Bergerac Airport closure early 2012?

I've heard that the airport may be closed due to some works to the runway. According to a local forum, a car hire company is saying they've been officially told that Bergerac is closed from late January through to March but no precise dates.

There's nothing on Bergerac Airport's official website, and Ryanair/Flybe, etc., continue to show availability for flights on that date.

Does anybody have any further information? And if I booked a flight with Ryanair, etc., and the works did start, does anybody know what Ryanair would do, e.g. just refund you, arrange something else,?

[quote user="nectarine"]... does anybody know what Ryanair would do, e.g. just refund you, arrange something else,?[/quote]

Not sure about Ryanair but last October when some controllers went on strike at Bergerac the flights in didn't seem to be cancelled but were redirected via Bordeaux and other airports the clients being then bussed to Bergerac. Don't know what happened to flights out.

How about emailing the airport authorities?

Sue

[quote user="nectarine"]I've heard that the airport may be closed due to some works to the runway. According to a local forum, a car hire company is saying they've been officially told that Bergerac is closed from late January through to March but no precise dates.

There's nothing on Bergerac Airport's official website, and Ryanair/Flybe, etc., continue to show availability for flights on that date.

Does anybody have any further information? And if I booked a flight with Ryanair, etc., and the works did start, does anybody know what Ryanair would do, e.g. just refund you, arrange something else,?[/quote]

In such circumstances Ryanair usually offers an alternative flight with the option of a complete refund if that is not suitable.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Loiseau"]I'm sure the airlines would deliver you somewhere else -  not quite as convenient maybe.

When La Rochelle was closed for works a few years back, Ryanair flights from London went to Rochefort.

Angela
[/quote]

We were on the first flight into Rochefort at that time... all of the staff came out onto the apron to watch us land!! [:D]

It was more convenient for us too, quieter roads, but the flights ended pretty quickly after only about 2 or 3 months, during which time the carpark was extended and given a coat of tarmac and the portacabin buildings were extended (wow!) [:)].