French foragers unite!

Patf , how about knocking on the door and politely asking? We have far too much fruit and are always pleased to share with friends, neighbours and anyone who asks...

Didn't like it the year we got back from a week-end away to find the 2 bramley apple trees at the front at been stripped of every single fruit by 2 guys in a white van (a neighbour told us he had seen them, but didn;t say anything!). Might be a good way to make friends...

These fruit trees are along the edge of a field which is regularly cut for hay.  I don't know who owns the field but could find out. They have obviously been deliberately planted.

It seems a shame to waste them - I've tried one of the apples, and several figs and they are very good.

Nobody has mentioned the wonderful figs that are growing wild all over the place round here. Sweet, juicy and wonderful, oh and free.

You would have to pay an arm and a leg for them in a U.K. restaraunt and the trees are everywhere, well nearly [blink].

\keeps you going tooooo [:-))]!

Patf, if the trees are well away from habitations, just keep eating - as long as you don;t come with huge baskets you should be fine. If somebody sees you, just get chatting- ask, apologise even and say merci beaucoup, et voila  ... you'll surely be OK. In south Africa a few years ago we were shocked to see a sign 'trespassers picking fruit will

be shot' - I don't think that's likely to happen in F.

So far no-one has mentioned quinces which make wonderful jelly. I think it might be good with foie gras, maybe someone has tried it. Near my house, there is a persimmon tree which sheds its fruit on the road, but no-one seems interested.

I think I’m right in saying that French pharmacies will identify mushrooms for you.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]I think I’m right in saying that French pharmacies will identify mushrooms for you.Hoddy[/quote]

In the main, yes they will.

However, everyone in the village pharmacy refused to give me a definite answer and they all referred me to the poster in the window...[:)]

I spent an amazing week doing the vendanges - the work was hard but the team spirit was all the better for it!

I've been accepted to be back on the team next year, something I wouldn't miss for all the tea in China :)

One of the funniest moments was when we did a field next to a large uptogether place, and the English owner came out and offered us water from the tap in the courtyard. As soon as he was out of earshot everyone dissolved into laughter (and I got some flack being only English person on the team) - with the comment that he didn't really think the team ran on water, did he!!!

The casse-croute at 10am was more than welcome after a chilly 8am start in the fields - bread, pâté, rillettes cake and beer.

In spite of breakfast, casse-croute, 4 course lunch (bien arrosé), afternoon casse-croute and 5 course supper (extremely 'bien arrosé'!) I managed to lose 4lbs in the week. All the foils are kept from the wine consumed during the week - apparently they can be set against production as losses, a bit like a tax rebate. We had quite a collection :)

We were all sad to see the last buch of grapes cut, marking the end of the week's work. No financial gain - our reward was given in bottles of wine!

[quote user="Joffan"]I have quinces in my garden - do you have a recipe for the jelly?[/quote]

Hi Joffan,

If you take a look at January's issue of France Magazine (out mid-Dec, free if you attend the France Show at Earls Court), you'll find a multitude of ways of cooking and enjoying quince!

Best wishes,

Carolyn

Editor, France Magazine

ps. And I'll try and tone down my use of exclamation marks. Sorry.

Panda - it annoys me too. But take heart, we are right - the rest of the world is out of step. Here's a quote from The Times Style and Usage Guide (on which I based my own magazine style sheet):

exclamation marks nearly always unnecessary

[;-)]

I heard on the radio that the UK experts are going to put together the Chinese Mitten Crab and the American Creyfish with the belief that the crab will eat the American pest that kills the local species  .........I have not heard of any of these in French streams ponds etc ....As the crab grows to the size of a dinner plate knowing the foragers of the Vendee they would have been on one pretty quick if they are edible ......anybody seen any creyfish or crab foragers in the inland waterways ?