Compulsory items whilst driving in France?

Hi.. I was just reading about and wondering what the latest requirements are for driving in France.. Am I on the right lines:

Vest (1 per car, or 1 each?)

Bulbs

Triangle

Fire extinguisher?

First Aid kit?

Breathalyser kit?

Also, is a spare wheel compulsory for a remorque?

Cheers for any current infos..

[quote user="joidevie"]Hi.. I was just reading about and wondering what the latest requirements are for driving in France.. Am I on the right lines:

Vest (1 per car, or 1 each?) - Driver only, available to don before exiting vehicle.

Bulbs - No

Triangle - Yes

Fire extinguisher? - No

First Aid kit? - No

Breathalyser kit? - From July 1st but no enforcement for 4 months then €11 fine.

Also, is a spare wheel compulsory for a remorque? - No, and not for a car either.

Sat Nav with camera database now illegal to use.

[/quote]

Hi,

This thread caught my eye and was interested in the "Breathalyzer Kit"

Not heard of this and wondered what they are, what type would you need, and where do you get them.

Looked at some U.S. web sites about them but they are very expensive £30-£70. Sounds like a lot of money to me to shove in your car glovebox ??

Any info appreciated.

Thanks Mel.

[quote user="mellybelly"]Hi,

This thread caught my eye and was interested in the "Breathalyzer Kit"

Not heard of this and wondered what they are, what type would you need, and where do you get them.

Looked at some U.S. web sites about them but they are very expensive £30-£70. Sounds like a lot of money to me to shove in your car glovebox ??

Any info appreciated.

Thanks Mel.[/quote]

We've been discussing this for some time:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2645310/ShowPost.aspx

Have a look at the last couple of pages: the law comes into force on 1st July this year.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="gardengirl "]I thought the vests were one per passenger; every local car seems to have 2 over the seats, and we also have 2 - 1 each.

[/quote]Definitely driver only, any more is up to you.

[/quote]

I think that it is only Spain where one per occupant is supposedly required.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="joidevie"]Hi.. I was just reading about and wondering what the latest requirements are for driving in France.. Am I on the right lines:

Vest (1 per car, or 1 each?) - Driver only, available to don before exiting vehicle.

Bulbs - No YES (source)

Triangle - Yes

Fire extinguisher? - No

First Aid kit? - No

Breathalyser kit? - From July 1st but no enforcement for 4 months then €11 fine.

Also, is a spare wheel compulsory for a remorque? - No, and not for a car either. Correct but see source if your tyres are not up to spec.

Sat Nav with camera database now illegal to use.

[/quote][/quote]

For some reason I had always thought that 'bulbs' were required. Pity some car manufacturers makes it nigh on impossible for anyone to change these on the road side any more...... now that should be illegal.

Somebody better tell the AA then. they don't often get it wrong but that said I note they don't mention spare bulbs at all for anywhere !

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/compulsory_equipment.pdf

Here's another site who's sole raison d'etre seems to be to advise on the essentials and - then sell them to you - and which does correctly refer to the new breathalyser requirements but omits the HiViz vest relegating it to recommended.

http://www.euroadlegal.co.uk/country/france.html

Little wonder that people are confused [blink]

"Il est recommandé d'avoir une roue de secours et le matériel permettant

de la changer dans son coffre, mais rouler avec des pneumatiques

défectueux ou en mauvais état est interdit."

So, I can have a 'slightly suspect' condition spare wheel/tyre as a spare, but will only be braking the law if I fit it and drive with it on?

Same with the breathalyser, you're braking the law if you use it before driving - so carry a spare or a reusable one..

I read somewhere that the sat nav camera issue is hard to enforce unless you 'give the traffic cop permission' to inspect it, which they 'do not have the right to do'.. So if asked, tell them 'no'.. But of course, that is bound to get their back up, and they will inevitably 'find' some other defect if they're in the mood or you have peeved them..

To be fair, I've only ever been pulled over once over 20 years ago when my passenger wasn't wearing his seat belt (which I didn't notice), and was politely clarified on French road law and allowed to continue..