Duck pate confiscated at Bergerac departures

Winegum

Friends recently returning to the UK with two small tins of duck pate in their hand luggage had it confiscated. It wasn't a weight issue. They didn't argue as they didn't speak a lot of French. Has anyone else had this happen?

If it happened to me I think I might just write a very polite letter to the Airport manager giving the departure flight details . I might lay on how sad I was at not being able to enjoy such a wonderful French food and request he explain why the security staff took it .

No mystery or conspiracy.

The permitted quantities of liquids, pastes or gels is up to 1lt comprised of individual items of no more than 100mls/100gm so if their tins or jars of pate were bigger/heavier than that the outcome was inevitable [:(]

There used to be (perhaps still is) a sign at security at Montpellier Airport telling you to check in foie gras and other patés. Note thet you would only come across this AFTER having already checked in your bags ...

There used to be a stall selling Foie Gras and other patés in the airport, just in time for you to be relieved of them. I often wonder what is on the menu at the security staff Christmas parties ...

Regards

Pickles 

[quote user="Pickles"]There used to be (perhaps still is) a sign at security at Montpellier Airport telling you to check in foie gras and other patés. [/quote]

There was also a sign at Bergerac - unless it's been taken down?  Doesn't help if you've already bought the stuff though.

Once, when we were on holiday (5 years ago) and arriving at Bordeaux airport when a lady stopped us and asked if we wanted her wine... she had bought 6 bottles but wasn't allowed to take it back on the plane... so we said thank you very much... and very nice wine it was too [:D]

[quote user="AnOther"]No mystery or conspiracy.

The permitted quantities of liquids, pastes or gels is up to 1lt comprised of individual items of no more than 100mls/100gm so if their tins or jars of pate were bigger/heavier than that the outcome was inevitable [:(]

[/quote]

It's a mystery to me that people are still in complete ignorance of the current rules (set aside whether they make sense or not, they're the rules).

My neighbour took a Ryanair flight from Nimes to Charleroi last week. "Never again", he said on his return.  "They took my after-shave and balm (or something like that) off me at the security check and then were selling it to everybody else on the plane".  "Vous - les anglais!!"

Now ........... he hasn't flown for 15 yrs and (bless him) isn't terribly well informed over these things. I should have told him, so I blame myself.

These folk should have known.  

Thanks for all replies everyone. I travel back and forth on Ryanair about twice a year and am well aware of the rules with regard to hand-luggage. I just never figured duck pate to be a gel, a liquid, or a paste. It is after all in a sealed tin with a manufacturer's label. And besides, in order to blow up the aeroplane with my exploding pate I would surely need a tin-opener, which I don't carry because of the rules regarding 'sharp instruments'! The customs man at Stansted checked the contents of my bag one time and chuckled at my two large pork pies. No probs bringing those over here! And who knows what I could have lurking under that pastry. Oh well, you live and learn, and my friends won't be taking pate through again.

Gardian - my friends were also elderly and on their first visit to to France. I think, like me, they could be forgiven for not considering a tin of pate to be one of the banned items.

We had our Autan removed from our suitcases before they were checked into the hold on a flight from Greece once.  So did every one else, I think i was part of a plan to exterminate mozzies for good.  I also had two small adjustable spanners confiscated in Liverpool at the beginning of the year, why?  Did they think I might dismantle the plain in mid air as an act of terrorism?