French elections: primaries for the right wing candidate

NormanH

For the few people who are interested in who well may be the next President:

the second televised debate among the candidates for the right is tonight.

To get an idea of the differences between their different positions this is an interesting site:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/elections/presidentielles/comparateur/primaires-droite/

As I have often said this election is in many ways more important to those of us who actually live full-time in France than all the shenanigans in the UK.

Well, that got a lot of replies, Norman. Sometimes I think it is a bit like commenting on the price of beer in Munich whilst Hitler's Brownshirts were killing Jews in the backstreets. ( Yes, I know that is a bit rough, guys)

So, a a debate that was boring and narrow, dictated far too much by a 'Daily Mail' sensationalist agenda and Sarkozy. Really that little man is like a parasitis worm that gets everywhere.

However, one positive which a couple of my French friends have been quietly pushing for a while and I for months, clever little rugger, is the advance of Francois Fillon who may well be the surprise package of the election. Can he do it and beat the FN? Hmmm, remains to be seen. He is not far from the kind of major push that coul get him there,

Norman - I'm very interested in french politics, but nowhere near as knowledgeable as you are.

I started buying the Figaro a few weeks ago, just getting the hang of it.

I've been reading the Depeche du Midi for years, and now realise it's completely left, almost Communist, which is my style.

I know I don't want the FN - they had an office in Mirande before the elections ?last year, but am glad to see they've now abandonned the place. Apparently they're not wanted here - which is what I told one of their canvassers at the time.

We should be taking more interest in the politics here. We don't have french TV,  but I watch France 24.

Well, as I think I have mentioned before, the local candidate that everyone knows around here is Juppé.

Fillon, yes, can't say I paid much attention when he was the PM but we do know that his wife is Welsh.............[:)]

Never could stand Sarkozy, talks non stop.  I think the French say he has une langue pendule?

No doubt also une langue de bois.

Used to read both le Figaro and le Monde but nowadays, I am hardly ever at home during the day and, in the evenings, I like to do other more interesting things or maybe even catch up on the housework and the cooking that I have neglected during the day[:-))]

I saw a little of it and read that link you gave NH.

Fillon seems ok, and as one of my best friends is welsh, I would hope that a welsh wife would keep him grounded.

Sarko, I hate and loathe and Juppe, well there has been worse, although I'd prefer that he wasn't president, but if it were between he and Marine, then it would have to be him.

Idun wrote : Sarko, I hate and loathe

Last night on C'est dans l'air the interesting team of political journalists were more or less unanimous in their view that Sarko had won the previous night's debate.

Which surprised me as he had been slated ref the first debate.

Their views of each candidate were fascinating for someone like me who joined the audience only 11 years ago.

Sue

[quote user="NormanH"]

On Sarkozy:

http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/politique/election-presidentielle-2017/20161102.OBS0629/sarkozy-de-neuilly-a-la-primaire-40-ans-de-mauvaises-frequentations.html[/quote]

Goodness gracious; I knew that he was shady but not the extent of the shadiness.

Do you think that all the parties are, more or less, the same behind the front they portray ?

There was a French series on More 4 'les Hommes de l'Ombre' or smthg similar, and it was full of corruption, back stabbing, genuine stabbing and other nefarious actions. Seems it was more true to real-life politics than I thought at the time [:-))] .

Sue

Norman wrote:

"For the few people who are interested in who well may be the next President"

Norman, I doubt very much that the average British expat living in/thinking of moving to France could name a contender for the next presidential election never mind care who wins !!.

It annoys me to hell the amount of Brexit threads arguing the toss across all expat French forums, yet those who are the most vocal clearly have no idea what is happening in France at the moment because they think it will not affect them. Dream on idiots.

I dare say Ryanair closing a route into Bergerac airport from the UK would be more concerning for most.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Norman wrote:

"For the few people who are interested in who well may be the next President"

Norman, I doubt very much that the average British expat living in/thinking of moving to France could name a contender for the next presidential election never mind care who wins !!.

It annoys me to hell the amount of Brexit threads arguing the toss across all expat French forums, yet those who are the most vocal clearly have no idea what is happening in France at the moment because they think it will not affect them. Dream on idiots.

I dare say Ryanair closing a route into Bergerac airport from the UK would be more concerning for most.[/quote]

What is it to do with you whether the "average British expat" could name anybody to do with French politics or not?

NOT your problem is it?  Just worry about what you yourself know or don't know and let the "average British expat" think for himself or herself.

If whoever is the next French president impacts his or her life, positively or negatively, it's up to them and NOTHING to do with you[:P]

If Brexit threads annoy you "to hell".........well, DON'T read them.  I don't normally read YOUR posts because er.............I find them ill-conceived, ignorant and, yes, annoying!

As for you calling people "idiots", I don't think you are in a position to decide who are "idiots"!  You certainly are not what I would call "superior" and "non-idiotic" in any shape or form.

