fromage frais

Frank

Hi eceryone, stupid question time again!!!

I have been trying (without success) to buy standard fromage frais for making quiche etc. But I have walked up and down super u but cannot identify it!! I have found the flavoured ones that kids eat, but nothing that would imply suitable for cooking. Am I looking in the right place, does it have a different name???? I have tried the old fashioned milk and eggs, but not the same, must be something to do with the cheese maybe?? Any advice would be most helpful

Many thanks

kimberley

are you looking for a sourish thick yoghurt?  perhaps fromage blanc is what you are after . That will be pretty close to the butter/yoghurt.

Hopefully TU will be along in a while, she will know exactly what you are after.[:$]

Hi jetlag - not sure why you are not finding fromage frais.  Last

time I was in LeClerc, I noticed that the fromage blanc I had been

buying (brand name is Delisse I think), had changed its packaging and

now was being labeled as fromage frais.  I never knew the

difference between the two anyway.  It is still the very same

product, only in a better/stronger container and with a new name -

frais, not blanc.  It is located with the plain yogurts in our

store.

Leader Price and Lidl have their own fromage blanc's also.  I like them both too.  I cook with them often.

If you don't find it, just ask one of the grocery staff.  I'm sure they must have it.

As Lori said, fromage blanc is now called fromage frais. Fromage blanc comes in two types, moule a la louche which I would not use for basic cooking although well drained for a day or so and I do make a passable yorkshire curd tart with it or just to eat with cream and coulis, lovely. And just fromage blanc which isn't marked as anything in particular and is smooth and creamy and looks rather like thick yoghurt.

There are also petit suisse that are now called fromage frais too, not that I ever thought that they were anything like fromage blanc.

I put cream in my quiches. I beat eggs up and then stir in cream from those little long life cartons, preferably elle et vire. If by chance the mix seems a bit too thick, which it does sometimes, then I add a little milk. I don't think I have ever seen a recipe for a quiche with fromage frais in it so would never have thought of using it.

TU says:  I put cream in my quiches. I beat eggs up and then stir in cream from

those little long life cartons, preferably elle et vire. If by chance

the mix seems a bit too thick, which it does sometimes, then I add a

little milk. I don't think I have ever seen a recipe for a quiche with

fromage frais in it so would never have thought of using it.

I do the same thing.  I also use the cream to make a nice Cream

tuna with pasta.  It really tastes great - the cream from Lidle is

not bad either, even the lower fat version.

I love quiches and make them quite often, but though they come out of the oven quite deep as they cool the eggy bit tends to go a little thinner. It still tastes good but aesthetically they look a little disappointing. 

Great quiche makers of France, how can I get round this problem?

(I use eggs and cream not fromage frais) 

Well, I'm confused now!  How recently was this change?

2 weeks ago I bought fromage blanc no problem, I prefer it to yoghurt.  The Germans call it quark, I believe.

A couple of days ago in Norma I bought fromage frais, and it's not the same thing at all.  It has that bitter taste like yoghurt (I don't like yoghurt at all).

I only see French people using crème fraiche in savoury cooking, not the other two.

Ah well the makes I buy are now called fromage frais, don't know about all makes.

Quark, no like, beurk!

Yes, creme fraiche has the advantage of not curdling, well much less so than those boxes of cream, but I prefer the cream to creme fraiche for most things. I rarely use creme fraiche, although I do have one or two recipes where it is essential.

I am sorry I have just got a bit mixed up on here and deleted a post I made about quiches.

Viva, I always bake my quiches in a flan dish that is about but never less than an inch deep. The custard comes up to an 1/8th of an inch short of the pastry top. And my pastry is never too thick either. They rise during cooking, but to fall when cold, but as there is plenty of custard to start with it is fine.

I always watch my cooking times too as the pastry needs a hot oven and this will brown the filling top quickly and the inside will not be cooked, so after about 20 minutes I turn the oven down and bake for a further 10-20 minutes depending on the size of the flan I have made.

[quote user="Lori"]Hi jetlag - not sure why you are not finding fromage frais.  Last time I was in LeClerc, I noticed that the fromage blanc I had been buying (brand name is Delisse I think), had changed its packaging and now was being labeled as fromage frais.  I never knew the difference between the two anyway.  It is still the very same product, only in a better/stronger container and with a new name - frais, not blanc. [/quote]

This is getting stranger!  I was in Leclerc the other day and couldn't find Fromage Blanc there at all. 

But it's not the same as Fromage Frais, they taste very different, so I don't see how they could repackage one and call it the other name.

Lidl still sell both.

Well Saligo, I have just been to Super U today and remembered to look......... and you are right, we have once again fromage blanc and fromage frais and I was glad, as I know what fromage blanc is, where as I am never sure what fromage frais is all about.