• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Independent article:

"Rahim's casting is a rare case of a

Maghrebin actor playing an iconic lead in a major French film, and his

quietly commanding performance earned him the best actor trophy at the 2009

European Film Awards.

"

Cinema in French with actors who have Maghebin roots is becoming stronger and stronger .

See Hafsia Herzi in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMT15VdIoIk

And Sabrina Ouazani (also in the film above)

in L'esquive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kF7SCunsPc

Strange bedfellow!

Simon Heffer's article in yesterdays Telegraph about French cinema.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/simonheffer/7004667/Theres-a-golden-age-going-on-next-door.html

While I wouldn't quite class    Le goĂ»t des autres as "The best French film I think I have ever seen" it is very fine and I loved it when I saw it on French TV a while ago

There is a marvellous moment when the philistine  industrialist is dragged to the theatre by his wife.

The play starts, and it is BĂ©rĂ©nice in a terrible production in which BĂ©rĂ©nice is played by  a woman who is supposed to be teaching him English

His first reaction is 'Putain! C'est en vers' but as he sees the great speech

"Ah ! cruel ! est-il temps de me le déclarer ?

Qu'avez-vous fait ? Hélas ! je me suis crue aimée.

Au plaisir de vous voir mon âme accoutumée

Ne vit plus que pour vous. Ignoriez-vous vos lois,

Quand je vous l'avouai pour la première fois ?

À quel excès d'amour m'avez-vous amenée !

Que ne me disiez-vous : « Princesse infortunée,

OĂą vas-tu t'engager, et quel est ton espoir ?

Ne donne point un coeur qu'on ne peut recevoir. »

Ne l'avez-vous reçu, cruel, que pour le rendre,

Quand de vos seules mains ce coeur voudrait dépendre ?

Tout l'Empire a vingt fois conspiré contre nous.

II Ă©tait temps encor : que ne me quittiez-vous ?

Mille raisons alors consolaient ma misère :

Je pouvais de ma mort accuser votre père,

Le peuple, le sénat, tout l'Empire romain,

Tout l'univers, plutôt qu'une si chère main."

Something begins to awaken in him, and the desire for culture, under the influence of what might seem to be a desire for the passion he sees in the actor takes hold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjqSS0EgvWE

A real epiphany, but he is not the only one to learn the validity of "Le goût des autres"

Enjoyed that link to "Le gout des autres" .  "Comme une image" by the same director is very good too. 

In the UK, I think films like that would probably be  made for TV, rather than cinema.

Digression alert - "Edge of Darkness"( tv drama from the eighties) has been remade starring Mel Gibson and Ray Winstone. It's released in UK next week and France on 17 Feb.

[quote user="Tom"]Digression alert - "Edge of Darkness"( tv drama from the eighties) has been remade starring Mel Gibson and Ray Winstone. It's released in UK next week and France on 17 Feb.[/quote]

Got the DVD with Bob Peck.

Looks a bit dated, with long-ish and repetitive shots, but par for the course at the time it was made, I suppose.

[quote user="Clair"]
Got the DVD with Bob Peck.
Looks a bit dated, with long-ish and repetitive shots, but par for the course at the time it was made, I suppose.
[/quote]

I think that's true of a lot of old tv dramas. They do date a lot,  best not to go back.

[quote user="NormanH"]I have just noticed that "Le goût des autres" is being shown on Arte this evening at 20:35
[/quote]

A bit late to post that Norman at the minute it started!

I hadnt returned by then anyway but am pleased to see that I havnt missed after all the exposé on Amiente on FR2 which has just started.

• 2 weeks later...
Comme une Image is available on Orange CineSeries at the moment, but the synopsis didn't grab me... So thanks very much for the recommendation. :)

Their synopses are woefully poor; they don't name the director or actors, nor the original language, despite VO being an option for every film... bah!  Thanks again. [B]

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="krusty"]

Ne le dis Ă  personne is on BBC4 at 23.30 UK time tonight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362225/

[/quote]
Well worth a look as Claire said on the other thread.
[/quote]

Oh my goodness, what a fantastic film.  Thanks to everyone who recommended it.

And how lovely to hear Jeff Buckley again, singing Lilac Wine in the soundtrack  (and didn't both Mr Cat and I shed a little wobbly-lipped tear at the end , how could anyone not ?)

[quote user="Cat"][quote user="krusty"]Ne le dis Ă  personne is on BBC4 at 23.30 UK time tonight http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362225/[/quote]

Oh my goodness, what a fantastic film.  Thanks to everyone who recommended it.[/quote]

So glad you enjoyed it [:)]

The characters just pull me into the storyline and at no time do I get a sense of disbelief. I understand there's a Hollywood remake in the pipeline... [8-)]

I have just finished watching it and must agree , excellent film. I was puzzling the significance of counting the "/" in the email ....all is revealed at the end.

And I kept wondering who the good cop was , having seen him before .....it was François Berléand , who was in "The Transporter" series of films.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw "Le Concert" - and while it is not a really great movie, it was immensely enjoyable - with all hankies out for the grand finale, pure undiluted emotion as we are swept  by   Tchaikovsky's Concert for Violins. Anyone who filled up in "Field of Dreams" ("Build it and they will come!") will  love "Le Concert" , as well as all who love music. "Le Concert" is also very, very funny in parts - some dark humour which involves stereotyped Russian business sense. I might even want to see it again.

"Mademoiselle Chambon" just got an oscar. A "very French" - culturally - movie.

"Ceux qui restent" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0969701/ was on Fr.2 last night, and although I had not intended watching it, I was increasingly pulled into the film.

Both of those movies star Vincent Lindon, the lifeguard in the earlier "Welcome" - where (living in Calais) he unwittingly befriends a young Afghan who is desperate to get to England.

GĂ©rard Depardieu in The Singer (original title Quand J'Etais Chanteur) tonight (Sun 7th March) on BBC4 at 19:15.

I have stated before that I am not enamoured with a "comfortable" Depardieu, and this is an example of the easy performance which stands at the polar opposite of the edgy roles he used to prefer in his younger days.