French lessons

smiley

We have recently settled in north Deux-Sevres.  Although my husband  can just about get by, I am a complete beginner with the French language and am struggling to make headway using Michel Thomas and weekly French lessons in a small class.  Unfortunately I did not do French at school and I'm finding it quite a struggle.  Listening is particularly difficult.  Has anyone any good or bad experiences of immersion courses and what is the general opinion of their suitability for beginners?  While enjoying many aspects of French life, I am worried that I will not be able to fully integrate without being able to converse.

Smiley

I can recommend immersion courses but they are not for the weak willed. to be effective they have to be 100% immersion, that means accommodation at the study centre or with a host family, no breaks for weekends and absolutely no English spoken from the very first moment.

I would also say don't phone home to talk (unless in French!) as you will probably be too tired and emotional to make any sense anyway, it really is an extremely punishing but worthwhile regime, an awfull lot of people fall sick after the first couple of days with what would normally be a minor sore throat/cold/flu etc, I think it is the body or more precisely the brain asking for a rest.

Ultimately immersion courses bring rapid results that would otherwise take years of study but in my opinion there is no half measure.

My experience was of a Spanish immersion course and also of living here in an immersion environment (no British TV or people to speak to). The spanish tutors spoke no English whatsoever so there was no point in even trying to ask questions in English, we learnt the language as a baby or child does with infant teaching aids!

Smiley, stick with the Michel Thomas it is the best language 'self learning' course there is. I have tried and tested many, After Michel Thomas Foundation the Hugo course beginners will fill in the missing gaps and Helena Lewis 'vocabulary' (in keeping with the MT method)to a point, but of course it is only my personal opinion, others may disgree. Which Michel Thomas course are you using?

By the way...where in North Deux-Sevres are you?

I would wholly agree with MicAni.  The Michel Thomas will start you off and give you a confidence boost.  The Hugo method is excellent and goes right back to the fundamentals.  I believe there are three courses depending upon your ability and, you can get accompanying cds to improve your listening skills.  For me the listening and understanding part is the most difficult and also my pronounciation is pretty poor but then again I will need to live in France to improve this.

I will be moving to France shortly and, my intentions is to attend an intensive french course as described by JR

I agree, stick with MT I also go to lessons, but am fnding that I am being taught too many in depth phrases, I just want  everyday talk, maybe you know what I mean, I am like you a complete begginner, but after 4 months in our class we are being taught how to take a broken clock into be repaired, thats never going to happen, whats the point of learning this, when I can't ask where stuff is in the supermarket

Thanks everyone for your comments.

JR has given us a lot to think about.  We are no spring chickens (just retired) and you have brought home to us that our brains may just not take the pressure of an intensive course. We perhaps need to explore this a little more deeply. Our dilemma is that we need somehow to get our language learning into a higher gear than is possible at the moment with fairly unstructured weekly lessons. The neighbours that we have encountered are very pleasant and courteous (and that seems to go for all whom we come across), and that brings home at once our shortcomings with the language.

We are living in the Bressuire area - if anyone in our locality has come across a course that they have found worthwhile we should be most interested to hear.  

I'm glad others share my view of MT.  Although he is often decried by teachers I think the man was a genius!  I'm on Disc 5 of the 8 disc course.  My husband has the advanced course and language builder which he says is excellent.

Perhaps I'll check the life policies and persuade my husband to try an immersion course. He'll make a good guinea pig!

Smiley

I often wonder how the Michel Thomas courses would be for people who didn't study French at school.  I have used the MT courses very successfully but then I did O' Level French 35 years ago.  It seems to me, when I'm listening to his "students" that they do actually have some basic French, perhaps from their school days - they often have basic vocabulary like chaise, table etc.  What do other people think?

I am now studying the advanced course and am so pleased they got rid of that ghastly woman from the beginners' course who sounded like she was having an orgasm whenever she "got" something MT said - she completely put me off!

The only problem really is having to put up with the continual MT teeth sucking noises (my husband does a very good impersonation of MT!). I'm currently trying to get the hang of the subjunctive and conditional tenses and find his method a bit strange for this.

Pix

I never did french at school. I find his method quite good and in the last few weeks since I have started using him I have picked up quite a bit from him, But I do agree about his very annoying vocal habits, [:D] But I do like the way he puts a sentance together a few words at a time

Different subject does any one know if Hamlet (the play) is translated in to french? Hamlét maybe ??

Back to Smiley's original question, another way of learning French is by telephone or internet (Skype), with the lessons adjusted to your needs and level.  I haven't tried it myself because it's not really my cup of tea (I prefer to study on my own), but here is some information about it should you want to check it out.

http://www.learnfrenchathome.com/programregular.htm

Smiley I have some friends living near to Bressuire, I'm sure they have told me that they have found some-one who was giving private lessons on a 'small group' scale and very cheap too as I recall. I will be in touch with them some time next week so if you keep checking back here, hopefully I will be able to give you more details.

Regards

[quote user="Tourangelle"]
il est très gourmand (mais il a très faim)
[/quote]

Thanks Tourangelle [:)]

For help with lisning skills try this site :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/news/topic_focus/conservation.shtml

Dont expect to understand straight away but see how many words you can pick out, Keep listning over and over again, pick out odd words to look up , I have found this has helped me alot , the only answer is to keep doing it, sadley as I have found out there are no short cuts or miracle teachers , just lots of trying and hard work.........[;-)] 

• 2 weeks later...

smiley, just to let you know that my friend tells me that the lessons are only during the summer months (I don't know why this is) and are near Nueil les Aubiers (not sure if i spelled that correctly). She is not certain what date they are going to resume or if indeed they will resume but has promised to let me know.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but good luck!

Anita

I've not accessed our computer for a few days but was pleasantly surprised at the response my question has had.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.  I'm determined that one way or another I will crack this language thing and become fully integrated into the French way of life. 

MicAni, as I know people who live in Nueil Les Aubiers I will contact them to see if they have heard of any language lessons in their village.  I have also been told about a language learning school in Bressuire called GRETA - I understand that there are branches throughout Deux Sevres.  Having called in at the end of last week to request some information about the lessons, I was telephoned today by a very helpful lady teacher who has invited me along next week for a trial lesson.  Hopefully it will be just what I am looking for. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I wonder if hypnosis would work????  [;-)]      I am also struggling with the language, unfortunatly never did french in school, I am 55, forgetful!!!! so you see not a lot going for me and would really like to at least have a good basic knowledge before we move to France.

I am sorry for the delay in adding this, I have only just seen the post. You were advised that Hamlet is available in French but you will be absolutely delighted to know that the complete works of Scotland's national poet can be obtained in fifty one different languages, including French, from this link. to the Robert Burns website. [:D][:D]