What can I do with my raclette?

Beryl

Chocolate fountains are again this year's company Christmas party top accessory.  I'm doing all I can to resist the pleas of my younger colleagues to add one to ours.   I'd like to stay in my party dress all night rather than busting out of it by 9pm!  What with the turkey and stuffing too...  [8-)]

Vintage 16

Sorry that this is a bit off the original thread but as we're talking about chocolate fondue ... I've had a little chocolate fondue set for years (donated from the back of my MIL's cupboard) and by far the best recipe for it is to melt chunks of Mars Bar in a bowl over a pan of water and add a little bit of cream to make it the correct consistency.  Occasionally, well, most of the time actually, I also add a dash of whatever alcoholic beverage takes my fancy, (usually Cointrau, Baileys, brandy or similar - or all [:-))]).  When it's all melted and gorgeous just tip it in to the little bowl and put it over the tealight thingy (you could actually construct your own little setup - but only under the guidance of an adult!)

We have it with cut up fruit, bananas are particulalry good, and marshmallows.

Mmmm....

Lynda M

[quote user="Innocents Abroad"]Sorry that this is a bit off the original thread but as we're talking about chocolate fondue ... I've had a little chocolate fondue set for years (donated from the back of my MIL's cupboard) and by far the best recipe for it is to melt chunks of Mars Bar in a bowl over a pan of water and add a little bit of cream to make it the correct consistency.  Occasionally, well, most of the time actually, I also add a dash of whatever alcoholic beverage takes my fancy, (usually Cointrau, Baileys, brandy or similar - or all [:-))]).  When it's all melted and gorgeous just tip it in to the little bowl and put it over the tealight thingy (you could actually construct your own little setup - but only under the guidance of an adult!)We have it with cut up fruit, bananas are particulalry good, and marshmallows.Mmmm.... Lynda M[/quote]

Toblerone...

enough said
[:-))]

It's just a mini-grill in effect therefore anything you can grill, you can do, and anything you can fry, you can cook on the top.The quails' eggs mentioned above sound good to me! Also, as mentioned above, makes great gallettes - you can pop anything in those for him.  We use our raclette at least twice a week when we can't be bothered to drive to the baker's and get fresh bread - we just toast yesteday's at the table and eat what we like on/with the toast.

I had a primitive Belgian raclette thingy some years ago - my cousin was thinking of importing them to the UK and asked us to try them out. Each person had a little meths burner and a tiny non-stick frying pan and you cooked your own little slivers of steak or bits of fish. You could add sauces, anything you wanted. We gave up after some overenthusiastic post-aperitif flambéeing set fire to the fringe round the bottom of the lampshade (it WAS the 70s). Great fun, but proper meals are easier!

Sounds a similar party to one we had at Camping Houx a few years ago (Le Mans 24 Hrs).  Slightly the worse for wear, we found that with a slug of calvados and a flaming ember you could improvise your own fire-eating act.  Until we set fire to the tent.

[quote user="Cassis"]Sounds a similar party to one we had at Camping Houx a few years ago (Le Mans 24 Hrs).  Slightly the worse for wear, we found that with a slug of calvados and a flaming ember you could improvise your own fire-eating act.  Until we set fire to the tent.
[/quote]Yeah, but setting fire to LM campsite is a national sport if CA is anything to go by,[:D]

Chocolate fountains are again this year's company Christmas party top accessory.  I'm doing all I can to resist the pleas of my younger colleagues to add one to ours.   I'd like to stay in my party dress all night rather than busting out of it by 9pm!  What with the turkey and stuffing too...  Confused [8-)]

Vintage 16

Can someone explain these to me please?  We've just had some friends of my mum staying for the weekend (though they're our age) and it was their first wedding anniversary.  Wedding photos incorporated photos of the chocolate fountain (much as above) but I was a little too embarrassed to ask what it was.  Would anyone like to give me a clue?

The brown part is melted chocolate. It's actually coming out of the top and pouring down the sides which is why they're brown; it looks like enamel in the photograph, but it's actually flowing chocolate. When it gets to the well you can either ladle it out or dip things in it.

Hoddy

• 4 months later...

En famille, if it is a block then I may defrost a little in the microwave and slice it still partly frozen and use it like that. In slices then I stick it in the fridge over night and then use it defrosted the next day as the slices often stick together.

For guests then they get fresh stuff.

We never eat raw poitrine fumé or nature. There are enough other meats that are cured or cooked to have.