Are Ryanair now charging for NOT checking bags in?

chatnoir

I'm trying to book a flight to Carcassonne and back in January.  1p each way - brilliant.  Until you get to the "how many bags are you checking in?" question.  Choose the "0 Bags" option and it automatically adds £4.  (Choose any other number of bags, multiply it by 7 and that's how much it costs if you do put anything in the hold.)

Have I missed something here? Am I paying for the so-called "Priority boarding" - there's no option for no bags and standard boarding.  Has anyone else found this?

I know it's still very cheap to travel at this cost but I'm not going to pay for NOT doing something.  I'd rather pay an extra £30pp and go British Airways. 

Please let me know if I've missed the point

Cheers

M

Just answered my own question here.

I didn't read the print underneath the baggage option.  It contains a link to remove the priority boarding and travel with no bags and resets the cost to zero.

I still think this is a devious Ryanair ploy though.

Cheers

M

Ryanair was until recently encouraging people to book on-line and print their own boarding pass, this would also provide priority boarding as an incentive to do so. This of course saves Ryanair money and time. Well my husband did this yesterday but because it has become so popular they will now start charging £4 pounds to do so. Perhaps this is what happened with your booking. You have to hand it to them though, no stone gets unturned. [blink]

[quote user="WJT"]

Ryanair was until recently encouraging people to book on-line and print their own boarding pass, this would also provide priority boarding as an incentive to do so. This of course saves Ryanair money and time. Well my husband did this yesterday but because it has become so popular they will now start charging £4 pounds to do so. Perhaps this is what happened with your booking. You have to hand it to them though, no stone gets unturned. [blink]

[/quote]

We're not quite sure what the benefit of priority boarding is - personally we prefer to wait at the rear of the departure lounge and let the stampeding idiots crush each other.  Those who are allowed on first (those with children, disabled, priority etc) get all of a three minute advantage - hardly worth fighting for.  Ditto on disembarking - can't see the point in fighting to get off the plane first - your luggage still take the same amount of time to arrive on the conveyor belt.

Kathie

Yes agreed. I don't think the priority boarding works at all. However, the advantage is my husband doesn't have to stand in line to check in because he prints his own ticket by checking in on line. At the moment,  I am here in France overseeing some work and he is travelling back and forth, therefore, with his ticket in hand we don't have to arrive as early in order for him to stand in the ever increasingly long line at Bergerac to check in.

Beware!  In a hurry last night booking one of our lads out for Xmas forgot to check properly through all the boxes and have just discovered I've paid £14 for travel insurance I don't want. I was running out of time on one of  their cheap fares - think I defeated that object!

[quote user="WJT"]Yes agreed. I don't think the priority boarding works at all. However, the advantage is my husband doesn't have to stand in line to check in because he prints his own ticket by checking in on line. At the moment,  I am here in France overseeing some work and he is travelling back and forth, therefore, with his ticket in hand we don't have to arrive as early in order for him to stand in the ever increasingly long line at Bergerac to check in.[/quote]

I tried that but was told that i still had to go to the main desk and still get a boarding pass !!!!! and as for priority boarding, still had to fight with the rest of them rushing thru from the back following the ryanair staff in [8-)]

"Beware!  In a hurry last night booking one of our lads out for Xmas forgot to check properly through all the boxes and have just discovered I've paid £14 for travel insurance I don't want"

Yes I did the same, those little Irish tinkers!! I am normally a great fan and defender of Ryanair, but you get travel insurance by just telling them your country of residence, it is described as French Resident Insurance, so I looked for why it was bering imposed by the French, only to find that it was actually TRAVEL INSURANCE and you have to ignore the country of residence box to avoid paying it.  I agree it is very naughty of Ryanair that you have to look for obscure boxes to delete on- line booking and to avoid paying travel insurance.  There latest advert also needs a lot of looking at, it says fly for £10 all in, but when you click on it the link, it says that fares do not exclude taxes though these will be less han £13, however, on all the fares below £10, the taxes are changed to insure the total for the flight is really £10 all in, but that only applies one way, full taxes are applied on the return, but anyway even with travel insurance its still only costing £27 return.

[quote user="J.R."]

My Friend has just travelled (with Ryanair) back to Dublin from Paris Beuvais after staying here a week at a cost of 2 centimes or as he tells me "Cents! - centimes no longer exist!"

I guess thay have to get their money back one way or another.

[/quote]

Centime --- One part of a hundred. It's the French for cent and I for one like it, it ain't part of a dollar! I am with Ron. I think that Ryanair do give a good service. Sometimes they get it wrong, but who the hell doesn't, apart from me [kiss][8-|]!!

It's the Frank that does not exist any more, except on all the prices on the price tags in the shops, supermarkets and everywhere else you look (at 6.87something/€)....

[quote user="wife doesn't post so just call me hugh for now"][quote user="WJT"]Yes agreed. I don't think the priority boarding works at all. However, the advantage is my husband doesn't have to stand in line to check in because he prints his own ticket by checking in on line. At the moment,  I am here in France overseeing some work and he is travelling back and forth, therefore, with his ticket in hand we don't have to arrive as early in order for him to stand in the ever increasingly long line at Bergerac to check in.[/quote]

[quote]I tried that but was told that i still had to go to the main desk and still get a boarding pass !!!!! and as for priority boarding, still had to fight with the rest of them rushing thru from the back following the ryanair staff in [8-)]
[/quote]

That is strange. If they start doing that and start charging £4 extra, don't think they will have too many people checking in on line. [8-)]

[quote user="chatnoir"]I'm trying to book a flight to Carcassonne and back in January.  1p each way - brilliant.  [/quote]

Can I ask a silly question?  [:D]

This "1p each way" that people often mention.   How do you manage to pay just 1p?    You do mean "1p plus taxes", don't you?  

Montpellier-Stansted right now is 1 centime, but there's no way that that's the final price.   Or do Ryanair sometimes really let you fly for just 1 centime?

Now I booked from Frankfurt Hahn (actually nowhere near Frankfurt) to Stansted and they wanted 3 euros for priority boarding not 4 pounds.  It would seem to make a difference where you book from !!!?!

The 3 euros is worth it for me as 1) I never have any bags 2) the queue through security at Hahn is always horrendous and you bypass 99% of it and 3)I'm a big lad and I can get a seat over the wings for extra legroom - I expect they'll charge for that soon too.

You are not daft, you have to click out of the travel insurance about three times, it is all done in a very sneaky way,it took me a little while to grasp how I could get out of it.I will add, I was very impressed in the summer, my sons grandfather died and he had to miss his flight to France , we sent a copy of the death certificate to their head office in Dublin and we got a full refund for my son so they have some heart, incidently we were advised to do that by their call centre.