Provence or Perpignan?

Rose

Dear all... I would like to ask for your advise again if I may! [:D]

We're planning a little trip in April and we're in two minds as to the best place to go.  We love the area around Perpignan and Carcassonne so this is a possibility but we've never been to Provence ([:'(]) so we wonder if we should drive down in that direction. 

The main thing I'd like to know is what will the weather be like in either place... we're not looking for wall to wall sun but just wondering if one area will be more favourable at this time of year... we're planning to go 17th to 24th April... also happy to have recommendations for gites in either area

many thanks for any ideas [:)]

April in Provence is normally very nice.  Sunny, with little rain.  However, it is always very hard to predict the weather.  It can also depend on exactly where in Provence you are considering.  Some of the higher elevations may still be chilly.  At least you should beat the heavy crowds, although I'm not sure what day Easter falls on this year.

We went to Provence camping in May about 5 years ago. When we left Aude (we are half way between Carcassonne and Perpignan) it was raining, in Provence it was warm and sunny, when we returned after two weeks it was still raining. As I said that was 5 years ago.

I guess the reluctance of people to answer is because you just can't predict the weather that far in advance. You can make a guess based on past history but that's all it is and nobody would want to give you duff advice and ruin your holiday.

What I can say about Perpignan which is some 50 minutes from where I live is that it is normally around 5 deg hotter than here but it can be quite windy at times during the winter and spring.

Hi guys, thanks for the infomation and don't worry I won't hold any of you to the weather advice.  Just really wanted a general average.  Interesting about the wind Quillan as this was one of my concerns... I know the mistral lives down south but didn't know where or when it's likely to be bad.  I have had a look at the weather history online but just interested to hear from the horses mouth.

cheers anyway [:)]

I live in the Var near Brignoles.  You could do a nice tour taking in Avignon, Arles and Aix. As others have pointed out you cannot predict the weather so far ahead.  The last week has been cold in early mornings and evenings, but lovely and sunny from about 10 to 4.30ish.   The mistral has, I gather from locals, been unusually quiet the last year.

[quote user="Rose"]

. I know the mistral lives down south but didn't know where or when it's likely to be bad.  I have had a look at the weather history online but just interested to hear from the horses mouth.

cheers anyway [:)]

[/quote]

The mistral  is a north wind which blows down the Rhone valley and can be very irritating in that part of Provence  even as far east as Marseille, and certainly near Avignon.

I belive that Lori who sometimes posts on here can tell you about that.

The wind near Narbonne/Perpignan is either the Tramontane (from the north) also known locally as the vent do Nord, or the Marin if it comes off the sea.

The Tramontane brings clear bright weather but is a cold wind.

The Marin brings overcast humid conditions that can be exhausting in the summer

You can see a map of prevailing winds here

I really wouldn't get hung up about the Mistral.  Sure, if it blows, it's not very pleasant, but you can get get dodgy weather, wherever or whenever you go in the world. Spring starts around here in 6 wks time - roll on!

The suggestion re the '3A's' is good and basing yourselves within easy reach of all of them would be good, not only for them, but other less 'touristy' places. 

Have had to recce gites locally recently for another reason - if you want more info, would be happy to provide it.  PM me if you want to pursue it.

Know both areas very well but Provence better.  However Provence too is huge from the coast inland to the Var and which is wonderful then continue on towards Avignon up the Rhone Valley for the wine a week would not be enough you will spend that criss crossing the place in a car unless you are careful.  People will tell you that one of the best markets around is Isle Sur Sorgue (it is) and then link that with its expensive antiques area thats a day. Go to Avignon another day.  Then St Remy another day hope you get the message.

Thanks for all the info chaps.. we've now booked a gite near Nimes... it was the haribo museum and the roman ruins that swung it for our son!  We've never been to this part of France and the more I find out the more I realise that one week is not enough!  But there's always the next time!

Thanks for your help [:)]

Not far from Nimes, over towards the Cevennes is this place.
I was taken for my birthday.
This is taken from a review

Heston Blumental, Fat Duck
'A summer favourite is Domaine de Blancardy in Moules et Baucels, north of Montpellier. Several years ago I got interested in going to French farms that open as restaurants and this one is my favourite. They serve stunning food from the farm in a beautiful 14th-century courtyard. Try duck confit or they make their own foie gras, or go for roast goat and excellent potatoes cooked in duck fat, all washed down with wine that is made on the premises.'

Moules et Baucels, Ganges, France, 00 33 46773 9494, www.blancardy.com

I have no connection  

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the restaurant link, we'll give it a try!  I am so looking forward to our little holiday!  It's odd as we could have gone to so many different places... using tesco club card vouchers... initially a Nile Cruise was on the agenda... then USA, Cyprus, Tunisa, all over... but in the end we decided to go to France!  Much to the amusement of our friends and family!!  My only worry is now that I'll love it so much I'll want to move... but then I love the area around Perpignan too... infact I love lots of places in France!  [:D] [:D]

ok, I'm rambling... I'll close now shall I? [:$]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="gardengirl "]

Message for Rose; just had a message from Postmaster to say the PM I sent you couldn't be delivered.  Plus PM & email buttons again missing on my screen. Please PM or email me.

Jo

[/quote]

Jo, are you replying to a PM from the notification? You should reply from your PM box.

About the "missing" buttons, do you use a filter which blocks images? The Email and PM buttons are visible at the bottom of each post on my screen.