Amie or copain

Nicos

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Copain = pal, mate, chum.  Also means boyfriend.

[/quote]

Sorry to dissapoint you SD but the man calling you his copain definitely does not class you as his boyfriend.

Petit ami = boyfriend

Petite amie = girlfriend.

As for the differences between ami and copain that differs amongst people, for me ami(e) is a friend, someone I know, make conversation with or may work with, copain(e) is a long time or closer friend.

Pote = mate, I am not sure if there should be a circonflex or if there is a version feminin "potée" perhaps?

From your ami cent percent mec!

" potée"    How lovely that sounds JR !! [:D]

But you made it up, .. [;-)]

Ok, my perception of things..

As a woman , if I say a person is " un copain" , he is a good mate,  " un ami " is a close friend, someone I can really rely on, you know, the kind of relationship you know will never let you down.

Now , I could say " Mon copain " , or " mon petit ami " ( a bit teenage years) .. then both would mean my boyfriend ..

There's a BIG difference between " un copain "   et " Mon copain" .. Are yu with me ?

[quote user="Frenchie"]

There's a BIG difference between " un copain "   et " Mon copain" .. Are yu with me ? [/quote]

Thanks Frenchie for that superb explanation - the difference has puzzled me for ages; despite the best efforts of our neighbours to enlighten me

Sue [:)]

totally agree with Frenchie. I have loads of copains et copines but fewer ami/amies, as they are much closer.

Touche pas a mon pote   is the slogan was one of the main antiracism org. in France. The word copain/copine is a pain though, as if you introduce somebody as 'voici mon copain Pierre'. it's ambiguous. English is much better in this instance.

Polremy - currently reading 'The story of French' by Jean-Benoit Nadeau and Julie Barlow/  Portico  ISBN 978-1-905798-19-3

Chapter 3, the birth of Purism, explains how malherbe in th early 1600 got rid of regionalisms, archaisms, synonyms and duplicates- and foreign words, which virtually disappeared. This never happened to such an extent in the UK - and I agree with you that it makes English a very rich language.

"Gars, yes, guy, bloke, lad..

Mec is roughly the same, but to me " gars" is originally a word used in the countryside , whereas mec is slang..

so if 'gars' is used in the countryside, how does one refer to a male that one knows 'à peine' in polite society?

Gosh..this is all very interesting!!!! ( much more fun than school French eh???)[:)]

I too thought a copaine was a closer friend then an amie - so I've misunderstood for years ( just think of all those missed opportunities!!![:-))])

Being female can I be called anything in slang .????.obviously not a gars or mec....( no rude comments please folks!!!!!!)[:P]

Hi Nicos, to some people you can be  une amie ( hope you do !!) = you are very close, they know they can rely on you etc

Or une copine, the person knows you, appreciates you, you re good mates.

If a man says " voici ma copine " then you have a boyfriend.  If he then says " ma compagne" it is serious, you live together.( But not married)  if you marry him  he would then say " ma femme, "  or " mon épouse "  or " ma moitié " ( rare)

If someone says " voici ma collègue" , then , you work with this person.

In slang, you can be called " une nana" , une " meuf " ( reverse for femme) , une gonzesse , ...