Forums are alive.......

Forums are alive with people asking questions about moving to France before Brexit.

There are a few serious 'expat'/immigrant' forums out there (not the idiot one...where they only talk about themselves) where many British types are asking about moving to France before the UK leaves the UK....LOL

Ummm !!!

I am thinking, why do they want to move to France ? Would moving to France be a case of jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire ?

Do these people know France ?

How many people know France before moving ?

I think the question of do you really know the area you are planning to move to applies wherever you are. Even within the UK. You did your research on schools, better areas to live, distance to the railway station, etc - but do you really know the area, its local culture and customs?

Moving to another country probably just adds another magnitude of difficulty.

Why France? They have possibly been on holiday here. They may well have learned (and forgotten) French at school. House prices are cheap (out of the major conurbations) and they can aspire to properties that would be an unaffordable fortune in the UK.

They probably think that the weather will be so much warmer all year round based on their 2 weeks in summer. The number of visitors who are gob-smacked when we say we have to be prepared for snow in the winter and to be cut off from the towns with the supermarkets for several days. We show them photos of the house and garden under a couple of feet of snow. "What year was that?". "Every year." is the reply. So we take them for a walk through the village and point out the mountains on the other side of the Rhone valley. "See those? That's where Ski Sunday is made." "Ah now I see." But I am still not sure they really believe.

From what I've read and heard on the media here (UK) and on some forums, some people are panicking about what will happen post 31 March 2019.So try to escape.

If I was younger I think I would be too.

It's all 'min ha'shomayim' - make the best of it.

True Idun.  We had always gone as head told us before, and then retirement beckoned.  We'd always planned to move out of Central London when that happened, as we wanted the space back that we'd had earlier.  I remember saying, having done lots of research, and indeed spent many years in France on hols, including sharing ownership of a family holiday home, that it was the time in our lives to let our hearts rule our heads.  Do we regret it?  Occasionally, and yes, a move back when / or needs must is not ignored, but we hope not just yet.  Meanwhile I try to think of it as adventure, but current happenings do not help in that aim ... may Brexit be cursed!

Judith wrote 'True Idun'.

I cannot see the post I posted last night. How odd. So my post has 'died', not 'alive'[Www]

------------------------------------------------

funny isn't it, someone has recently complained to me that their bank clerks don't speak english, they have a holiday home where they spend a LOT of time. I have no idea why they would expect that in another country, but there you go.

Idun - I deleted two posts this morning and one of the deletions took your post with it. I cannot now move it back but here is a copy :-

LOL that must just about be the same question I asked on here nearly 20 years ago.

I still never get it.

I must say though that no one has actually said this to me recently in my everyday life, whereas it would be mentioned on a fairly regular basis about 12 years ago by a variety of people when they knew I lived in France.

As I have said before, we simply moved for a bit of an adventure, that I do get.

Andy4H - not gremlins just a moderator trying single handedly to keep things going with inadequate software.

[quote user="Hoddy"]

Andy4H - not gremlins just a moderator trying single handedly to keep things going with inadequate software.[/quote]

Hoddy, we are aware of how much you do to keep the forum ticking over and we thank you for your sterling efforts!  Indeed,  MOST of us try to behave ourselves and not give you undue work.[:)]

Back on thread !!!

The point is, I have seen lots of threads about people wanting to move to France because of Brexit. People with teenage kids that have yet to do their GCSE's and all that. The parents are desperate. Sôd the kids education. I want to live in France !! "They will move if they like it not" kind of attitude.

What is going on. Like I said 'jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire'.

Should you move to France because of Brexit ?

Hmmm....no !!!

Plus....they have potentially left it too late to fulfil

any likely residency requirements, not to mention

small things like earning a living: which, setting

aside "running gites" and the usual old chestnuts,

might be more of a problem than it already is if they

need a work permit -and a job!

Wonder if the political situation in the UK is worrying people?

When I retired we moved from Surrey to Lincolnshire, what a change....people speak when you pass them with a cheerful 'good morning'.

Perhaps, it might be just the area of France that we spend time in but really like the perceived politeness of people.