Clair, are you paying attention? Useful expressions!

mint

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="andrew44"]Who has come across 'c'est un cas social' ? Someone that the authorities should deal with.

A suitable case for treatment ?

@+

Andrew 44

[/quote]

I would say it is stronger...it is usually used about addicts, alcoholics and people who are in a real mess.

I've just read this thread for the first time - don't know why I didn't read it before! Very useful, though I'm sure I won't remember it all.

I have a question about the french use of Spectacle as a noun. In english it seems to imply something very exciting and brightly coloured, but I think it might be more toned down in french?

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="andrew44"]Who has come across 'c'est un cas social' ? Someone that the authorities should deal with.

@+

Andrew 44

[/quote]

I would say it is stronger...it is usually used about addicts, alcoholics and people who are in a real mess.

[/quote]

Abbreviated round our way to just "c'est un cas". Evidently, no further need for explanation.[:D]

I've just come across "très preppy"; this to refer to a cardigan type garment with V-neck and buttons down the front.  That was certainly a first as I don't think I have heard any Americanisms in day-to-day life (I mean, no politics and not business).

I HAVE heard "so British" now and again.  The last time I remember hearing it was when I was watching "échappés belles" when that attractive girl with the gamine hair-cut was showing some houses with bay-windows.

Do you think bay windows are "so British"?  I haven't really thought of bay windows as so anything......well, maybe rather semi-detached and a bit surburban.  I don't mean that to be derogatory as I think well-designed bay-windows can be rather attractive; especially when they are repeated at first and subsequent floors.

Thanks Norman - the question related to a "spectacle" for local catholic schools. An english neighbour went with her daughter in completely inappropriate clothing, and was embarrassed, probably because she didn't understand the social context.

As for un cas social, here they say "special" a lot, though perhaps that's milder.

[quote user="sweet 17"]I've just come across "très preppy"; this to refer to a cardigan type garment with V-neck and buttons down the front.  That was certainly a first as I don't think I have heard any Americanisms in day-to-day life (I mean, no politics and not business).

[/quote]

LOL! That just reminded me of an incident several years back when one of our neighbours had converted a building in their garden to make a sort of summer shelter, with one side of the building open to the outside whilst the other 3 sides and the roof provided shade and shelter. A lovely old stone building, and the result was very attractive.

Apparently, one of their friends came round and said to them " Ah, vous avez un pool-house" and they had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. I think the friend had been watching too much US TV or something, as he'd failed to understand that a pool-house usually goes with a pool.....

Nice story, Betty, made me laugh.

Mind you, I tried "un after work" at a local bar and the person told me she'd never heard of that phrase before.

And there was me thinking I'd try to pass myself off as metropolitan![:$]

I swear to you that I was given a list of these expressions in French class.  Could be that she realised I didn't work and therefore she wasn't going to give me un after work!

Also reminds me of a long-ago and far-away interview on French TV with racing driver James Hunt. He was being interviewed in French and was acquitting himself rather well, until the interviewer asked him "Avez vous des hobbies?". A look of abject fear spread across James Hunt's face, as he realised he had no idea what he was being asked....

[quote user="andrew44"]Who has come across 'c'est un cas social' ? Someone that the authorities should deal with.

@+

Andrew 44
[/quote]

Used as a pejorative around here, "un cassoce"  to describe someone who doesnt work and scrounges off the state or just to insult someone.

The height of cultural interaction in these parts is to drive around with the Windows down shouting insults at pedestrians or cyclists, I get several a week whilst cycling to and from keep fit, usually they are inaudible and I am more concentrating on not falling off as  they pass very close with that intention, they also do it when I am working up a ladder on the front of my building hoping that I will fall off, the sound carries better and one day I laughed out loud to be called a cassoce by a car full of what can only be described as cassoces [:-))]

It was une bagnole cassoce also [:D]

I had forgotten how difficult I usually find it when anyone french says english words with a very heavy french accent.  And they look at me very strangely, as they tell me it's an english word and sometimes I still don't get it as it is so deformed, I'd need to see it written down.

Over the years it has happened a lot.

Still it is no worse than 'already you' that is so used in english, now that drives me bonkers.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Now you've got me started, Idun. I get really annoyed when I hear "coup de gras" which is the usual pronunciation by English speakers. I always imagine someone being bludgeoned to death with a lump of lard.
[/quote]

Oops [:$] looks like I have been pi55pronouncing that for years yet I know the correct spelling.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Now you've got me started, Idun. I get really annoyed when I hear "coup de gras" which is the usual pronunciation by English speakers. I always imagine someone being bludgeoned to death with a lump of lard.

[/quote]

Oops [:$] looks like I have been pi55pronouncing that for years yet I know the correct spelling.

[/quote]

You're forgiven. Don't do it again! [:D]

[quote user="Loiseau"]And what about: "Il faut aimer" = "he/she/it is an acquired taste" ...

Angela[/quote]

Not only that, Angela, maybe il faut qu'insister as well?

I was thinking of when you told me that I had to insister in order to get rid of the marks on my kitchen floor.  In fact, it was too warm to clean said floor with the steam mop so no question of persevering, just a quick, face-saving attempt[:$]

Don't worry, I did understand your explanation the first time and I will try not to insist that they have to acquire a taste for me[:D]

? ? ?

Floor mopping here in the Vendee would be a watery pleasure, Mint! Today I am "insister"ing with sandpaper on my many large shutters, prior to painting them with something akin to molasses, and it's 26 degrees.

Anything in that line seems to be "un produit", which is another useful word that covers a multitude of things from floor polish to beauty products, bath unguents (sp?) to wood stain.

Angela

That sounds like seriously hard work, beaucoup de boulot?

Ours seem to be very well covered in un produit like lassure (have I got that produit right?)  And all I do is wash them, OK insistering a bit, and then use a wood protector on them.

It's over 30 here, so no real work this afternoon though I have done the ironing earlier on and, of course, cooked lunch.  Malgré tout, will be off to la gym later (can't now be tempted to sit around glugging cold beer[:-))])

BTW, do you like my new name?  No longer in 17 and I am properly grown up now.  Tell Wools that mint is just another sweet and that it doesn't refer to the sale of any chateau I might have possessed[:P]

That sounds like seriously hard work, beaucoup de boulot?

Ours seem to be very well covered in un produit like lassure (have I got that produit right?)  And all I do is wash them, OK insistering a bit, and then use a wood protector on them.

It's over 30 here, so no real work this afternoon though I have done the ironing earlier on and, of course, cooked lunch.  Malgré tout, will be off to la gym later (can't now be tempted to sit around glugging cold beer[:-))])

BTW, do you like my new name?  No longer in 17 and I am properly grown up now.  Tell Wools that mint is just another sweet and that it doesn't refer to the sale of any chateau I might have possessed[:P]