Wish me Luck as you wave me Goodbye ............

Gardian

If you're thinking about travelling around any Christmas, check what I'm doing and then avoid those dates.

Tomorrow (TGV / Eurostar) : Avignon - Lille - London.  Last year, French snow buggered up Eurostar, so had to drive.

Doesn't look good for tomorrow.  I can see a grotty 1* hotel in Lille 1.6093 kms off !!!

I feel a bit like the poor bloke at the North Pole - "I may be gone for some time".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The locals are concerned about our departure: well, not so much concerned as incredulous.

"Why would you want to go to Mars, when you could be here?" 

Had a call from No.2 son tonight - elec off in the town (Thames Valley). Another call 1hr later to say "It's back on again".

My reaction - "You should live down here, when 5hrs is normal & frequent".

So, that's it. Onwards & upwards in to the unknown of northern France. Au revoir.   

We have 19cms of the white stuff here in the Cotswolds, I feel like Im back in the alps but sadly as I now do not have snow tyres I dont thin I can risk driving so I need to walk the 3 milers to my horse to feed the poor thing!

As has been said above, I could be some time!

Having got stuck in the snow in Paris last week for 10 hours driving back to the Ribble Valley, the latest incident in the Babbles household with snow was to be woken at 3.30 this morning with a 4 wheel drive having taken down the stone gatepost and fence bounced off the corner of our house, good job the victorians new how to build stone houses at least no one was hurt. the consensus of opinion is that people think they're invincible in a 4 wheel drive so can drive without any care on snow. think I 'll stay indoors today

[quote user="Russethouse"] We've had two to three inches of snow, but its the ice underneath that is problematic[/quote]

That's right; about 2 inches over this side of town.I walked to the shops for the papers when the snow stopped, and although very beautiful, it was treacherous in places; I was glad I had my walking boots on. They're forecasting -4 tonight, so it's going to be dreadful in the morning. [:(]

Our son and partner were meant to be driving from Hastings today for the family Christmas get-together, but it's even worse where they live, up hills from main roads. I'm now actually hoping they won't try to set out early tomorrow morning; I think I'd prefer them not to risk the drive here for lunch and then set off back again - if conditions allow them to get here!

Hope Gardian makes it OK!

We live up in the hills of Mid-Wales and after 36 hours of snow "showers" we now have at least 10" overall, plus modest drifts in our lane. (Thank goodness the wind dropped early on is all I can say!) We're not going anywhere for a day or two at least. [:)]

We walked down to our local shops and then had lunch at our favorite restaurant, who had a full restaurant booked for lunch and evening and were down to 2 tables lunchtime and 3 this  evening.

My mother is immobile and relies totally on carers coming 4 times a day, the lunchtime carer put her back to bed because they were worried that the afternoon and evening carers wont get through, (as it was they had to abandon their cars and walk the last bit) she is surrounded by food and drink but will have to stay there until the weather/roads improve...

Nothing, she is what they call a 'private funder' I guess in extremis the care agencies have some sort of fall back but last year some people were without calls for two days.

I tried to get over there yesterday but met with blizzard conditions and after a skid across the main A4 turned back, in fact the carers did get through OK yesterday but longer, heavier snow showers defeated the evening carers tonight. The one carer who today went above and beyond the call of duty, took 90 minutes to go three miles to get there, is a Bulgarian girl, she is the one that really actually 'cares',  thinks ahead and uses her common sense - my mother is very fond of her and so am I, she's a star!

Luckily on Thursday I had left  'long life' food within reach, along with liquid, water, cranberry juice, left instructions to leave flasks of tea and soup etc, really not much else we can do - given she isn't very interested in going into care. If this goes on she may have to, even as a temporary measure.

[quote user="KathyF"]

We live up in the hills of Mid-Wales and after 36 hours of snow "showers" we now have at least 10" overall, plus modest drifts in our lane. (Thank goodness the wind dropped early on is all I can say!) We're not going anywhere for a day or two at least. [:)]

[/quote]

KathyF,  I have just taken up a 12 month contract in Powys and have to get there for 8.30am Mon - what's the situation like in Wales atm and what is the local forecast for the next 48hrs?

Heading for Newtown, Powys from Staffs

Mrs R51

That's sad, Russethouse; we had such a good meal there in the week, pity they've had so many cancellations. Where we're having lunch tomorrow they're fully booked, but I'm sure the same will happen there. We should get there OK, although it's in the countryside, but even our table of 8 might be down to 6 if our son and his partner don't manage to get here.

Around us all the main roads are clear, and even our road, which isn't on a bus route is clear - but that's through a small rise in temperature plus quite a few cars passing by. When I walked to the shops late this morning only small side roads seemed bad. However if it freezes tonight, which seems very likely, it will be awful tomorrow on the roads and paths. I put salt out last night and today we cleared the drive and salted again, but only a couple more in our fairly long street did so, and I saw no others cleared on my walk of about 40 minutes. If all that snow freezes overnight it will be very difficult to walk anywhere locally.

Our local authority, Wokingham, is usually pretty good at getting roads sorted, and so is Reading; both have had problems in some of the last snowfalls in some roads, and especially on hills. However, our son who lives in Hastings says East Sussex are notoriously bad at snow clearing; he took 3 hours to get from Eastbourne to Hastings last night by car.

Where we are in France hasn't a good history of snow clearing, as in the past it's been so rarely seen; two years ago they didn't even seem to have enough shovels to tackle snow locally, and a snow plough had to be borrowed to clear some routes out of Nimes and along to the airport. And of course, Paris doesn't cope too well either.

There do seem to have been huge falls of snow this time in parts of UK; a neighbour was telling me about going to pick her mother up from near Newcastle earlier this week; she said it was terrible, with snow waist high. Her mother has now flown out to Florida for a month - she might want to extend her stay if the freezing weather continues as we hear it might!

We're off to northern France on Thursday for a few days; fingers will be crossed for that trip as soon as they uncross for our son's run here and back to east Sussex tomorrow!

Being due into Aberdeen from offshore on the 22nd I think I'm going to need all the luck I can get, others are already running three day behind !

With my all my options from Aberdeen, Amsterdam (usual routing), Paris, Heathrow and Gatwick, currently in utter chaos I might make it home in time for New Year.

Ces'e la vie [:(]

In addition private funders pay more as local authorities get a discounted rate from the care agencies - frankly you are stuffed if you have your own home or funds above £24,000.

A few weeks ago the light bulb in my mothers reading light went, and the carers wouldn't change it, health and safety [8-)]... luckily a kind neighbour did the job.... my sister and I visit up to 4 times a week between us, but I shudder to think what happens to those who have no relatives living near -