May day and Lily of the Valley

Mike1958

I remember the first year we were here, there was a knock on the door April 30th, and a chap I had never seen before was standing there with a young lad. 'Would it be possible for my lad to have a bit of your Muguet?' he asked - 'Of course', I said, thinking that he wanted some to give his mum ..................I was then gobsmacked to see them pick armfulls of the stuff (We have got a huge patch of it) - 'He is going to sell it in town tomorrow', he said!!! He must have made a fortune!!! They have never been back since!

Chris

I have to get some from the woods tomorrow, i got shown it's whereabouts last year by a neighbour. It's a bit off the track though so i hope i can find it (need to take a machete to get through to it!) She'll be expecting some now i have been let in on the secret!!!

Oh and got given a freebie bit in Intermarche today!

Oooh no this is very top secret Dotty. Someone planted it in this spot years ago and now there is a huge mass of it..............It's an official hamlet secret .....so secret i am not going to be able to find it! If this gets out i didn't tell you...OK?? This is on a par with ceps you know!!!

Normally we (the amicale laique) sell brins de muguet in the village to raise funds.  But due to the very hot spell we've had in the last fornight (>31°) all the muguet from our usual source has 'gone over' so this year we aren't , also due to some local 'difficulties' with the florist [:@]

Well i found it after getting soaking wet trousers after walking through a field of waist high wet grass and then finding a sort of gap to get through to the woods where it is!

Yep all finished........i picked the last few dead flowers and gave them to my neighbour anyway......she was happy!

[img]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g65/louweezel/IMG_5003.jpg[/img]

I bought 2 lovely tall terracotta pots filled with 5 or 6 plants from Lidl a few days ago. They were at €2.49 each and when they've finished scenting the living room I'll make some space for them in a shady border...

The very same pots were selling at €4.50 from Leclerc...[:-))]

[quote user="Missy"]

Juste un petit brin de muguet!

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r116/Missyesbut/lily-of-the-valley.jpg[/IMG]

Bonne journée et bonne chance à tous !

[/quote]

When I told my daughter last night that her father had bought me a spray of Lily of the Valley to celebrate May 1st I was astonished to be told that Lily of the Valley is mildly poisonous: viz from:-

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/publications/poison/poison.html

Lily of the Valley can cause "Irregular heart beat and pulse, usually accompanied by digestive upset and mental confusion."

Not worrying enough to put me off my nearly-favourite flower but interesting none the less.

Sue