Ferry travel

Pads

If I book my ferry crossing for just me my car and dog and later I decide to take a second person... how do they get on do I have to change my booking or do they just book as a foot passenger ? Is sthere normally a charge to change bookings if that is the answer ?

Many Thanks

[quote user="Pads"]If I book my ferry crossing for just me my car and dog and later I decide to take a second person... how do they get on do I have to change my booking or do they just book as a foot passenger ? Is sthere normally a charge to change bookings if that is the answer ?

Many Thanks[/quote]

It depends on whoever you booked the crossing through. Given enough notice, some ferry companies will make the change with just a nominal charge if you booked direct, others will charge an admin fee. Booking agents will almost certainly charge an admin fee. It may prove more economical and much less hassle for the extra passenger to book separately and board as a foot passenger (you can usually disembark with the extra passenger on your vehicle because boarding controls do not apply).

It depends who you are travelling with P & O - Dover Calais did not charge when I picked up a couple of French hitchhikers at Canterbury and carried on to Limoges about ten years ago. I think the Western crossing where you have to pay for seats or cabin may be more of a problem.

Likewise P&O, Seafrance and Transmanche, just turned up with the extra passenger and been waived through after taking a note of the name and passport without charge. Probably depends who's on duty and how they feel. They all say its an extra £10 but never been charged. Never happens with the Tunnel. [6]

Brittany ferries ...I hope, just got a quote from them... ..Mmm I thinking now ...why is he asking ..ok it may not be Calais ... but its some where on the other side ...near the top left hand corner ...with out checking the Brittany site again... now Im not sure ... ..now was it roscoff ?? Mmmm any how Im sure Im going from Plymouth !! LOL !!

Sorry just woken from working nights not feeling very bright !!

Careful about the 'foot passenger' option...

Recently, to add an extra passenger to a previously booked crossing with LD Lines (Newhaven to Dieppe) would have cost the extra fare (just £15 return) + a £10 admin fee - making £25 in total.

For him to have travelled as a foot passenger would have been £92 return.

And I will take this opportunity of saying how very helpful and very fair the LD Lines staff are whenever I have any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
[quote user="Etoile"]Has anyone heard about a possible Dover/Folkestone - La Rochelle car only overnight Seacat? [/quote]

The stuff of fantasy I'm afraid. First thing - no cabin accommodation (not permitted under high speed craft rules, except for crew). Second - it would need at least one refuelling stop, or fitting of long-range fuel tanks which would reduce capacity (and the fuel cost would most likely be astronomical). Third - anybody contemplating taking such a ship loaded with delciate passengers anywhere near the Bay of Biscay except in the height of summer is a prime candidate for certification.

Hi all

Up until recently you could make any kind of alteration to your ferry booking with Brittany Ferries if you had booked on line, but now if you make any change within 5 days of travelling you are charged £25 amendment fee (on top of any extra charge).

Persons travelling as footpassengers have always been chargeds a much higher price fare than adding a passenger to origin al booking.

WendyG

[quote user="WendyG"]

Persons travelling as footpassengers have always been chargeds a much higher price fare than adding a passenger to origin al booking.

[/quote]

Not necessarily; it's something we have done several times, and recently it has been much more cost-effective to just book a separate foot passenger fare. In the past, especially if making the alteration by phone or in person at the port, it was cheap (or no charge at all) to add an additional passenger.

If the number of passengers is known at the time of booking then it is more economical to have a different number of passengers each way (the booking system allows that - previously it was difficult) than make a separate foot passenger booking.

The tunnel system is totally different; they aren't interested in the number of passengers so you can have as many or as few as you like on each leg of the trip. We did a trip recently with one person going out, two people and five animals (plus five more non-bookable animals) on the return, and that was no problem at all.

[quote user="Will"]The tunnel system is totally different; they aren't interested in the number of passengers so you can have as many or as few as you like on each leg of the trip. We did a trip recently with one person going out, two people and five animals (plus five more non-bookable animals) on the return, and that was no problem at all.
[/quote]

There is a big difference between the tunnel and the ferry - on, or is that in, the Tunnel you stay in or with your vehicle. On the ferry you have to get out of the vehicle and the ferries must have maximum numbers of people that they can carry

I would have thought that for both there are benefits for greater numbers of people travelling - they will possibly buy food or visit the so called duty free shops. With the Tunnel this is just at one ned and with the ferries actually on the ferries.

Paul

I had to do this very thing this week.

On the return leg (Caen to Portsmouth, with BF) I took an extra passenger, who was prevented by French rail strikes from getting himself to Lille for Eurostar.

I checked the BF website for the cost for a simple foot passenger, and was quoted 54 euros one way, for the following day's travel.

I could not find how to amend my existing booking on-line, so phoned BF in the UK, where I got my extra passenger added to my existing ticket for £25.

(Apparently I had not been able to do it online, because I had already accomplished the outward half of my journey.)

Angela

I recently went to change my return B F booking on line  I was giving  myself more than 5 days and expected to be able to make the change  Wrong !  The web site would not accept my booking reference  so was forced to phone BF... I was informed that as I had already travelled on the outward journey I could not make the change on line myself... It was then done for me ... after I had given my debit card details and £25.

Ah, but I have a feeling that if you are to benefit from the reductions for BF's Property Owners' Club, you have to book a return journey rather than a single.

But it was no bother to amend the booking - just meant a phone call to the UK rather than doing it online. (I probably could have done it through a French number, only I didn't see one on the website).

Angela

• 11 months later...