Hoverspeed

Will

From today's Lloyds List:

"Hoverspeed future hangs in balance
DOVER-Calais fast ferry firm Hoverspeed is set to make sweeping redundancies in the UK port while French employees claim they have been told the service will be axed outright."

When they scrapped Newhaven-Dieppe they made it plain that unless yields increased on Dover-Calais, then this would probably be its last year on the Channel. Prices if anything have been lower on both their main, and their bucket-shop site (Ferrysale) with cheap crossings available further in advance and throughout the season.

If Hoverspeed do withdraw, it will make it easier for Speedferries to edge up  their prices and may help to prop up their viability, which perversely may well turn out to be good news in the long-term.

I much prefer the Hoverspeed service to Speedferries. I find the old Hoverport at Dover much less stressful and crowded especially in the summer when you can get caught out with the bottle neck into the big East Docks where most of the other ferries dock.

Secondly I really enjoy the First Class upgrade. To me it represents very good value for money. For 40 odd euros for both of us we get a really peaceful seperate waiting room with free drinks and papers....plus a really comfortable seat in the first class cabon. Waiter service, wine and drinks brought to the table and a choice of  light meal, plus coffee. Its actually not much more than we'd spend on drinks and snacks that we had to queue up for in the main cabin. I'd recommend it...the whole trip stops being a bind and becomes a relaxing pleasant experience.

Speedferries....with whom we have several of the cheap pre-reserved tickets in case we need to pop over in unforseen circumstances...haven't really impressed me at all. The refreshments are absolutely foul. To my mind 'cheap' is all very well...but sometimes things can be TOO cheap and service comes at a price. I prefer some mid-ground.

Another word of warning about Speedferries. They very much operate a 'full-vessel' policy. So it behoves you to check in at the time specified before sailing. Like many of you who cross frquently we sometimes have cut things a bit fine....tho within reason....and never had any problems. Except with Speedferries. We were five minutes later than the prescribed checkin deadline ....a missed turning in Boulogne was to blame....and to our dismay we were turned away at the barrier. They ALWAYS have people waiting for standby tickets and are redhot when it comes to re-selling your ticket. Despite the boat still being loaded and it not leaving the berth for some considerable time we were faced with driving onto Calais to get a boat home.

If Hoverspeed go,perhaps Speedferries could operate from the old Hoverport as they do seem to be a bit squeezed into a corner at the Eastern docks. At least Speedferries started a major price war on the channel and made cross channel commuting to work a viable proposition. Long may they continue.

• 4 weeks later...

A press release issued at the end of last week by Sea Containers confirms that "Sea Containers is no longer able to support Hoverspeed’s losses on the English Channel so it will not operate the Dover-Calais route in 2006 or thereafter.  Hoverspeed has commenced consultation with staff as required by labor law, which will result in a significant number of redundancies.".

Its other ferry operations in the Baltic and New York are being put up for sale, while it is continuing with its profitable joint venture Mediterranean fast ferry operations.

Its ships are being put up for sale, as the company intends to operate what remains mainly with part-owned or chartered rather than wholly-owned vessels. So there may be an opening for Speedferries to expand its fleet - unfortunately the older Hoverspeed catamarans are no longer compliant with the regulations in force in major maritime nations like Britain so they will not be available for Channel routes.

[quote]With Hoverspeed going the screw will be tightened. Speedferries wont find it easier but a damn sight harder. For the big players it will be one down one to go Bob You read it here first[/quote]

What big players, with P&O going only leaves SeaFrance.