Le Tour

Given that France operates a strict 35 hour working week for its citizens/residents, how do the contestants and support staff participating in the annual event manage to circumnavigate these restrictive legislated rules?

As far as I am aware a working week on the tour would include more than just the race hours but also travelling from one destination to another and also the pre and post race fitnes/training schedules.

Today, as you will all know, is day 9.

As an observation footballers hours, however, will struggle to even register on a working week scale compared to these guys.

The idea of a 35 hour week is very general, and is often used as a target for ridicule.

In fact it is much more complicated than the crude picture often painted , and it depends on which 'branche' you work,  and the 'convention' under which your contract was established.

There are also  various 'dérogations'...

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1911

Thanks for the link NH.

The get out clause is all laid out here:

Durée maximale quotidienne

La durée de travail effectif ne doit pas dépasser la durée maximale de 10 heures par jour, sauf dérogations. Celles-ci sont accordées dans les cas suivants :

• à la demande de l'employeur, sous réserve de l'accord de l'inspecteur du travail,
  • en cas d'urgence liée à un surcroît temporaire d'activité,
  • si

une convention ou un accord d'entreprise ou d'établissement (ou, à

défaut, une convention ou un accord de branche) prévoit le dépassement

de la durée de 10 heures, en cas d'activité accrue ou pour des motifs

liés à l'organisation de l'entreprise, et dans la limite de 12 heures

par jour de travail effectif.

Durées maximales hebdomadaires

La durée de travail effectif hebdomadaire ne doit pas dépasser les deux limites suivantes :

• 48 heures sur une même semaine,
  • et 44 heures par semaine en moyenne sur une période de 12 semaines consécutives.

Par

exemple, si un salarié est amené à travailler 48 heures hebdomadaires

pendant 6 semaines d'affilée, puis 40 heures les 6 semaines suivantes,

il aura travaillé en moyenne 44 heures hebdomadaire sur la période de 12

semaines consécutives. Il ne dépasse donc pas les durées maximales

hebdomadaires de travail autorisées.

Par dérogation, la durée

maximale sur une semaine peut être augmentée en cas de circonstances

exceptionnelles, jusqu'à 60 heures maximum (sous réserve d'accord de

l'inspection du travail).

Le dépassement de la durée moyenne de 44

heures est possible, dans la limite de 46 heures sur une période de 12

semaines consécutives, dans les conditions suivantes :

• si une

convention ou un accord d'entreprise ou d'établissement (ou, à défaut,

une convention ou un accord de branche) le prévoit,
  • à défaut de convention ou d'accord, après autorisation de l'inspection du travail.

I also suspect sporting and other special events attract an automatic 'by' from the powers that be.

As a side issue, I can't bring myself to watch re-runs of Richie Porte's unfortunate collision into Dan Martin. Horrific

Leaving aside any question of doping in the sport etc, I have to say how extraordinary I find the prowess of these cyclists.

I have been over a few sections of the route in a car and that exhausted me; [:-))]

and the couple of times I have seen them pass in town they hurtle along narrow badly-surfaced streets at an incredible rate.

[quote user="NormanH"]Leaving aside any question of doping in the sport etc, I have to say how extraordinary I find the prowess of these cyclists.

I have been over a few sections of the route in a car and that exhausted me; [:-))]

and the couple of times I have seen them pass in town they hurtle along narrow badly-surfaced streets at an incradible rate.

[/quote]

One of the toughest sports going. The performance of these guys is simply incredible. On the Grand Tours they aren't just riding a one day, but back to back days. Quite fantastic speeds both uphill and downhill. Plus, if at all possible they get up and carry on riding after quite horrendous crashes.  Tough, tough guys.

[quote user="NormanH"]Leaving aside any question of doping in the sport etc, I have to say how extraordinary I find the prowess of these cyclists.

I have been over a few sections of the route in a car and that exhausted me;
[:-))][/quote]

In a car? Hey, I'm worn out whilst slouched on a settee watching them .

[quote user="NormanH"]

and the couple of times I have seen them pass in town they hurtle along narrow badly-surfaced streets at an incredible rate.

[/quote]

Yes, and the irony is that the stretch where Richie Porte had his unfortunate incident was that it was freshly laid black top. Damp and grease don't really cut it for a cyclist at any speed let alone downhill bends on the tour.

[quote user="woolybanana"]What impressed me today was the way the the other riders made Fabio Arou slow down after he had taken unfair advantage of Chris Froome's mechanical breakdown.; a real code of ethics which is rare in sport these days.[/quote]

+1

[quote user="Hoddy"]I'm expecting it to whizz by here at about 3.20 tomorrow afternoon. I wonder if ALBF will be watching to see why those of us who live here love it so ?[/quote]

Isn't he having trouble with his eyesight?  It could well be a blurr and in that case he'll possibly mistake it for Hampshire.

How beautiful the Dordogne looked today, delightful villages, clean and neat, clearly the pride of their owners. And Eymet particularly was a picture; it must be a treat to live there.

Excellent crowds too, well behaved, plenty of the Union Jack crowd there.

A nice easyish day tomorrow on paper but will someone launch a long range attack on CF?

Then Thursday, the serious business begins again.

The sofa awaits!

No need to feel embarrassed, Eric.  It's like that too at Wimbledon:  you should hear the way they clap and stamp their feet and cheer and do Mexican waves or whatever when Andy Murray's opponent serves a double fault[6]

No bloody manners..................