Come home, all is forgiven [well, almost]

Evianers

[quote user="Quillan"]Do you know any unhappy multi-millionaires then Idun? The saying "Money doesn't bring you happiness" is one created by the poor. Some of my friends are poor but I don't talk to them in public. They are quite nice once you get to know them. [;-)][/quote]Not personally but then I don't mix in those circles[:)] However I did read  recently about one of the extremely rich Rausing family who had lain dead for two months after a drug overdose. I don't think she was two happy before she died and her husband seems a pretty odd sort.

I have heard that money can't buy you happiness but it does let you be miserable in comfort.

The thing is a million these dyas is not really a lot of money. According to the "This is Money" you need around 1.2M to give you an income of 25k per year till you die at current interest rates. Don't forget the longer you live the 25k has less buying power. To put that 25k in to real terms these days it is about the average wage for a typist or 20k less than the average refuse collector in Birmingham (UK). When you think about it could you live on 25k a year even if you don't have debts after paying all your bills? I don't think I could even afford a holiday on that money.

So being 'rich' is all relative when it comes to money. If you start from scratch, i.e. with just the shirt on your back, then these days you are looking at around 10M in the bank to last you a lifetime according to Forbes. I know that the amount seems rather obscene but that's they way of it all really.

Wealth doesn't bring happiness, as the Beatles said, 'can't buy me love'. Well that is a fact. Also we cannot buy good health either. Comfort, I grant you, can be bought, but how much comfort does a person need anyway.

I know some millionaires actually. They flip from car to car which leaves me cold, I have no idea about cars or how apparently most people perceive them. Both have had much heartache and their spouses have died rather younger than is normal these days, and their own health is not good either. I also know some very very clever people, and yet their lives are little different to the rest of us.  

Being poor, I grant you must be hard. Worrying about bills and heating and eating must be terrible, and I feel that comfort is being able to heat and eat properly and not to worry about bills.

So IF I had a millions pounds, giving an extra income of £25K, even with the tax deducted, I feel I would be rich, because that extra income would permit me to do everything I have ever desired.

Nice one NH.

[quote user="idun"]

Wealth doesn't bring happiness, as the Beatles said, 'can't buy me love'.

[/quote]

That's a sweeping statement  Idun, I wonder if Richard Branson or Cliff Richards to name just a couple are any more unhappy than you or me for example. You are not wrong though when you say it can't buy love but then neither can a poor man (or person).

I wasn't talking about the 25k as an extra income I was talking about it as the only income.

Money can bring pleasure (or happiness), you can help others with it, think about it, there are a lot of people out there that use their money to help others, ask Bill Gates or Paul Allen for example.

[quote user="Evianers"]Come back now Monsieur Depardieu, all is forgiven - well, almost.

French 75% income tax struck down by constitutional council

[/quote]

Or perhaps not............... does FH feel he is above the constitutional laws of France?

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="idun"]

Wealth doesn't bring happiness, as the Beatles said, 'can't buy me love'.

[/quote]

That's a sweeping statement  Idun, I wonder if Richard Branson or Cliff Richards to name just a couple are any more unhappy than you or me for example. You are not wrong though when you say it can't buy love but then neither can a poor man (or person).

I wasn't talking about the 25k as an extra income I was talking about it as the only income.

Money can bring pleasure (or happiness), you can help others with it, think about it, there are a lot of people out there that use their money to help others, ask Bill Gates or Paul Allen for example.

[/quote]I suspect that Richard Branson or Cliff Richard are happy not because of their wealth but because of what they have acheived. And the same is true of many financially successful people. As has already been said having money does not bring a guarantee of good health.

IMO happiness is not dependent on wealth. In my life I have experienced periods of poverty and periods of affluence. Periods of happoness and periods of sadness. There has been no direct correlation between wealth and happiness in my life. But yes life is easier when you don't needto watch every penny every day but also you appreciate some things more when you have to save before you can have them. Easy acess often takes some of the pleasure from things.

And remember your theoretical income from £1000000 will vary according to your age when you invest it. You can spend some of the capital over your life expectancy. This is the principal behind annuities.

[quote user="Rabbie"]

And remember your theoretical income from £1000000 will vary according to your age when you invest it. You can spend some of the capital over your life expectancy. This is the principal behind annuities.

[/quote]

Not my theory I am afraid and the sum was 1.2M without an annuity just using ordinary saving facilities like say savings account.