What is the best French joint for Roast Beef ?

Beryl

I am doing a Trad English Sunday Lunch for my French friends in a couple of weeks. I have a few problems.

I don't like over done meat and I gather than the French don't either. I am not sure what would be the best joint of beef to serve them, I like roast rib but struggle to carve it and I will be under enough self induced stress [:$] 

What other French cut remains tender when cooked medium rare? 

I also like to make gravy with the fat and meat juices but never seem to be able to get enough out of the trimmed of all fat French meat, so fool proof tasty gravy recipes needed too.

I cannot get my roast potatoes nicely crisp in France. I don't know if it's my oven or the oil I am using but they go very hard on the exterior and ooze oil . I used to use a mixture of lard and butter in the UK and that always worked well but I haven't seen lard in France. 

Thanks in advance

We have found it better to buy meat from an excellent local butcher - much much better than the supermarkets.  Ours usually has joints of Charellaise  (not sure if that's how it's spelt) beef which you can tell just by looking at is going to be good. It melts in the mouth when cooked and however cooked. You need about 200g for each person as a guide.

For roast potatos we've found that the ones sold in the supermarkets for "purée" give the best results. Use sunflower oil rather than olive oil.

Can't help you with a gravy recipe other than buy a packet of old fashioned Bisto Gravy Powder - much better than granules.

Beryl, I've had great success with what they call a "rosbif" here.  It's very tender (usually a filet I believe) and carves beautifully.  I usually do mine rare, bu I'm sure it would be fine a bit more (but not much more) cooked.

As to potatoes, try roasting them in duck or goose fat.  You will be astonished and will never want to do them any other way!

PG

I always buy Tendre de Tranche. It isn't fillet of beef, but it is the only joint that we find is always good. I try and buy mine from an Intermarche about 8 kms away, no idea why, but they sell the best beef joints around here. Even my local butcher can sell beef that I cannot depend on, even though his products are usually excellent.

or is it tende de tranche? sorry I can't remember.

[quote user="PossumGirl"]

As to potatoes, try roasting them in duck or goose fat.  You will be astonished and will never want to do them any other way!

PG

[/quote]

I agree - when we have tinned confit (which the kids love) we freeze the excess duck fat to use for roast potatoes.

Kathie

[quote user="Clair"]It's tendre de tranche.
See here: découpe
[quote]Tendre de Tranche:
Cette coupe se trouve dans la région femorale dans la face interne de la cuisse. Ella a comme limites, la Tranche Grasse, la Tranche Ronde et le Cœur de Rumsteak.[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks Clair - that's what I meant to write, that's what I thought I'd written. It's still a great roast!

[quote user="Dick Smith"]No need for semolina if you parboil the potatoes, drain them and then shake the pan to rough up the outsides.[/quote]

Sorry Dick, but it does make a difference... Try it! I did...

And if you can get it, goose fat is much much better than duck fat: you will be able to open the oven door without having to suffer billowing clouds of smoke and the smell just isn't there any more!

I prefer them without. I agree about goose fat - but don't buy it in England! It was apparently Sainsburys best seller last Christmas at about a fiver a tin. If usng duck fat I put a bit of olive oil in - I often use duck because we like roast potatoes with confit de canard.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]No need for semolina if you parboil the potatoes, drain them and then shake the pan to rough up the outsides.

[/quote]

Dick, I always did do that anyway.  But the semolina does make a real difference to the crunch in addition to the shaking.

[quote user="Susie24"]It's not an Aussie secret anymore because Nigella Lawson was recommending this method just before Christmas.  I do them this way now and they're always fab.  I sprinkle with the semolina though, not dip each spud in.
[/quote]

Ok...thats it.......Thats the last time I tell her anything.I told Nigella that in confidence......[:D]

I think goose fatis by far the best and I wanted to try the semolina thing but couldn't find any in our local supermarket.  I assumed it would be with the couscous, rice etc but it wasn't.  Does anyone know where it is to be found?

Lard hides itself with the other pork products.  I spent ages looking for it with butter and margerine but no it's with the pork rillettes, salami and paté!!!!

Coco - round here the semolina is in fact located with the rice, couscous, etc.  We can get it in several different grain sizes.  There is also bulgar and semolina located in the Int'l food sections of our Auchan and LeClerc.  However these items are almost always more expensive than the French made, same type products found in the rice aisle.

You can also find it at Bio stores, again more expensive.

[quote user="Coco"]I wanted to try the semolina thing but couldn't find any in our local supermarket.  I assumed it would be with the couscous, rice etc but it wasn't.  Does anyone know where it is to be found?[/quote]I used semoule de couscous moyenne and it worked fine. You might find semoule near the flours, as it is used for gateau de semoule.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Re the roasties, I will certainly try the goose or duck fat and experiment with semolina too. I love beef fillet but I will try the tranche tender as it is less expensive. 

Having had lunch at their house Sunday, I am a bit worried that they might think a trad roast is death by vegetables, as they only served one type and it was very well cooked. I did enjoy it though. [:D]

Is the goose fat likely to be in a tin and roughly in what part of the shop will I find it?

At Christmas there is goose fat in the butter section but the rest of the year it tends to be duck fat in the chiller cabinet and the goose fat seems to be on the shelf with things like tinned patés, tinned foie gras, cassoulet etc.  Don't know why it only needs to be chilled at Christmas! [;-)]

Found the semoule with the flour this afternoon, thanks Clair!