Cathedral city Cheddar??

Meg

Dick!!!

Stop bursting my bubble!

I can get hold of cheddar here but it's always a hunt. Just the thought of it being at the local Intermarche is exciting! And Cathedral City is yummy.

Maybe if i ask them really nicely [:)]

Or maybe this post will whip everyone up into such a cheesy frenzy they will have no choice!

As in France there are many cheeses which purport to be whatever only that their centre of production is elsewhere.  I have never quite understood this but whatever.

Is Cathedral City supposedly based upon Wells in Somerset?

That being the case and having tasted both I think that Montgomerys Cheddar is by far the best.

I am going back home just before Xmas and returning toute suite and we are having a tasting on Xmas morning in the local bar of traditional English Cheeses as against the native ones.  Obviously the result is pre-ordained for they cannot just accept that anything else than French is good.

Yesterday they tried Wensleydale and Stilton murmured approval but not wholesale approval.

Its funny, well maybe not, but I don't miss English cheese.  When ever we have people visit they always bring cheese, the kids love it but I'm not too bothered.  I find comte and cantal do it for me on the mild cheese front and mostly the kids eat gouda.  Emmenthal is good for grilling and we have plenty of Daddy's brown sauce to dip it in.

Its a good old curry I miss. 

I've always been a bit disappointed with Cathedral City - it always seems a bit rubbery and bland.  Those West Country ones are totally scrummy though.

I've still got enough curry ingredients in France for maybe two more blow outs, after which I'm at the mercy of visiting friends with car boots full of turmeric!

Yes, there are so many English shops and market stalls springing up that finding English cheese isn't really a problem. I'm with Dottty, not really bothered about Cheddar (other than the best unpasteurised traditional, with the cloth rind, but not over-strong) or Stilton.though I do like a nice bit of Double Gloucester.

We used to live in Wells Somerset yes it was a local cheese made by a large producer but no longer made in Wells. As you may or maynot know Wells is just 9 miles from Cheddar where they still make the Proper stuff. My Dad used to be a Cheesemaker  so give me a good truckle any day large blocked cheddar has no comparison in taste or texture as far as I'm concerned.

Christmas time we used to have a whole Truckle sat on the marble shelf in the larder along with the pickled eggs/onions & chutney oooohhhh those were the days

What curry ingredients do you have trouble getting?  I've seen most spices (admittedly not turmeric), which ones should I buy huge packs of before I move to France?

Also - what about Japanese stuff for sushi and Thai ingredients?  I'm sure our local Intermarche stocks coconut milk but lemon grass?  Kaffir lime leaves? - or better still is it possible to grow them.

Sorry to go off in a tangent...  I love Cathedral city too but I was planning on weaning myself off it when we get there (and Marmite)

Sass