Calais immigrants stop/rob Brits

Back in May I made sure that I locked all the doors in my camper before entering Calais on the way to the ferry port. I had a stick ready to beat off the dozens of illegals that I imagined would be clinging limpet-like to the sides of the vehicle and I contemplated putting a mirror on a stick to check underneath for stowaways once I got to the port.  It must have the off-season  though for I never saw signs of illegal people or their camps, it can't all be newspaper talk can it?

[quote user="Weedon"]Back in May I made sure that I locked all the doors in my camper before entering Calais on the way to the ferry port. I had a stick ready to beat off the dozens of illegals that I imagined would be clinging limpet-like to the sides of the vehicle and I contemplated putting a mirror on a stick to check underneath for stowaways once I got to the port.  It must have the off-season  though for I never saw signs of illegal people or their camps, it can't all be newspaper talk can it?[/quote]

Perhaps it was between 12.00 and 3.00 when you entered Calais, in which case they would have been at lunch.

[quote user="krusty"]

[quote user="chrisb"]

But unfortunately they have all seen and believed the rubbish published by the rightist UK press about the imaginary free handouts they will get if they get across the Channel. Ironic really.

[/quote]

The handouts are not imaginary , just this week a new program has started "How the other half live" . A single mum from Zimbabwe living in a London flat with 3 kids gets £240 a week and some rich English family is giving her cheques to pay off her debts.

You can guess what the letters  to Zimbabwe will be telling the rest of the folks back home to do "get over here its really great"

[/quote]

It may well be that this single mum "from Zimbabwe" is legally resident in the U.K. and entitled to benefits. That's how the welfare state works - according to need.

It does NOT mean that all the free houses, cars, mobile phones and the rest that populate the wild fantasies of the press and the more unpleasant political parties are any more real.

The real problem is that successive governments have created an immense number of unemployable and under employed people.

I for one have no problem with any number of immigrants; they are generally hard working, honest and respectable. Without them the economy would be much poorer. The real issue is to wean the indigenous population off the nanny state. This will take at least as many years as it took to train people to think that the only worthwhile job involves sitting in front of a computer.

I travel frequently through Calais, and am pleased to see the rising prosperity of visitor workers.

The greatest irony for the knuckle draggers must be that while they are perusing their imperialist wet dreams the BBC is reporting that hundreds of Afghan’s are camped around Calais waiting to get across.

[quote user="chrisb"]

That's how the welfare state works - according to need.

[/quote]

I am well aware how the welfare state works , but it is programs like this that spread the word that once you are in the system you are set for life , the handouts never stop.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="odile"]but they might be absolutely desperate?

[/quote]

and the relevance of their desperation is what exactly?

[/quote]

Desperate people do desperate things.

It is perfectely natural .

Angelite

The answer is very simple - you stop paying benefits of any kind.

As I said in my previous post reversing this culture will take at least as long as it took to set up. As Mao said even the longest journey starts with a single step.

Creating and supporting an under class helps nobody, especially the people that are sucked into the system.

Well said, Braco - it takes a brave man to say that.

I think the first step might be to start taxing benefits at the PAYE level. I know from an ex-neighbour that she gets untaxed money from so many different sources, together with no rent, no council tax, free optician and dentist, motability and an allowance for a cleaner! that she can afford a car, foreign holidays, laptop and save under the mattress at least 2k per year.

Mind you, she claims benefit on the basis she can hardly walk to get out of the door.

And some poor devils are working all hours to keep their heads above water. It just ain't fair.

[quote user="Angelite"]Well said, Braco - it takes a brave man to say that.

I think the first step might be to start taxing benefits at the PAYE level. I know from an ex-neighbour that she gets untaxed money from so many different sources, together with no rent, no council tax, free optician and dentist, motability and an allowance for a cleaner! that she can afford a car, foreign holidays, laptop and save under the mattress at least 2k per year.

Mind you, she claims benefit on the basis she can hardly walk to get out of the door.

And some poor devils are working all hours to keep their heads above water. It just ain't fair.[/quote]

http://campaigns.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/

If it upsets you why not do something about it ? - but be sure of your facts.

Brian

Why cant we announce we will pay the same benefit to immigrants that their country would pay us if we fetched up there and claimed ....After a period of paying in say over 5 years then they can claim..up to then nothing ..You come you need enough money to live on for 5 years and have to insure your health and of your family if jobless .... Any person who employs immigrants without being 100% sure that they are legal ...make it a prison sentance to employ them Start with the company secretary upwards in the likes of building firms who take them on ..that might deal with the working on the black by illegal immigrants ....

I think that might take the attraction out of wanting to come to the UK ..together with the willingness of people to cheaply employ them .

Brian, apart from exagerating her health problems, she is entirely legit. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. In fact, current neighbours have twice denounced her, she has been investigated and apart from maybe the Income Support being reduced slightly, she has been exonerated. If people know what they can claim for, and do so, they are better off than the workers.

This thread has really gone off topic - and I will continue off topic....

I believe it is admirable if a country help those who have problems. However, there really should also be help for those who help themselves.

I read an article this weekend about a family of 'travellers' who have been housed by a council in a very nice area in Totteridge London. There is a scheme to use private rented accommodation and the council negotiated with a private Landlord to rent the house at a £2400 per month rent instead of the normal £4000 (the landlord was having a problem getting a tenant). The house had been refurbished etc.

The Landlords asked for references but before any were supplied the council obtained the keys from the agents and the family was in.

The Landlord then got a report of flooding, a builder went in to the house and reported that a radiator had been pulled off the wall. The tenants will not allow anyone in to repair. In addition, new carpets have been thrown outside, their rubbish has been thrown over in to the next door garden, the Landlord has had to call out a rodding company 6 times in 6 months to stop sewage going everywhere and each time it is found that all manner of objects have been flushed down the loo.

It now turns out that the ''travellers' were evicted from thei last residence and left behind thousands of pounds of damage.

Neither of the parents work.

This is a total and absolute misuse of any welfare system and a wonderful advert for those trying to get in to the UK.

As for the normal type of comment by NormanH I would be grateful if he would provide details of all the generous benefits offered by the French authorities.

Paul

Back on topic. An aquaintance who lives locally but still maintains a haulage business in the UK was on his way down here via Calais. He was driving one of his large box vans. Hearing a noise he pulled over and was confronted by a number of Romanians who had got into the van by cutting a hole in the top. The beat him and forced him to return to Calais. They thought that he was headed for the UK. He says that truck drivers are advised not to enter Calais after 6 pm.