Can weeds be legally a nuisance?

allanb

We live next to a field which is completely neglected.  There is no wall or other barrier between the field and our garden, and the nettles and other weeds that grow in the field invade the garden; unfortunately they seem to grow more strongly than our own plants.

We haven't discussed this with the field's owner yet.  I'm quite willing to do so, but I'd like to be prepared with some idea of the applicable law: does anyone know what right I have (if any) to require the weeds to be controlled? 

If the owner - rightly or wrongly - continued to do nothing, would I have the right to cut them and/or spray them myself?  (Not that I want the work.)

""Best complain to the commune who will give the owner a certain time to sort the filed out. if not, then the filed will be sorted and the bill sent to the owner. There is a duty to keep land clean and he is not carrying it out.""

There is?

A "duty", what's a duty? 

If you mean a law could you please give some more detail please?

Chris

Thank you for you bloody rudeness Chris. Yes, my commune tell me that if land is not maintained, then they have the duty to tell the owner to clean it up and if it is not done, then they will get it cleaned up and send  the bill. And that, yes, Chris, there is a duty to maintain land to a certain standard, by, amongst other things, removing thistles. It is not often invoked as most landowners are not stupid and there is a degree of laissez vivre.

Information checked this year concerning a plot of land in front of my house. They first acted informally by 'botting his fesses', but then prepared to send out a letter, but the land was sold and is now maintained.

Of course informal approaches are best.

Satisfied Chris!

I wasn't at all rude, I asked politely and said please - as always.

Thank you for the link, it is also exactly how I understand it but it is contestable and the person making the complaint needs to be able to prove that it is causing them harm or damage. If this wasn't the case there would be no land left en friche in France.

Sorry if you are still having problems with be asked for more information tag.

Chris

The modern way of email is a pain in the backside in that it is easy to push the button without first thinking through what you are and are going to say.

Reflect before sabres at dawn over the internet.

I can find nothing wrong with Chris's response but there again I am not Woolybanana and there may be previous.

[quote user="dragonrouge"]The modern way of email is a pain in the backside in that it is easy to push the button without first thinking through what you are and are going to say. Reflect before sabres at dawn over the internet. I can find nothing wrong with Chris's response but there again I am not Woolybanana and there may be previous.[/quote]

To use that oft quoted phrase

I'ts the tone [8-)]

I admit to being puzzled by this expression ,how can one get a tone from some words typed in black on a forum

Why are there so many "nasties" now? I have used the forum very happily for some 7 years now and am very saddened by the recent entirely unnecessary unpleasantness which has indeed caused one longstanding member of the forum to leave.

Life is too short for nasties and anyway it is a lovely forum with lots of wonderful helpful knowledgeable people and we should not allow a few to spoil it for the rest.

Happy weekend

WendyG

Why spoil a good argument with a 'perhaps'  ?

[Eric Idle voice]

An argument is a fact or statement used to support a proposition; a reason:; A verbal dispute; a quarrel; A process of reasoning; A series of statements ...

[/end Eric Idle voice]