Consumers in France

Just Katie

I purchased a television one month ago which for some reason now does not work. 

The large chain shop from where I purchased it sent their engineer out who removed my tv this morning.  I have been informed that this will not be returned until saturday.

However, I paid alot of money for this item and I dont particularly want a fixed tv back.  I want  a new one out of the box.  Can I demand this?

So, do you insist on opening the box and having the 'whatever' verified as functioning? On the other hand never accept a box that has been opened. I once bought a vacuum which had no extension tube. The store manager was less than helpful pointing out the details of what parts there were was 'selon model'. Noone bigger than a six year old could have used the vacuum in confort.Another time I looked inside an open box and the scales inside were not the model they were supposed to be. Suppose I had bought them. Do you think that Weldom would have said "sorry here is the correct one"?

[quote user="babcock"] On the other hand never accept a box that has been opened. [/quote]

Absolutely, unless you have personally verified that said opened box contains exactly what is written on the outside. I wanted a white coffee machine and the last box in the shop which said that it contained a white one actually contained a vibrant orange machine. Boy was I glad that I plucked up the courage to ask if the contents could be inspected as the box had been previously opened - and then refastened.

Sue

There are some companies that will lend you a replacement while the other one is being fixed. But this is up to the generosity of the firm concerned, not a legal obligation.

This once happened to me when the washing machine went wrong. It was a small private company.

If you go to the sheds then you pay their price and get their ''''service''''? If you go to the smaller local companies and pay, probably, a bit more then you will probably get the service that you have paid for. We have done this with one of our local shops, paid the small premium and got exceptional service when a couple of the things have gone pearshaped. These, I must add, have been the minority of the kit that we have bought from them!

Anyone who lives in the Carcassonne area and would like to know who I mean just PM me for the details and get a Ray of sunshine?!?!

You pays yer money and you gets yer choice!

You will get a guarantee usually 12 months. However, you must have the actual guarantee document or in the case of smaller items the till receipt. You must also have the original packaging. Our grenier is full of packaging. Ther is no automatic right to a replacement. If it can be fixed they will fix it.

[quote user="babcock"] Ther is no automatic right to a replacement. If it can be fixed they will fix it.[/quote]

It appears the law says differently, at least according to a brochure on consumer rights you will find via this link.

Enforcing those rights might be a different matter, faced with the usual Gallic Shrug at the SAV desk when you hand them the brochure.

[quote user="Just Katie"] I bought the TV from what I believed to be a reputable firm.  Their men "darted" over here on Saturday and my TV has gone for repair for 10 days.  [/quote]

If it is the firm I think it is you should be able to ask for a loan TV whilst yours is being repaired.

Sue

Yes you can insist on a new TV. More than that, DEMAND it, until people such as you and I stand up for our statutory legal rights, you will continue to receive bad customer service.

See this leaflet:

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_info/10principles_en.htm

It lists your case exactly, the rest of the legislation in all major European languages can be found here:

http://europa.eu/pol/cons/index_en.htm

If you don't get satisfaction, do what I do and have a sit in (only in extreme cases). Go into the shop 1 hour before it closes, and stay there, and keep repeating what you want. The company are part of the Kingfisher Group, send a letter direct to the CEO of Kingfisher if you don't get satisfaction.

[quote user="clarksinfrance"]Yes you can insist on a new TV. More than that, DEMAND it, until people such as you and I stand up for our statutory legal rights, you will continue to receive bad customer service.

See this leaflet:
It lists your case exactly, the rest of the legislation in all major European languages can be found here:

If you don't get satisfaction, do what I do and have a sit in (only in extreme cases). Go into the shop 1 hour before it closes, and stay there, and keep repeating what you want. The company are part of the Kingfisher Group, send a letter direct to the CEO of Kingfisher if you don't get satisfaction.
[/quote]

Leaflets quoting EC legislation are useless in France because it is French law which applies here.  The relevent French consumer legislation has already been provided in the links posted earlier.

[quote user="clarksinfrance"]Yes you can insist on a new TV. More than that, DEMAND it, until people such as you and I stand up for our statutory legal rights, you will continue to receive bad customer service.

See this leaflet:

[/quote]

Best to read the leaflet you posted. It says you have a right to have faulty goods repaired or replaced. The choice here is with the supplier

Katie,

I have just come back having 'darted' down to their store in Arras. My TV had a malfunctioning on/off switch last Tuesday. Called their help line and their technician came on Friday (Bank Holiday). He was a useless nerd who either a) didn't wish to work that day or b) didn't like the English. However he couldn't get the set working and he wouldn't speak slowly enough for me to understand his explanation so I was left in limbo. Searching through the leaflets,  I decided to translate the terms of the guarantee. And there in glorious black and white was the bit I wanted. If the set cannot be repaired by their technician you can DEMAND a loaned set and if the set cannot be repaired at all they will replace. All well and good I thought so I e-mailed the company who telphoned me today (English speaking nice guy) telling me that if I went to Arras (33 miles away) I could choose a new tv. So I did. Then the bombshell........ the set I have is no longer sold by said firm so I had to choose another AND pay an extra €50 into the bargain!![6]  Now thats not something I have ever come across before.  As a warning to others, check everything including availability. My set incidentally was only 10 months old and still had 14 months guarantee left to run. Good luck with your situation![:D]

tuppence

[quote user="Cjlaws"]

Best to read the leaflet you posted. It says you have a right to have faulty goods repaired or replaced. The choice here is with the supplier

[/quote]

The French DGCCRF leaflet "Les garanties, quels sont vos droits?" says

Vous pouvez mettre en action la guarantie legale de conformite dans les deux ans a compter de la deliverance de la produit.

Elle vous permet:

> de demander dans un premier temps la reparation ou le remplacement sans frais (au choix du consommateur, en fonction de ce qui est possible et raisonnable);

> de demander la resolution du contrat...

I translate that as it being the choice of the consumer, not the supplier.  Am I wrong?