Strong gale forecast.

Russethouse

MESSAGE UPDATED  08.30 hours on Thursday, 18th JANUARY, 2007

Current sea conditions in the Channel are very rough, with west-sou-westerly winds,  storm Force 10, and the visibility is moderate to good.

Owing to severe adverse weather conditions all cross channel services with P&O Ferries & SeaFrance to Calais, Norfolkline to Dunkerque and Speedferries to Boulogne have been suspended until further notice.

Baz

Free Tarpaulin to anyone who can find it.

The cover from my woodpile has just taken off and is heading in a North-easterly direction. Despite being tied down and having heavy logs on top of it. It was last seen flying over the valley and local aircraft have been warned..........................................[:)]

I kid you not................................well except the aircraft bit...........[:)]

From near the Cardigan Bay and the Dovey / upper Severn valley catchment in Mid-Wales : it is trees down, bins scattered all over the place, fields bordering brooks and rivers resembling lakes and good aqua-skidding conditions on the road if there ever was such a sport for the Olympics!  The roof on this office building (a converted industrial unit) is just about holding it together......

Twas 'fun' coming to work, will be more 'fun' going home...... [:(]

It is terrible here in the UK at the moment, things are smashing in the distance, bins and other objects are flying through the streets. We are meant to be going back to France tomorrow afternoon, I do hope things settle by then. On our last crossing back, it was very rough, my husband and my dog that was left in the car both got sick. Will not be looking forward to it [:(]

Lizfjr, that really is terrible [:'(]! I hope you get it sorted soon, it sounds much worse where you are than what we are having here.

Christine, we booked the crossing last week, if it is anything like today we may have to delay. Fingers crossed it will end soon, it is certainly causing a lot of damage. Just returned from taking the dog for a walk and it was a bit frightening. Among many things fence panels from peoples gardens were flying about along with many fallen trees and branches. Just hope I don't see Gary's tarpaulin around here anytime soon!

[quote user="Lizfjr"]Well here in the NW of England, I've lost

Garage roof

Shed (complete)

Hedge (both sides)

Roof slates on house.

Guttering

Can I get through to the insurance company??[/quote]

Sounds appalling.  Is the worst over by now - not that it isn't bad enough already?

When I went out this morning our neighbours had a largish tree :

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/IMG_0023.jpg[/IMG]

When I came back a couple of hours later.........they still have a large tree, but in a different position.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/IMG_0033-1.jpg[/IMG]

Lots of debris on the roads and one poor guy was killed by a falling tree, near here (Streatley)

Eucalyptus?  Vulnerable in wet soil in high winds - all those leaves, tall tree, made in Australia ....

[quote user="Russethouse"]

When I went out this morning our neighbours had a largish tree :

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/IMG_0023.jpg[/img]

When I came back a couple of hours later.........they still have a large tree, but in a different position.

[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/IMG_0033-1.jpg[/img]

Lots of debris on the roads and one poor guy was killed by a falling tree, near here (Streatley)

[/quote]

At last - I had to fiddle - I hate to say this because it was a nice tree IMHO but my husband is quite pleased, a better view with the telescope ! Sadly the tree roots have broken the utilty area fence and 'moved' the plastic greenhouse.......there are some advantages to plastic after all !

Thank goodness I wasn't at sea...........as it was on the M4 it felt as if I was driving into the wind to keep straight.

Anyone traveling - please be careful.