Pointless Party Game

frexpt

Last night, we went along to a midsummer bash at the salle de fête in the village where we will be moving later this year.  A couple of British friends who already live there also went along.

Partway through what was turning out to be a very long and tedious evening anyway, the host for the night announced a party game. This appeared in involve various selected persons sitting on chairs in the formation of a horse drawn carriage.  From what we could make out there were two "horses" at the front, someone who was a coachman, a king and queen sitting inside and one person on each corner.......we couldn't decide whether they were guards or wheels....or perhaps something else! 

The host then proceeded to read instructions from a list, which appeared to involve one or other/several/all of the participants standing up, walking around their chair, then sitting down again..  This carried on for a full 20 minutes, after which the game ended abruptly to rapturous applause. 

Despite asking a number of the locals, we were unable to establish what was meant to happening, although the French seemed to find the entire procedings hilarious.[8-)]

Anybody enlighten me please as to what we had witnessed...........??

In the eighties we used to play a similar game in the local pub garden frequented by the air crews from Gatwick Airport, it followed a similar theme, each person played a different part of the aircraft and had to make different gestes and the correct noises according to the story being recounted.

What the new initiates to the game didnt know is that they had been picked for the engines, and the final scenario was a multiple engine fire following a bird strike, the story teller shouted "set off the extinguishers engines two and three" at which point al the onlookers would throw their pints over the engines [6]

[quote user="fandango"]What you saw was what you got, a game to make others look silly and have a bit of fun. Had the same game here in Finistere and we had never seen it before but it was hilarious! Perhaps we are a bit simple and easy to please.[/quote]

Noted..........as with living anywhere different, you learn about the culture (or lack of) as you go along...........[;-)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]How does one make a noise like a retard? I am sure that is politically incorrect but then in the Deux Sevres there is little else. The Melle area has the highest numbers of mentally exercised sheep I have ever seen!![/quote]

I'll have you know I resemble that remark....................Can't wait for the fun, I'll be travelling down there tomorrow (subject to LD lines and gales in the Channel)

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Christine Animal"]

You know, they're pretty retarded in the Deux-Sèvres.   [:D]

[/quote]

let's say so, so we keep our rural departement to ourselves [;-)]

I was born on the côte d'Azur, but would miss Deux Sèvres if I had to go.

Been here for 20 years now..