that I rarely describe my visits there as a "holiday". I have holidays at other times and in other places. I have homes in the UK and France.

Others may feel differently.[;-)]

I'm just telling it how I see it. Frankly, I don't have a problem with my personal circumstances and choices, but if you do, I can live with that.

If I'm in France and heading back to England, most people (me included) tend to use the fairly bland "rentrer" when discussing when I'm going back to the UK. When I'm in England, I simply say "I'm off to France". It's really quite simple and painless. For me, anyway.

Well, nice for you, obviously.

I have just the two, and I choose to call them both my "home". As I said before, others may feel differently. You are clearly one of those others. What I can't quite grasp is why it matters to you or anyone else what someone else might choose to call a house they spend quite a bit of time living in.

If  it would help, I'm happy to call my French home "Brian" in any of our future discussions.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"] There's a pretentiousness about calling a property 'home' when you only visit during the summer and spend the rest of the year in Kent........surely it's a time-share! Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Misuse of language here. A time-share is a property which many people own, each for a week or two a year. My French house is owned solely by me and lived in solely by me and my husband and cannot be called a time-share, even if we only spend the summer there. For as long as I'm there with my husband, it's my home and it feels like home. If that's pretentious, then call me pretentious. [:D] The fact that you can't see that for people like me and several other contributors to this thread, home is a moveable situation rather than a pile of bricks and mortar is, it seems to me, your problem, not ours.