Why are French exercise books......

mint

notebooks, things that you write on, etc always ruled with squares?

Why is it not possible to buy writing books, A4 pads and so on with just lines on them?

This has got me so curious that I thought I'd put it to the Forum as there is sure to be someone who knows!

[quote user="sweet 17"]... notebooks, things that you write on, etc always ruled with squares?[/quote]

Do you mean like these?

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/mod_article1834971_1_zps3cbcb573.jpg[/IMG]

It's because the lines determine the height of the letters when pupils are taught to write at school. Like this...

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/Ecriture-CE1-seyes-25mm_zps6446eaa7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q296/clair46/w6wb9c5s_zps930929d9.gif[/IMG]

Like many of my generation, I was taught to write with a quill I would dip in an ink well at the top of my desk...

[quote user="NormanH"]
No flood water here, not even any rain yet..
[/quote]

NO rain???

We have enough rain here to float any number of barrels right down to the Atlantic![+o(]

Clair, I'll better start practising writing then.

No, I don't mean just those ones, Clair, also the ones that have squares (with equal sides).

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="NormanH"]But why the vertical bars?[/quote]
The vertical bars are there to help keep the vertical lines when writing...

[/quote]

What if you want to write with a slight forward slope?

When I took some calligraphy classes, we were taught that the most elegant writing leans forward slightly[:)]

Clair, that's exactly what I saw many years ago when on a course in Paris we visited schools from nursery up; it was explained just as you said. Seeing those tinies writing  using those lines was something that stayed with me - and reading this post had me back there again. Sadly my lines were still there when I returned from those visits in my memory!  [:(]

Sweet, I was told that nobody wrote in a sloping manner. Now that might have been then and now is now - but having seen various pieces of writing done by youngsters over recent years, it would seem to be the same now. Is that right still how it's taught, anyone?

Sweets, there is an official handwriting in France, which is or was taught in schools. It was achieved by FOLLOWING THE LINES. I did once hear of a British chap having a document refused by the gendarmes because it was not hanwritten in the correct way, but that could be apockyfull(sic)

Every child at school from maternelle up is taught to write in exactly the same way, hence the lined, graphed paper/books to keep it all the same.   Strange tradition perhaps lol.

So why is it that my Doctors prescriptions are so difficult to read if he/she was taught to write in the same way? [:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]What if you want to write with a slight forward slope?

When I took some calligraphy classes, we were taught that the most elegant writing leans forward slightly[:)][/quote]

Calligraphy is something totally different, and definitely not taught at school in France!

Every pupil used to learn to write as per the pics attached above. No deviation allowed!

After a few years, the traditional writing style would evolve for each pupil and once we were allowed to use biros, there would be no "pleins et déliés" (downstrokes and upstokes).

Doctors are required to undertake special training to achieve the correct level of scribbling before they qualify... [Www]

[quote user="gardengirl "]''Doctors are required to undertake special training to achieve the correct level of scribbling before they qualify...''

That's something UK and France have in common!

[/quote]

And pharmacists in both countries are required to undergo special training in interpreting the handwriting of doctors?

I like to use plain writing paper with the sheet of lines underneath. My friends seem to prefer lines, but I don't. I wrote many letters over many many years whilst I was in France, and would buy my plain paper from a supermarket, or papeterie. I love a fountain pen and good quality paper. Pity that my grammar and spelling are cra p, but my letters always looked pretty[Www].

I have much to say about those cahiers, but not on this post.

Maybe that's why the French hate writing letters.  Once they have no guidelines to write by, they are unable to write on a plain piece of  paper.

I knew that handwriting is taught in schools, but why can't they have lined paper, instead of squared, for grown ups?

[quote user="Renaud"]The doctors at my surgery use computers. How long till they find typefaces like Gothic Black?[/quote]

Well, Renaud, I always imagine that Gibbon's "Decline and Fall" was written with a quill and VERY BLACK ink![:)]