Ferry Cleaner Fuel cost price increase .

Frederick

We have known for some time about the ferries having to change to using a cleaner burning fuel and the cost will be passed on .With P&O it appears a family of four will find a Dover / Calais return go from £160 to £210 next year I can understand the need to reduce sulphur emissions to give us cleaner air......but

What I don't understand is if the EU wants to go down this road to keep us healthy....Why permit Germany who is cutting back on Nuclear power to extract huge amounts of dirtier to burn brown coal from new mines to burn in new power stations ?

£160 to £210 equals a 31.25% increase for cleaner fuels. Now you have the capital cost of a ship to pay for, maintenance, harbour charges, staff costs, both on and off the ship that is currently being paid for out of the £160 so presumably the actual fuel costs is only a small fraction of the current £160. So the additional £50 is it genuinely for the increased cost of the cleaner fuel or do the ferry companies think 'oh, this is handy'?

[quote user="PaulT"]

£160 to £210 equals a 31.25% increase for cleaner fuels. Now you have the capital cost of a ship to pay for, maintenance, harbour charges, staff costs, both on and off the ship that is currently being paid for out of the £160 so presumably the actual fuel costs is only a small fraction of the current £160. So the additional £50 is it genuinely for the increased cost of the cleaner fuel or do the ferry companies think 'oh, this is handy'?

[/quote]

Not of course forgetting that in the last 2 month oil has dropped in price by 40%. I think they owe you money!!

PaulT ..........

The Channel ferry companies are faced with literally tens of €m's to make the required conversions.

They are 'resident' and have no choice - comply, or else (unlike many other ships plying the Channel, no doubt).

This is all a piece of nonsense, insofar as worldwide compliance is sniggered at. Meanwhile, Channel users have to cough up an extra £50 or so.