July 2011 has been the second coldest in 30 years in the south

NormanH

I've felt very sorry for the holidaymakers and the local restaurateurs.

Rain ...... sun ........ wind ........ rain ....... etc, etc.

The wind has actually been the worst bit: an average of 3-4 days every week of really gusty stuff.

Looks a bit better now though.

The cold wet weather started the day our neighbours arrived at their holiday home for the only two weeks they can afford this year. It brightened up the day before they left, on Friday.

If anyone is coming out for August all I can say is that its ok - they've gone now and taken the weather with them.

I felt so bad for them, the kids wanted to swim in the lake but they spent most of the time in front of the TV watching videos. They even had to light the woodburner.

Everywhere they went people told them that they had just missed a heatwave.

(and I tried not too look too pleased that the water buts are refilled and the garden looks less like a dustbowl)

And to think we return to UK for the cool of summer each year!  [:D]

Actually, when we left France in July it was too hot for me, and on arriving back in UK it was lovely - warm and sunny, but comfortable. That didn't last long - I even put the living room gas fire on twice! But the pleasant weather returned last week, and it's lovely again. I'd love to be out in the garden, but I'm being kept busy emptying the kitchen of 30 years-worth of 'stuff'!

"The French Met Office use automatic stations a lot, and they can be somewhat inaccurate! ( Unfortunately the UK Met Office are steadily automating also, so I may not be in a job in a couple of years.....)

Apparently it has been the coolest July in Europe since 1998".

From a guest who works for the Met office in the UK and is looking forward to their holiday! [:)]