A new report on Immigration in France

NormanH

Is published today, which of course includes those of us who live here permanently.

(Depuis 1999, on note également une diversification des pays d'origine

européens: le nombre de natifs du Royaume-Uni a augmenté de 73.000, de

Serbie de 51.000 et de Russie de 40.000.)

One feature that is unusual here is that the second generation in France is the most numerous in the EU.

The rather uneven distribution of the population also explains why the perceptions of France by those living in the South West and West are rather different from those more  in the East and major conurbations.

The map below does not include British immigrants [:P]

[IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/immigration.jpg[/IMG]

the resumé states

En 2008, 8,4 % des personnes vivant en France sont immigrées. Deux

immigrés sur dix vivent en France depuis quarante ans au moins et trois

sur dix sont arrivés il y a moins de dix ans. Par ailleurs, les

descendants directs d'immigrés représentent 11 % de la population en

France métropolitaine ; la moitié ont entre 18 et 50 ans, et parmi eux,

la moitié ont un seul parent immigré. La diversité des origines de la

population se retrouve chaque année dans les naissances. En 2010, comme

au début des années 1980, 16 % des nouveaux-nés ont une mère immigrée.

Souvent, le père et la mère ont des histoires différentes. Ainsi, parmi

les enfants nés entre 2006 et 2008 ayant un parent immigré, six sur dix

ont un autre parent qui n'est pas immigré. Sur deux générations et en

combinant les histoires des deux parents, les histoires familiales des

enfants nés entre 2006 et 2008 sont donc variées : un enfant sur dix a

deux parents immigrés, six sur dix ont deux parents qui ne sont ni

immigrés ni descendants d'immigrés, et trois enfants sur dix ont des

profils plus « mixtes ». Cette diversité apparaît encore plus nettement

quand on tient compte des pays d'origine des parents ou grands-parents.

An article about it can be found in Le Figaro

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2012/10/10/01016-20121010ARTFIG00262-immigration-les-chiffres-de-l-insee.php

and the report can be downloaded here:

http://www.insee.fr/fr/ffc/docs_ffc/ref/FPORSOC11d_VE22Immig.pdf

I wish I could find the link to the stats behind these INSEE reports, which I had ages ago and posted on "another forum", only for the thread to ultimately be deleted, then I found and posted it again and ditto.

Anyway, thanks Norman. I do wonder, though, how INSEE gets away with producing "new" reports based on statistics from 2006-2008 (in some cases) or, at their most recent, stats from 2010. Given that so much has changed in the last two years, particularly with regard to net migration figures, I can't see that increase in the number of UK natives having been sustained.

What the INSEE figures used to show (on the tables to which I have lost the link) was numbers of immigrants and non-natives by origin and by department. It made very interesting reading, showing, for example, that the largest numbers of immigrants to France come from (drumroll)...Portugal. At least, that was the case with the last lot of stats, and given the numbers involved, I doubt if anyone else has managed to catch them up!

EuroTrash wrote the following post at 10/10/2012 10:08:

Bizarre that Dordogne and much of Normandy are the lowest band, or am I reading it wrong?

The map covers non-EU born immigrants......so no Brits included

I was surprised the area around Marseille wasn't in the highest band, as I always thought there was a very large North African population here, but perhaps the rest of the dept lowers the average.

Lou

''The Polish and the Belgians seem to be the most motivated to either stop coming to France or to get the hell out of there when they can, the only racial groups whose numbers are in decline in France. ''

Surely the Belgians, Poles, French, Brits etc all belong to the same ''racial'' group. Different nationalities but certain the same race.

wooly, in view of the absence of capital gains tax in Belgium there is a significant tax advantage in a Belgian retiree with a house in the south of France keeping his Belgium tax residence. Also without any border controls between France and Belgium it must be impossible for French officials to work out how much time a Belgium retiree spends in France.

I agree that the south of France is popular with Belgiums, but there are probably not as many as you think as Belgium is a very small country!

Having lived there for over 15 years, we were aware of just a few Belgians returning from sojourns in France back to Belgium. But the vast majority of traffic is the other way of course, not simply because of the weather which is definitely a huge contributory factor, but because it is one of the few days nowadays to utilise the "under the table money" which is so prevalent in Belgium.

Interestingly enough there was a definitely Far Right Swing yesterday in Antwerp where we lived - not that this is a huge surprise!