Charlie Hebdo and the Brits in Europe

This was by Charb one of the cartoonists killed in the recent attack.

[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bfb_album/media/The-cover-of--December-20-001.jpg.html][IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/bfb_album/The-cover-of--December-20-001.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="Gluestick"]Having the present misfortune to be spending quite some time in Essex, I would say that the female cartoon was remarkably, precise!

[/quote]

Hmmm.............missing some details, methinks.

Where are the nose and eyebrow piercings, the pasty, bare legs to go with the pelmet length skirt (this in the midst of winter, naturally) and the sky high stilletoes on which she can totter along?

Pasty bare legs mint? Usually the girls around here who totter on very high heels, half nekkid in mid winter, are rather 'orange' due to whichever sort of tanning thing they use. In truth they don't usually have nose and eyebrow piercings either. Some are over weight, but not always, in fact there are some beautiful girls who seem to enjoy their 'look' AND having eyebrows like slugs on their brows and looking like ........ well, words actually fail me.

Normally, Mint, this time of year (to be fair) it's the scruffy adult "Babygrow" outfit, with dirty pink socks and dirty trainers. De rigueure is circa four inches of the pasty white flesh you mentioned, which is scaling and suffers numerous varicose veins, between the slack pink socks, and the leggings, since the sheer distension of gut, and the fact that the tattooed area around the gross naval piercing must at all times be on display.....even when -10C, means there is insufficient actual spare material to fit, adequately.

Obviously, multiple body piercings and tattoos are mandatory. As is the greasy stringy rat's nest of hair, suffering from umpteen bleaches and colour tints (depending on which utterly pointless celeb is in vogue at the time: very contemporaneous is our Essex Gel), pulled back into a parody of a Pony Tail and scrunched together by a grungy nasty elasticated ring.

Transports of delight...................

The first onesie I saw was in 2011 and when I looked it up it was Norweigan ski wear AND that one was around £300. How they have changed since then, and I know many people who love them for house wear. There are some funny folks around here, but I have yet to see someone walking the streets in one.

So where on earth Gluestick, are they so common place? It sounds vile, that is for sure.

[quote user="idun"]The first onesie I saw was in 2011 and when I looked it up it was Norweigan ski wear AND that one was around £300. How they have changed since then, and I know many people who love them for house wear. There are some funny folks around here, but I have yet to see someone walking the streets in one.

So where on earth Gluestick, are they so common place? It sounds vile, that is for sure.

[/quote]

Remember Harry Enfield, and Wayne and Waynetta Slob? Similar to the babygrow.

See Here:

Where? The dark edge of Essex, our temporary abode.

Things may have been like that back in 2011, when that particular issue of CH was published. Maybe they still are. I agree, the female is entirely representative of a certain stereotype. However, the bloke is no oil painting, either.mand nor are there fewer of his type than of his lady friend.

I had the misfortune to have to catch the drain the other week and it was a sea of grey. Including the skin tone.

[quote user="idun"]I remember Wayne and Waynetta, with the wonderful Kathy Burke.

IF it is really like that in Essex, then I hope you are moving soon. I can put up with a lot, but never for long.

[/quote]

Kathy Burke, yes: and extremely clever actress.

Soon: some loose ends to sort and then?????

and then ?????

Yes, that question of where to live.

IF the UK leaves the EU then I have a very grotty looking village in Brittany in mind, or maybe Ireland. Don't know. Certainly not so bad where we are at the moment, but I am very flexible as to where I live, however, there are limits, and not Essex, by the sounds of it, although surely there are some lovely parts of Essex?

I lived in Clavering for around 2 years. The village now seems to be known for having Jamie Oliver's dad's pub - The Cricketers.

I think Jamie Oliver was just a little kid at the time.  A lovely village and all the surrounding villages were as well.

[quote user="idun"]and then ?????

IF the UK leaves the EU then I have a very grotty looking village in Brittany in mind, or maybe Ireland. Don't know. Certainly not so bad where we are at the moment, but I am very flexible as to where I live, however, there are limits, and not Essex, by the sounds of it, although surely there are some lovely parts of Essex?

[/quote]

Lovely parts of Essex, idun?

Yes there were; and sort of, still are. One of my closest chums live in Dedham: if one drifts along the main road, such as it is, to the Sun Hotel, then this sits on a corner from which the site where Constable painted The Hay Wayne is still visible; since Suffolk lies just along the way. However, although Dedham Vale, years ago, was declared a site of scenic interest, gradually, development eats into it.... Same, sadly, with Suffolk and now Norfolk. You would simply not believe the drugs problems in hitherto "quiet" parts of Norfolk, now.

At the risk of being accused of racism, the core problem seems to have been caused by "White Flight" from London and high London bubble property prices: as floods of incomers finish up in London, then extant residents themselves migrate. This then places significant strain on housing which lies in commutable areas to London. However, young locals cannot afford a house.

At present, certain parts of Kent near to the M20 (and thus the Tunnel), are probably where we shall finish up: or coastal Sussex; fed up to the teeth with the dreadful drive along the A 13; M25 and M20!

[quote user="idun"]and then ?????

[/quote]As I gather you are happy living in the NE of England I am puzzled why you would vote for the UK to leave the EU when it would mean you would either have to move to Ireland or back to France in which case why leave France in the first place

As I said, 'IF the UK leaves the EU'. I didn't say how I would vote....... now did I?[:D]

Why did we leave France, we never ever had any intention of staying for our dotage. 

Also, I never imagined that there might be possibility of a referendum about the UK leaving either......... and as I have poor a opinion of politicians, we still have to get to that point of having a say.

I am pragmatic, I like to consider what may happen and what we would do, 'if'. Just seems the sensible thing to do really.