Gift for host - Sunday Lunch

Nell

Hi - We have been invited to Sunday Lunch by some French friends. Arrive 12 o'clock. Been to other French friends for dinner in the past and normally take flowers and chocs. Would it be the same for Sunday lunch?

What would Sunday lunch be in a typical French household (do I skip breakfast on preperation [:D] )

When do you leave?

Just asking all these questions so that I don't offend.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

[quote user="Nell"]

What would Sunday lunch be in a typical French household (do I skip breakfast on preperation [:D] )

When do you leave?

Just asking all these questions so that I don't offend.

[/quote]

IMHO flowers and chocs would be fine; we usually find that if we take chocs then they are offered round the table during coffee.

Sunday lunch is normally a four course affair and can last quite a long time - sometimes it catches up with apéros at 18h!

Depending on how well you know the hosts, and how interested they are in the fact that you are British and have chosen to live in France, then it can be quite difficult to get away - though, of course, you might not want to.

Sue

[quote user="Ron Avery"]Hate to disagree but round here its normal to provide the dessert if invited to Sunday lunch. [/quote]

Come to think about it I have been asked to do a British pud on occasion ... trifle made with pineau de charente is a big hit. Though I was not aware that providing a pud was the norm. We are usually told just to bring ourselves and our sense of humour.

Sue

I usually ask if I can bring something if it's the first time. If they say no, then I bring flowers or chocolates. I have never come across the tradition of bringing a pud round here - strange to invite people for a meal then expect them to provide part of it !

[quote user="Callie"]II have never come across the tradition of bringing a pud round here - strange to invite people for a meal then expect them to provide part of it.[/quote]

It is quite normal if you're invited for lunch by friends to suggest bringing le dessert.

Last sunday we invited our French next door neighbours for Lunch, and the wife insisted she bring a frangipain (spelling?), and as my wife was showing of her new speciality dessert, we had two lots!

Interestingly, they also bought a rather nice bottle of wine with them, despite what some claim as a no no.

Thanks for all the comments. I opted for flowers and chocs. But if I get asked again I will do a trifle, that sounds good. I only read the trifle idea after I came back from the shops....[:D] Cheers all...

[quote user="Clair"]It is quite normal if you're invited for lunch by friends to suggest bringing le dessert.

[/quote]

Ahhh, that explains a lot ... our friends know about my cooking, which is why I get asked to bring a trifle - no cooking involved!!

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Clair"]It is quite normal if you're invited for lunch by friends to suggest bringing le dessert.

[/quote]

Ahhh, that explains a lot ... our friends know about my cooking, which is why I get asked to bring a trifle - no cooking involved!!

Sue

[/quote]

Just to clarify, the invited friend offers to bring le dessert... [:)]