The A26 - the most boring road in France?

St_Jacques

Is the A26 the most boring road in France? - particularly between Troyes and Reims!

We always used to complain about returning to the UK from 71 through Paris but at least there was always something exciting to break up the monotony (usually 10 mile bouchon around the peripherique!)

Dale

P.S I of cousre realise that it may have something to do with it being the road that returns me home to work after our wonderful fortnight at our home in the sun!

No, sorry, the most interminably boring bit of road in France must be the N10-E5 between Bordeaux and Bayonne! 150km of nothing but commercial pine forests, all at 110km/h, with the only light(!)entertainment provided by lorry drivers who tend to fall asleep every once in a while!

Are all these roads really more boring than the M25? (OK, here it comes) I spent 3 days on the M25 and after the first few hours the scenery just seem to repeat. I never seemed to get to the end so just came off eventually.

[quote]No, sorry, the most interminably boring bit of road in France must be the N10-E5 between Bordeaux and Bayonne! 150km of nothing but commercial pine forests, all at 110km/h, with the only light(!)enter...[/quote]

I was going to post this earlier but got timed out - so that's at least three votes now, the clear winner so far?

While the A26 may be boring, watch your speed as the Police love catching speeding motorist especially on the way back to Calais. At trick I saw a couple of months ago, was a Police car at the side of the road with the Policeman radar gun in hand, but just when you thought all was clear a few kilometres further on was a second police car. It did occur to me if you were speeding past both cars would the police at the Calais tolls give you 2 fines!!!.

Baz

Actually, talking about sneaky policemen, something made me laugh this week. When you go towards Bayonne on the A64, after it has seized to be a M-way, and the speed limit is 110 km/h, you will really have to look out for radar controls as there are lots of places for them to hide. They used to park a car just behind one of those huge green plastic things at the exits, but when people got wise to that they moved on to the next bridge which had some trees and bushes very conveniently located, so that you could only see the flic when it was already too late. Well, some enterprising person, who probably got caught from that bridge, went along and cut all the bushes down in the middle of the night, so there is nowhere to hide!

• 2 weeks later...
Did the E5 less than a week ago, unfortunately there was a terrible accident so was at a standstill for over an hour,  Biarritz-Bordeaux in over 3hours, very boring but grateful we had set off ten minutes later;  Personally I think the Rennes to Redon road is very boring, but that might be because my husband takes us up it lots to play cricket in Dol!!

Yes I would agree about the A26 but it does have the benefit of having low traffic flows through the middle regions. I remember a couple of years ago having the pleasure of total traffic absence for 20 minutes on my side of the road heading on a Sunday to Calais......you try the M1 on a Sunday afternoon!

But for real boredom the Belgian Motorways take some beating...... apart from there are plenty of coaches ( no tolls you see) hurtling to and from Central & Southern Europe.

My vote would go to the A20 south of Vierzon, the long straight stretches near Chateauroux, paralleling the old N20.

As for the A71 between Vierzon and Orleans, I love it. The forest is called "La Sologne", it smells lovely especially at night after a long hot day, it always seems different to me, many of the trees being deciduous. I really look forward to that part of my journey, and I've been doing it now 5 or so times a year for 4 years.

Alcazar