Allopneus or 123pneus ? Is one better than the other ?

suein56

My very old car needs some new tyres so I am appealing for help in finding a reliable, easy to deal with company from which to buy 4 new ones.

As an aside I don't suppose there is ever a reduction given for buying 4 at once ? Is it worth asking ?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Sue

There is no one better than the other. In fact I think most of the online suppliers are just sub brands of the same Germany company.

quelpneu.com is a useful price comparison site.

What makes or breaks the experience is the fitting which is done at local garages, where quality of work and attitude vary massively. Check for reviews before deciding on a fitting centre.

I used to call in or ring around, and still do. I ask friends for comments too.

I have ended up at all sorts of places, Norauto, Feu Vert, Carrefour even Euromaster which I always supposed cher.

All these places do promos from time to time.

I have never bought on line.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I would just go to Speedy.....[/quote]

I wouldn't.....they couldn't track (parallelisme) a front set of wheels if their life depended on it following fitting a new set of tyres. 

I'd be very wary of Feu Vert also, they can be 'sharp'. Back in the 90's following a rear offside puncture, they tried to stiff me with four new tyres as according to them it was the law in France. Yeah right.

Our Leclerc Auto have a promo on at the moment so likely to be nation wide.

Buying tyres these days is as easy as falling off a bike but as Dave 21478 said "What makes or breaks the experience is the fitting"

regards

cajal

If you are likely to be doing any "winter" driving - by which I mean snow and ice rather the December to February - I would tend towards big brand makes such as Continental, Michelin etc rather than more obscure brands. ADAC tests tend to show that these brands perform better than the cheapies. Not always the case and some cheapies do come out well, but the problem is as always, knowing which will be good for your sized wheels. Whereas the big brands seldom do badly - although sometimes might just be average.

Your tyres are probably the most important safety element of your car and skimping for a few euros could prove to be a poor investment.

Have used Allopneus and was very happy with their service and also the fitting agent, who was superb in ensuring that the wheels were perfectly balanced.

There again, Allopneus merely supplies the tyres and providing they arrive on time the important part of the chain is the fitting centre chosen.

A ittle bit of local knowledge for you suein56:-

As you are in South Morbihan, if you go to Intermarche Hyper in Pontivy - Rue de Cities Unities, in their car park near the fuel station is a small garage/service station. They sell and fit tyres/batteries/exhausts etc and do basic servicing.

They seem very popular and I've heard that somebody there speaks a bit of english.

The best tyre place in Morbihan is Piete tyres:-

http://www.piete-pneus.fr/

M Piete speaks english.

Don't go to Vulco - rude and unhelpful.

Best of luck

Thank you to all those who replied - your thoughts and insights have been most helpful.

My,

very good, garage quoted me a price that I thought was a tad on the

high side for 4 new tyres, the same as I have now (Michelin) and which

have lasted for 11 1/2 years [:-))].

The conundrum being that, I want

to be safe, as tyres are the only contact with the road that we have,

but my car is not going to last another 11 years - possibly neither am I

- and I do not need tyres which are going to last so long.

So I

decided to do some research and found that the likes of allopneus etc

will provide genuine, quality tyres at cheaper prices and suggest

garages where to have them fitted

Our nearest local fitter would be

even closer than my garage and he comes with many positive accolades

regarding the care he takes with fitting, so I am thinking that this is

the way to go.

Thanks to all once again.

Sue

To save further money, look for Falken Ziex tyres - significantly cheaper than the premium brands like Michelin but with wet grip ratings (the most important) comparable or even higher than the big names.

Even the cheapest of Chinese sh1te will grip ok on dry roads, but can be lethal in the wet. The Falkens are the highest rated wet grip tyres in the midrange price sector, second only to Uniroyal Rainsports which offer even better grip but in my experience a shorter lifespan.