chicken run uk

mooky

I have been watching Hugh Fernley-Whittingstalls programme on UK tv.It occurred to me that I am not really sure what I should be looking for here in France. Can someone tell me what label do I look for for

Organic free range chicken

Free range chicken

Free range eggs,

Organic eggs

Does anyone know if you can buy organic meat online in France.

I had been a vegetarian for many many years. When I came to France I started eating a little meat. I have no idea about the rearing of animals here, can anyone give me a website to look at. Thank you

I think they are everywhere coops.

I nearly always buy free range poultry/eggs over here. Works out a bargain when you find it reduced, then I buy all of it for the freezer! 24 free range chicken breasts for €14 the other day.

If you think the chickens are bad you should see how they intensively rear veal! (we have a veal barn in our hamlet.[:(])

Label Rouge is a good guide, as already recommended.  The bird will have had access to outdoors and been fed a veggie diet, high in cereals (thus avoiding the chicken version of mad-cow disease: scrapy). I believe stocking densities will be lower too. It will also be at least 84 days old (i.e. twice the age of the bargain supermarket own label bird) and hence be a slow growing breed that suffers far less from physical deformities ... and cooked correctly, tastes better.

My Dad worked for 33 years in the chicken processing industry: exclusively the "bargain" cheapo stuff ..... and he only eats free range.  Well done Hugh and Jamie.

And as Nicos will have seen, this subject is exercising a lot of people in the major organic/grow your own organic gardening fora.  One supermarket charged £15 for a free range chicken last week.  At least in the farmers markets here they're much much cheaper tho of course, no AB/Soil Association stickers.

And the difference between industrially raised pork and my chum's organic, free range longer lived pork and bacon here in France is really something special, properly raised, butchered and cared for porkers.

I'm involved with a group of AB growers here and am looking for certification to be recognised as such at the moment - it's difficult to get but I'll post about it when there's something to report.