Out of season travel

Adrian

We're in the process of buying a property in the Dordogne and we've noticed there are very few flights into Bergerac in the autumn/winter months - is Southampton the only airport flying into Bergerac at this time of year? Airports don't seem to like publishing timetables, so would appreciate knowing your experiences. I guess it's the ferries otherwise. (We'd be traveling from south west England)

[quote user="Adrian"] .............. is Southampton the only airport flying into Bergerac at this time of year? Airports don't seem to like publishing timetables, so would appreciate knowing your experiences. [/quote]

Forgive me for being direct, but it took me 60 secs to establish that there are 10 UK departure points ex UK to Bergerac, incl Exeter & Bristol.  Just google Bergerac Airport - they do show timetables and its not hard !!

This is Summer months of course and as has been pointed out, things will change in the Winter and who knows what will happen for the new season.

It can be very frustrating. Last year Ryanair scheduled summer flights from Rodez to Stansted stopped at the end of October. Nothing advertised for the whole winter. Then suddenly at the end of November one flight a week for the rest of the winter. A gold mine for Mr O'Leary in Christmas week and no chance for those of us not quick enough to arrange seeing our families.

Do not ever buy a house relying solely on flight operations to get you there.

Assume the worst....ie zero flights, and see if you can cope with travel by car or train. That way, you are guaranteed to get to your property when you want to and if it turns out that flights ARE available, then count them as a useful bonus and nothing more...a bonus that might be taken away again at any time.

The absence of winter flights to many of the rural French provincial airports reflects the reality that there is little demand in winter. Dare I say if the current weather pattern prevails for the next ten years as the Met experts predict there might be a lot less.

Dave though is totally correct, as Ryanair are at loggerheads with the French government at the moments and could easily scale back further their French operations if they lose their Marseille legal case and Flybe are in serious financial difficulty.

Citiyjet are for sale and Easyjet do not generally fly to the rural French airports as that is not their business model.

Woops!!      I meant last flight to Bordeaux from Bristol is November 2nd. via Easyjet.

Out of season travel is always difficult, Flybe from Southampton is about the only possible route unless someone can come up with an alternative.

We have ` Mason Secondaire ` near Riberac and Bergerac airport is fine March to October,by Ryanair, otherwise its the ferry!!