Carol Sheridan missing in French Alps

EmilyA

EmilyA, first of all I'm sorry that your family is going through such a worrying time.

In your situation, I think I'd be faxing the UK newspapers with a paragraph of background on Carol, the fact that she is missing, where she is missing and a list of local police / gendarmerie offices, newspapers and tv stations in France for them to contact for further information.

Receiving enquiries from the UK press might well encourage the French local - or even national - press to pick up the story and publicise the search. Be prepared for some sensationalist reporting and perhaps some intrusive questioning but as a means to an end - a sustained and intensive search - it may be what you need.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Catalpa. Not my family at all, just someone I "know" from various forums. She posts as Sheridan on here and has been a member for years I think. Her family are doing well with the press in the UK, there are stories in the Hull Daily Mail and Manchester Evening news, plus masses on Twitter and Facebook. The gendarmes and the mountain rescue are searching and the FCO are involved. I have been trying to help by keeping up to date with French media responses and feeding back to the family.

Don't know if it helps jog anyones memory but she used to post here under the name of "monaco". Joined on the 02/03/2007 and her last post on the forum was on the 21/06/2007 which was about her using the long tem carpark at Toulouse airport. At that time she was driving a Nissan Micra just in case I have the wrong person.

It would be France3 Rhone Alpes and TV Montblanc too.

Sorry but all this feels slightly OTT to me.

I have looked CS up and she happily finds remote car parks and goes walking alone without telling anyone. Which means that she has the intention of going exactly where she pleases, when she pleases, including in autumn and I know that there has been snow in the mountains as my son lives in the Alpes.

That the gendarmes were not interested has not surprised me one iota. In the Alpes at least, they often cannot be bothered with real and serious crimes, never mind someone who may or may not be missing.

The mountains are dangerous, I know several people who have not returned. We make choices in this life about how we live and obviously CS was rather fond of acting in a way that was hardly prudent.

[quote user="idun"]

The mountains are dangerous, I know several people who have not returned.

[/quote]

I totally agree and it would be very easy to pass comment about the 'golden rules' that clearly were not kept to in this case although perhaps this is not the best time to delve in to them. We had our first frost this morning and we are in the Pyrenees which is a little warmer than the Alps. A 'mature' woman of 72 years walking in the Alps alone and possibly without any survival equipment is not very good so let's hope they find her soon and that she is OK.

What you say idun may be true but I agree completely with Q that this is hardly the time to be voicing it and you seem to ignore the fact that despite being a free roving independent minded spirit she is also a creature of habit and the simple fact of the lack of communication with her daughter in NZ in and of itself is evidence that something serious is up so better we leave the dissecting of the rights and wrongs and the meting out of advice and criticism until the situation has played itself out.

The mountains are dangerous, I know several people who have not returned. We make choices in this life about how we live and obviously CS was rather fond of acting in a way that was hardly prudent.

I refuse to use the past tense, Carol for me is a beacon and shining example for women of all ages to not be content to sit at home safe and comfortable in front of the television because they live on their own. Her hiking in the alps and snorkelling holidays all over the world have always earned my admiration.

At what age does it become imprudent? She has more drive  and better fitness than most women of any age, due to her circumstances she doesnt have anyone to inform of her movements, I am in a similar situation but at least she has regular contact with her family who quickly raised the alarm.

I read recently of one bad experience that she had which didnt put her off, I am sure that she is as well equipped as is practical.

Having read this thread and a similar thread on another forum and indeed some of  Carol's own posts on a third forum I get the impression of a feisty lady who cocks a snook at the passing years and does what she wants to do.  I understand and sympathise with her family and friends at this difficult time.

I just hope that she has not been the victim of some criminal action but fear that her adventurous spirit has led her into misadventure. But if I am honest I am sure she would accept that sh*t happens and it was a risk worth taken for the obvious pleasure she gets from her adventures in the wild.

If just hope there will be a fairytale ending to this story.

I am in complete agreement with you. The police should be looking for her car so a search of nearby trails can be made  in case she  is lying injured. Again I hope she is found soon and can go on to have many more adventures. I found it inspiring - being only a little younger - to read her posts  and to have my own beliefs that age is not a barrier confirmed.

