g and j

Patf

We have english neighbours called Gibbs and the other day our french neighbour asked me "Ou sont les jeebs?" For once I was really stumped, until she mentioned the woman's first name. Then I realised in France an "i" softens a "g".

Also when spelling it's different: j is pronounced g etc. How do you spell g then in french? Got a wrong registration no° on the car from this mistake.

And are there any rules about pronunciation and spelling of the 2 letters?

Hi,

The letter 'g' is softened when it is followed by 'i' or 'e' and hard when followed by 'a'. 'o' and 'u'. The letter 'j' is different as most of the time is pronounced as 'z'. As there are so few words in the French language beginning with 'j', it does sometimes change as in jargon when it is pronounced the same as the English 'j'.

tuppence

Our Christian names start with G and J, and French friends found them both very difficult. I always use my shortened name for ease, although those friends I've known forever still use the full version, with huge differences. Since starting to tell French people that my OH's name is the same as Graham Green's, it's been much more recognisable! [:D]

Thanks for that link. [:)]

[quote user="tuppence"]The letter 'j' is different as most of the time is pronounced as 'z'. As there are so few words in the French language beginning with 'j'...[/quote]

Eh?  Jean, Jacques, je, jouer, jamais, joli, juste, jour...  Offhand I can't think of a word in which it's pronounced as 'z'.

I think the OP was also asking about pronouncing the names of the letters, which is a different question, and very confusing.  I try to remember 'g' as in général and 'j' as in jihad.

I've noticed that in French phone text messages 'g' is often used as shorthand for j'ai - that might be another way of remembering it.

Having one of the aforesaid letters in my name (!), I too have spent many happy hours saying the wrong thing.  In the end I have decided that the only way to remember it is to remind myself that j is "gee", and g is "jay", ie the opposite way round from the way we say it.  I still get it wrong though!

• 3 weeks later...