Do you like all things French?

TWINKLE

For example - do you like the apèro Pastis or Ricard?  It's an aquired taste to say the least.  Or what about the satanic 'eau de vie'? 

The Brits can knock back beer by the gallon and I know that most of you enjoy their wine - but how do you cope with these mega strong spirits? 

I myself have witnessed some hardened Welsh drinkers scarper for miles whenever they see the 'eau de vie' being passed around the table in an innocent looking bottle of Perrier[:-))]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I'm  wondering is if people living or visiting here often have aquired the same taste as the French.  It was years before I could drink and enjoy it as a proper apèro - not because I was tired but because I really fancied one and I prefer Ricard BTW.  It's like Coca Cola Or Pepsi over here. 

The same applies with the 'eau de vie' - do you enjoy a tipple after your meal like so many French do (especially the locally made stuff sshhh!!!)?  I don't mean 'cos' you've got a bad back JK[;-)]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

For example - do you like the apèro Pastis or Ricard?  It's an aquired taste to say the least.  Or what about the satanic 'eau de vie'?  [/quote]

Nope. I have learnt not to refuse now, rather than offend, or enter into another discussion as to why.

I let all spirits/licquers etc. touch my lips, and then Mr Tresco usually helps me out.

When I was a girl, my friends used to drink neat Pernod. I'm not much of a drinker and don't like strong stuff, so didn't. So I suppose yes, my english friends do drink patis. When we first got here, for an apero, I used to have had a tiny pastis with lots of water, if the mood took. My Dad enjoys pastis.

My french female friends seem hooked on Marie Brizzard, which in comparison to Pernod is a bit of a wimps drink.....

I don't like Suze, I find it too bitter.

The eau de vie's, well we give them to all our guests and no one says no to a little pousse-café. Some go down better than others, especially the home made stuff. All foul stuff, no accounting for taste.

Andouillette - bleaghhhhhhhhhh!
And if I never see "tablier du sapeur" again, it'll be too soon.  (Huge slab of tripe, served in a Lyon "bouchon")

Also can't bear the thought of "gesiers", though of course one's friends always say: "Ah, but *my* home-made ones are delicious..."

Angela

I suspect we Brits aren't alone about the Andouillette thing.

Has anyone seen an advert where the basic premise is that there are certain things we can't choose, like our parents, neighbours, or the name of the road we live on?

The example for the latter is Rue (I think) Andouillette.

[quote user="Tresco"]

I suspect we Brits aren't alone about the Andouillette thing.

Has anyone seen an advert where the basic premise is that there are certain things we can't choose, like our parents, neighbours, or the name of the road we live on?

The example for the latter is Rue (I think) Andouillette.

[/quote]

but would you choose to live in Arces or Condom? [8-|]

What about foie gras? 

It tooks me a few years to enjoy that.  I remember being served it at a meal and thought I'd impress my boyfriend and speak some French in front of his huge family gathering.  I said "Non merci, pas pour moi - je n'aime pas le paté"  or  "No thanks, not for me - I don't like paté".

Never admit you don't like foie gras to a French person unless you have 2 hours free to argue about it and NEVER refer to it as paté,  unless you aren't particularly keen on living anymore[:D]

Mmm, have to admit to a liking for FG.  [:$]
And, for that curious dish of northern France, potjevleesch. It's a slowly simmered collection of "white meat" (pork, veal, rabbit, chicken, I think), allowed to cool in its juice, which then becomes a soft jelly. It's roughly broken up, then - bizarrely - served cold, accompanied by hot chips.

It's taken me a long time to come round to the ubiquitous "mogettes" of the Vendee (boring white beans - i.e. like Heinz, without the tomato), but I can take them now, as long as they accompany something else interesting.

Angela

Andouilette is top of my dislikes (is it marinaded in the gent's urinal? - that's what I thought first time) along with tripe (all modes) but must admit I still haven't managed to acquire a taste for endives. I'm sure I'll like them eventually. Now Jenlain, Trois Monts and the other northern bieres de garde, plus mirabelle plums in season, are definitly top of my favourites

Brian

I can appreciate that they use every last bit of an animal, but I hate all the "icky bits" as I call gibiers :)

Tripe? No way, same for foie gras.

Pâté has to be mostly meat and very little liver. I don't do shellfish either (but that's environmental health training that put me off)

Pastis? I should be so lucky - round here the 'ladies' have to have pineau des charantes or other sweet white - an aquired taste I seem to have aquired ... tant pis :)

Eau de vie? Not often - although the OH loves it. Not sure I like the effect it has on him or visitors, but each to their own :)

Pain dur is just sooo usefull! All the animals eat it, from rabbits to sheep to horses. La voisine admits to buying 2 pain instead of one "pour mes lapins" and so do I!

Rillettes - oh, j'adore! Pork, goose, lapin, all of them!

Pain d'épices too - especially nonettes. Petit brun.

It's no wonder I can't keep to my diet :)