Once again my best wishes to her family and friends and my fervent hope that this does nor end in tragedy

[quote user="Rabbie"]

I just hope that she has not been the victim of some criminal action but fear that her adventurous spirit has led her into misadventure. But if I am honest I am sure she would accept that sh*t happens and it was a risk worth taken for the obvious pleasure she gets from her adventures in the wild.

If just hope there will be a fairytale ending to this story.

[/quote]

Being in contact on a regular basis with her family she could/should have left a quick message to say where she was walking and how long she would be and that she would phone, send an email or whatever when she got back. This would have at least given those looking for here a start on where to look. As the 'hunt' ramps up and because nobody knows exactly where she went more resources have to be used and as they get further afield it may become more dangerous for those looking for her. Let us just hope that her being feisty and independent is helping her survive and that finding her comes sooner rather than later. I would also hope that had she followed the few basic rules of walking in such a terrain it would have speeded up the time it took for people to start looking for her as time is often the most important factor should she be lost or injured.

Perhaps whoever is involved in alerting various authorities/groups, etc. might find the following website/forum useful:

[url]http://www.visorando.com/forum-randonnee/derniers-messages-4.html[/url]

Having had a quick look round it, it doesn't appear to have been discovered or contacted by anyone who is looking for Carol.

The link is to a list of people planning walks in/around various areas of the alps and I would imagine that it may be worth contacting some of those who have indicated that they plan/planned a walk around the area in which Carol went missing, either to see if they may have seen her or her car, or to ask them to keep their eyes peeled and to pass on the message to their fellow walkers?

ETA I've added this to the FB wall.  ETA Apparently I haven't. Or, at least, it isn't showing.

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/11/02/carol-sheridan-missing-rhone-alps-france-hiking/

AOL Travel today     It seems her phone is showing  "call failed " now . It was active so I cant understand why the signal location was not fixed so they would know a search area by now.

[quote user="Frederick"]  It seems her phone is showing  "call failed " now . It was active so I cant understand why the signal location was not fixed so they would know a search area by now. [/quote]

IIRC French phones don't do this automatically. Not to say it might not be possible at a Judge's behest.

Sue

It would appear her phone was an older model. The newer phones can be traced (if switched on and with battery charge) by pinging the GPS, much like you'd do with your computer to ping the ip. Older phones require the signal to be triangulated. All very well in built-up areas, but not so easy, I suspect, in the middle of nowhere when someone is walking..I can't begin to think how much ground you might have to cover on foot to move from the coverage of one mast to another, or indeed how much of the vast area of the search may be completely un-covered by mobile signals. Not to mention the time lag to get permission to get the phone company to help, the time before she was reported missing, the fact that nobody know exactly when she disappeared (in precise terms) or when her phone stopped working...

From some of the posts across the internet, it seems everyone's Miss Marple.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]

From some of the posts across the internet, it seems everyone's Miss Marple.

[/quote]

Well ... if it helps her to be found, in my book that is to be encouraged.

Edit : now it is the Liverpool Echo, with this helpful link :

Anyone with information about Carol or her car is being urged to email : [email protected]

Sue

TO a degree, I concur. However, two things:

1. Many people seem to be clogging places up with suggestions for things to be done that have been done already, because they jump in with suggestions before reading what anyone else has said. Some of the main protagonists in co-ordinating efforts have politely requested, several times, that people post suggestions, but then have to keep responding with "Yes, we've done that..."

2. A lot of the suggestions being made (and the majority are constructive, don't get me wrong) seem to stem from Too Much TV, or an assumption that police efforts are being led by Inspector Clouseau.

There is much, I am sure, that can be done which is of a constructive nature. One of the most constructive things would be for people to have a read of what HAS been done, so they can ADD to the suggestions/information, rather than repeat stuff.

I am guessing that some of you have been on Gransnet, but there is a lot going on to try and contact French media at the moment

http://www.gransnet.com/forums/other_subjects/1202005-IMPORTANT-Please-read-Missing-Gransnet-member-in-France?pg=13

French speakers are needed!

I just read this which suggests that she did not set out for a hike.

Her sister, Kath, has now remembered that on the day that she went missing she spoke to her and suggested that she would be going out for a drive, but would not be walking as it was very wet. Any of you who have been to stay with her have any idea where she might have driven?

Given the amount of time that has elapsed there is more hope if she is in her vehicle and not outside.