Beaujolais Nouveau 2004?

St_Jacques

Hi - Ive heard that the French keep the best BN for themselves and the stuff we get in the UK is pretty inferior.  Any of you out there got any recommendations for this year?  We have a house a few miles away from BN country and are visiting this w/e so we need some good stuff to keep out the cold!

Merci

Dale

Hi

the BN is available on the 3rd Thursday in November.

Here in Languedoc it is available one month earlier complete with town bands, fireworks, etc.

The wine experts are agreed that it is all marketing hype and the wine isn't worth drinking !

Peter

I would certainly agree about the French keeping the good stuff for themselves. In the industry I work in, a French organisation holds a Beaujolais Nouveau evening every year. Last year all my colleagues who went were complaining about what a rubbish year it was, whereas we had Beaujolais Nouveau hre in France at a local restuarant and it was great. In fact many experts thought 2003 was a good vintage for Beaujolais.

This year, as I was in London last week, I went along to the event and the wine was rubbish (confirmed by the PR chap who organised the event, and with whom I was in contact today). Yet here I am, drinking the 2004 nouveau in France, and it's far superior to what I had last week. I did bring back a bottle so it will be interesting to see what it tastes like in France

I don't know about any particular names to look out for, just that its generally a good idea to avoid the cheapest, and the better stuff tends to have colourful, quite garish, labels. A dull looking beaujolais nouveau often tastes dull, in my opinion, whereas it should be lively and bright.

And yet they do drink it, Peter.

We've had our village nouveau, a Teyran nouveau (the one with tombstones and ghosties on the bottle), and TOH and his group of cow-orkers were invited yesterday to partake of BN with their mangler.

Opinion is generally that it's not like "real" wine.  Yes, it's marketing, it's more like drinking fruit juice, but if you take it in the right spirit, so to speak, i.e. fun, it's buvable enough.

Do you not detect a sort of defensiveness arising against the BN?   A sort of "whatever Beaujolais can do, we can do too". ?  

Oh no, just had a very British thought.  Is the French wine market dumbing down?   Perish the thought. 

I bought two bottles of the stuff (here in France). One was top range over €5 and the other was €1.99 (Champion Supermarket) and to be honest there was not a lot of difference. As far as the wine goes, for €1.99 it's OK but for €5+ it's not worth the money. Drank mine down in Perpignan sitting on the beach (the only one) and it was 21 deg C plus the sun was out. How did you drink yours apart from out of a glass?

[quote]We all seem to be in agreement. Is this a first for the forum? About wine too![/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm certainly not in agreement with most of the comments about Beaujolais Nouveau. I hope I'm not a wine snob, though I'm happy to talk pretentiously about Chatueauneuf-du-Papes and Gevery-Chambertin with anybody. Neither am I a bargain bucket drinker, the blended Chenet and worse brands wouldn't even be used for cleaning the sink here.

I've had some very enjoyable Nouveaus and Primeurs - not only from Beaujolais, but almost anywhere in France that makes wine. The 2003 Beaujolais Nouveau was actually pretty good. But just as with older wines, the quality can indeed vary and some years are better than others - with the Primeurs it's just a bit more drastic when there's a dodgy year. I don't think the 2004 is up to 2003, but it's not that bad.

I couldn't agree more.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With Will, that is, and not those unfortunates who can't loosen their corsets/belts/braces and spend a few €s on a couple of bottles of Primeur by way of a joyous celebration of the vendange. What better way to brighten up a dark autumnal day than a few good swigs of this year's first press. Never mind the quality.......feel...........and taste the memories of summer days spent walking thro' the vines, in expectation of their ultimate bounty. Sure the best is yet to come.....but get the Primeur drunk ( not get drunk, note, in keeping with current French PC counsel, consume alcohol with moderation!) and lighten up..it's to enjoy en gouléant, not to analyse ad nauseam.!!!!!!!!!!

chouan

How dare you lot rubbish BN

I followed your advice and went for the garish labels - although to be honest havet got round to opening a bottle yet - however our suitcase now has a rather fruity tang as one of the bottles smashed our our return flight home.

Whilst in Beaujolias country I picked up a bottle  of Non Filtre BN will be interesting to see how that compares.