Car ferry: French legislation

On a ferry booking, Brittany Ferries has asked ‘to comply with French legislation, we need to record your vehicle registration number before the day of departure’.

Out of our party we are not sure what car we will use (all the same size).

Anyone know this legislation and what this is about?

No, but the requirement is in their Terms & Conditions;

"At the time of booking the following information will be required where

applicable: vehicle registration number, passengers’ first names,

surnames and dates of birth."

I think the T&Cs are similar on all the ferries - which would back up a french Legislative requirement - but from expereince I can confirm that you can change it at the booking in desk.  Which I found out after a breakdown en route to Dunkerque and a replacement hire car being provided.

Most ferry operators have always asked for a vehicle registration number, Brittany Ferries has only done so within the last year or so. It is indeed to comply with current security/port control regulations, which I understand to be European rather than merely French legislation.

You can leave it blank when booking if you are not sure, and you can change it, usually without penalty on Brittany Ferries, up to the time of check-in, at least on the English side of the channel. If things are different when starting the journey in France, then it is most likely part of the particular port's security policy.

When OH went over recently in a hired van, he received a phone call from BF the day before departure asking him for the reg number. Explaining that he didn't yet know which van he would be allocated, they just said that they would input the reg number on arrival at check in.

Pouyade

[quote user="PaulT"]

And via the Tunnel there is no requirement for vehicle registration nor passenger details.

Paul

[/quote]

Not true Paul as they do require vehicle registration for the on line booking form,  so when you pull up at the booking in desk they can say good morning/afternoon Mr/Mrs whatever. Having said that we used the Ferry recently and at Dover they now have the same, I wonder if they check it with the number plate recognition system?

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="PaulT"]

And via the Tunnel there is no requirement for vehicle registration nor passenger details.

Paul

[/quote]

Not true Paul as they do require vehicle registration for the on line booking form,  so when you pull up at the booking in desk they can say good morning/afternoon Mr/Mrs whatever. Having said that we used the Ferry recently and at Dover they now have the same, I wonder if they check it with the number plate recognition system?

[/quote]Yes, they do.  At the tunnel, you no longer have to key in any references, nor use the card you booked with at the automatic barriers.  The system knows who you are from your car reg and all you do is confirm who you are.  Big Brother is watching you.

It must be a new system they've only just introduced because their website still describes the old check-in procedure using your credit card.

Question is, will it avoid the situation where I'm stuck behind one of those funny cars that drive on the other side of the road and the occupants are struggling to figure out what the machine is asking them to do?  [:P]

Quote "Sunday Driver"

'Question is, will it avoid the situation where I'm stuck behind one of those funny cars that drive on the other side of the road and the occupants are struggling to figure out what the machine is asking them to do?'

Presumably, you are talking about the deux chevaux ou voiturette?

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

It must be a new system they've only just introduced because their website still describes the old check-in procedure using your credit card.

[/quote]Yes, the last couple of times I've crossed it's been like this.  I suppose if there's a problem (a change of car might be one such) then you might still need your card but I haven't so far this year.  It just asks you if you've got LPG/Pets etc and off you go.  Very efficient.  But you still have to thump the machines to get them to respond!