Telepeage doofer........

Alcazar

Got my OH one for his birthday - can't wait to try it out next week.  Having a RHD car I have the delightful task of being 'peage monitor' - quite a neat present really - don't think he's cottoned on to the fact yet that he doesn't benefit too much by having the thing [;-)] 

Kathie

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Ian Horn"]

My doofer is now emitting more of a strangled croak ...

[/quote]

Ooo-er, Ian.  You don't think that means its battery is running out do you?  Somewhere on this forum there was mention that they can run down, and I was wondering how on earth one would know.  Or would it not be till that embarrassing moment when you are stuck in the T lane and find the gadget won't work!  If you have had it for a year or two, it might be wise to take it to a Sanef station sometime and swop it for a new one.

Angela

Our battery failed after just over 3 years of use. I recall some others had the same problem after a similar period. It's obviously expected, as when we had problems the person in the booth diagnosed the problem - luckily ours failed at a small station with only one lane for both telepeage and payments.

[quote user="Loiseau"][quote user="Ian Horn"]

My doofer is now emitting more of a strangled croak ...

[/quote]

Ooo-er, Ian.  You don't think that means its battery is running out do you?  Somewhere on this forum there was mention that they can run down, and I was wondering how on earth one would know.  Or would it not be till that embarrassing moment when you are stuck in the T lane and find the gadget won't work!  If you have had it for a year or two, it might be wise to take it to a Sanef station sometime and swop it for a new one.

Angela

[/quote]

Could well be that, like me, it's getting past it's sell-by.  Will take your advice and drop by one of the 'boutiques' (as they now seem to call them) and tell the lady that my doofer is knackered.  Should make for a stimulating conversation ....................

"Mon doofer est foutu"

"Comment ???????"  

Cassis

I called SANEF and they sent me a new one PDQ. They charged me a deposit on the new one and I had to post the old one back and they then refunded the deposit on that one although the refund took a while to come through.

I think I could have just taken it into one of the bureaux for replacement but I was on my way back to the UK and didn't have the opportunity to do so.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm getting a bit nervous - I'll be using my doofer for the first time on Friday afternoon on the A16, heading down from Calais. Just me and the cat. What if it doesn't work - I'll feel such a fool! Reassurance needed please!

I felt exactly the same the first time I used ours; it was at a telepeage only lane.  I had to stop for a moment before the doofer beeped and the barrier went up.  Much relieved when it did!  It seemed to operate more quickly after the first one.  [:D]

Fay

In 4 years my doofer has only failed once.  So it doesn't happen very often.

If it does and you are entering the peage (as I was) the machine will issue a ticket.  Take the ticket and at the exit use a normal lane and hand over the ticket and the doofer.  They will scan the bar code on it, give it back and let you on your way.

If it fails at the exit then press the help button and someone will come.

Absolutely nothing to worry about really but I do understand how you feel

[quote user="Fay"]I'm getting a bit nervous - I'll be using my doofer for the first time on Friday afternoon on the A16, heading down from Calais. Just me and the cat. What if it doesn't work - I'll feel such a fool! Reassurance needed please![/quote]

I felt the same last month using mine for the first time - just mind and point it the right way - if it doesn't work, turn it round and you will get the reassuring beep!

Many thanks, everyone!

Yikes, which way round is an issue that didn't cross my mind - it seemed to me the only way round that it clipped in to the holder was with the bar-code-type stuff facing inwards...

Hey ho, with all your advice I am sure it will be fine.

[quote user="George"] blue tac works very well as a non permanent replacement adhesive for the holder[/quote]

Or if you want to transfer your doofer to a hire car or a friend's car use it to tack the doofer itself.

And in next week's Blue Peter ...