Memories: Words on a bookshelf!

The other day someone casually checking out the jungle that is my somewhat depleted library suddenly swooped on a book with a little squeak of joy, as people do, and pulled out this little gem: "Les Traquenards de la Version Angliase", published by Hachette in 1928. It is a little book designed to help those poor souls who have to translate from French into English for exams.

The discovery was followed by a sequence of ever rising chortles and guffaws which brought me running as my books are not known to be that funny, and I did wonder whether there could be a dust allergy causing the laughter as the book had been uncleaned for quite a number of years.

Anyway, you might like to share a raised lip at some of the texts which were given to students as examples of translation, and wonder perhaps just what the texts in their examinations were like in those historic days. Tackling the actual translations is optional!

I think you will agree that the examples themselves may well account for the occasional 'misunderstandings' between our two nations and why so many French look at the English language with trepidation.

-We have fought for right and liberty.

- I am a mortal. I was a boy here.

-You shall not be a widow long.

- He had been quite familiar with an old ghost in a white waistcoat.

- The scarecrow had a pumpkin for a head and a broomstick by way of a spinal column.

- No rose without a thorn.

- An idle man is seldom happy. A man of cruelty is God's enemy.

- He had a noble gait.

- She was expecting him with anxious eagerness.

- I do not ask what is your leading motive for working: you may have families to support, parents to help, brides to win.

- The English army was posted on the northern, and the French army occupied the southern ridge.

- The audacity of his spirit was the more remarkable because his physical organization was unusually delicate.

- He was thick-lipped, sheep-eyed.

- The French enjoy much greater liberty than is the case with their English friends.

-No nation ever had so many ships as are daily to be seen between London and Greenwich.

- Wellington justly considered it important to protect Brussels

- Walking is a good exercise. But thinking of an absent wife, Will blanch a faithful cheek.

- The very cattle that would trample a white man to death allow themselves to be banged and bullied and shouted at by boys.

- The bulk of the forces with which France began the war were insurrectional levies which could not be depended on.

- I thought that ten thousand swords would have leapt from their scabbards to avenge even a look which threatened her with insult.

And finally, that ever wonderful phrase which we should all hold to our bosoms:

- Very few mongooses, however wise and old they may be, care to follow a cobra into it hole!

as well as the heroic

- The tiller rope had been shot away

and the relieved

- The Germans are said to have disarmed at last.

and the moral(!)

- Good luck and strong white teeth go with the noble children that they may never forget the hungry in this world.

Norman, wanna translate some of them?

I suppose it's up to French teachers of English to use topical material in their lessons, but I do wish they stressed the importance of correct pronunciation a little more.

My wife had her wallet, with her bank card, TdS, and a few Euros in it, stolen a week or so ago while at the local clinic.

We reported it immediately to the bank, but on returning home there was a phone message awaiting to advise us it had been found discarded in the clinic car park, minus only the cash. Unfortunately they didn't have her mobile number.

The following morning we went to our bank to check the situation.

After announcing our presence via the touch screen system, a young-ish man exited his booth, and I explained, in French, what had happened, that we now had the card back, and was it actually cancelled?

He replied, in English, which he obviously felt was better than my French, "No, you can use the card"

I said, still in French, "But I was told on the phone that it would be cancelled"

He motioned me to look at the screen in his cubicle, tapped a few keys, looked at the screen, and said "You will get a new card in a few days, you can use the old card"

"Pourquoi vous envoyez une nouvelle carte si ma femme peut utiliser l'ancienne?" I said, fearing my French must be incomprehensible to him.

Visibly agitated, he impatiently replied "I said she CAN use the old card - C, A, N, T, - CAN"

I suggested he use "cannot" or "can not" in future, but felt my words were falling on deaf ears.

[quote user="nomoss"]
I suppose it's up to French teachers of English to use topical material in their lessons, but I do wish they stressed the importance of correct pronunciation a little more.

My wife had her wallet, with her bank card, TdS, and a few Euros in it, stolen a week or so ago while at the local clinic.

We reported it immediately to the bank, but on returning home there was a phone message awaiting to advise us it had been found discarded in the clinic car park, minus only the cash. Unfortunately they didn't have her mobile number.

The following morning we went to our bank to check the situation.

After announcing our presence via the touch screen system, a young-ish man exited his booth, and I explained, in French, what had happened, that we now had the card back, and was it actually cancelled?

He replied, in English, which he obviously felt was better than my French, "No, you can use the card"

I said, still in French, "But I was told on the phone that it would be cancelled"

He motioned me to look at the screen in his cubicle, tapped a few keys, looked at the screen, and said "You will get a new card in a few days, you can use the old card"

"Pourquoi vous envoyez une nouvelle carte si ma femme peut utiliser l'ancienne?" I said, fearing my French must be incomprehensible to him.

Visibly agitated, he impatiently replied "I said she CAN use the old card - C, A, N, T, - CAN"

I suggested he use "cannot" or "can not" in future, but felt my words were falling on deaf ears.

[/quote]

Somehow I can see this playing out exactly as you have described.  And your suggestion was excellent, but as you said doubtful he will have 'gotten the drift.'