Why shouldn't people, even your "average British expat" think or write what interests them and is of importance to them?

Leave people alone and, if anything annoys "the hell" out of you, I suggest that you don't read it, OK?

Now here's a man I can't make out at all.  I've heard him speak in English and in French and still, I don't "get" him!

[url]http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/le-scan/2016/11/05/25001-20161105ARTFIG00129-emmanuel-macron-accuse-le-fn-de-salir-la-republique.php[/url]

No, Norman, IMHO, was not patronising anybody.  He stated what is probably true, that only "few people" would be interested.

He didn't call people idiots or said he was annoyed that people weren't interested.

You, OTOH....................well, we know what you said.

If I have been a bit harsh on you, I do apologise, ALBF[:)]

It's not how I am normally but I felt I wanted to fly the flag for those people who are too shy or too peaceable to challenge you.  For myself, I am not overly bothered about what people write or think:  it's their prerogative.

Don't worry Mint no offence taken. I have got used to you. LOL

My point being that French politics is more important than UK politics for those living in/ thinking of moving to France.

Endless Brexit threads in forum world suggest otherwise. They are idiots for thinking not.

Back on thread, the social economics of France is more of an important topic than who will get elected as president on a French forum. They all come from the same school and will all reappear if they lose in 7 years time come the next election. In the meantime nothing will change.

The problem ALBF is that expats had (in the main) an opportunity to influence Brexit - and some seem to still believe they can.

Re the French presidential elections, the number of expats with an opportunity to vote must be miniscule - yourself (I assume) excluded. This means they will be dealt with whomever they are dealt.

FWIW it seems from local views that if Sarky is chosen MLP will win the right wing vote by a margin, and unlike her dad will probably not meet with an "anyone but Le Pen" vote in the final run off.

Here goes:

Nathalie Arthaud

Philippe Poutou

Olivier Besancenot

Jean-Luc Mélenchon

Eva Joly

Cécile Duflot

Nicolas Hulot

François Hollande

Manuel Valls

Arnaud Montebourg

Martine Aubry

Emmanuel Macron

François Bayrou

Nicolas Sarkozy

Alain Juppé

François Fillon

Bruno Le Maire

Jean-François Copé

Nicolas Dupont-Aignan

Philippe de Villiers

Jacques Cheminade

Marine Le Pen

OK?

Dream on idiots.

No doubt all these idiots across all the t
he expat French forums speak equally highly of yourself......prat.

regards

cajal

Oooh!

A Flame War! At le weekend too!

[url=http://cool-smileys.com//smiley-shouting-flame-war][img]http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/244.gif[/img][/url]

Point of fact I have sympathy with both of your perspectives.

Personally, I do follow French politics: indeed, when in la belle, Mrs Gluey and I only have French TV and follow les journals.

Also, of course, being interested and following global politics (my core reason is Political Economy), I speculate on most Western (and some) non-Western nation states.

Simple fact; today, a majority are more concerned with trivia, than politics: and cannot even name prominent ministers of state.

Simple fact two: far too many Brits, decide to migrate to France, Spain, Cyprus, wherever, on a sort of whim and rose tinted lunettes and fail, to carry out much primary research. And whine post facto when their dream goes pearshaped...

Brexit whingeing is invariably rooted in personal selfish concerns. Certainly is amongst the big biz exploiting lot; those who engaged in Project Fear, particularly.

So sadly, a few years back I lost a dear friend; totally bi-lingual and originally, a British lawyer, who loved France. At over 60 years of age he studied and became an Avocat, serving the Boulogne bar as a criminal defence lawyer. His knowledge of French politics was encyclopaedic; I would dearly love to discuss this most interesting situation and ramifications with him today.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]@ Cajal

It is 'plouc' not 'prat'. Lol.

Come on young man, make an effort if you want to insult someone on a French forum.[/quote]

ALBF - you seem to be able to insult without any effort, it comes naturally.

[quote user="Gluestick"]You have proven a point, cajal; probably with some assistance from Google!

[:P]

Oh dear. Have I stolen your thunder?  And I suppose your knowledge is all cranium based?

However, Ad hominem attacks are most unpleasant and totally unnecessary.

[:(]

So let me get this straight. It's perfectly acceptable to refer to a whole swathe of people as idiots?......prat

[/quote]

regards

cajal

[quote user="cajal"]

Oh dear. Have I stolen your thunder?  And I suppose your knowledge is all cranium based?[/quote]

Amazing!

Have you not realised, ALL "Knowledge" tends to be lodged in the brain?

Where did you think it resided?

In your.........I won't finish that, as it is really far too obvious to state.

[Www]

Now then girls, keep it cool or the handbags will do some damage or even worse, spread their contents across the floor for all to see. And then we would all know that you keep a spare pair in the handbag, just in case,

I think you will have to add a Communist party candidate to that list, whomsoever the poor rugger might be when he or she or it has been chosen.