Help - New Year food

Gardengirl

Can anyone give me ideas for food  for our first New Year in France? Probably for New Year's Eve.

We'll be spending it at our apartment, and a few of our neighbours will be around. I thought it would be fun to get together, but am now wondering if I'm biting off.......... We are in UK just now, so can't consult very easily until we return in a couple of weeks, and not everyone will be there then. It will involve French, English and Belgian neighbours.

Ideally some of it could be bought in, but as I have no real idea what would be expected, I'm beginning to get cold feet. Buffet-style would probably be best, and everyone could/would bring contributions to the feast.

Thanks in advance, Jo

Our experience of New Years eve with a French families is lots of courses of very fine foods, wines and champagne. Starting late evening and going on until 4 or 5 in the morning.

Extensive aperos.

Oysters - always on the menu - last year we had 2 courses of oysters - one cooked and the other raw!

Fish or shellfish - gambas or smoked salmon or scallops etc.

Main - Sanglier or duck or beef etc.

Excellent cheeses

Variety of desserts

Coffee

Interspersed with refreshing sorbets and amuse bouche.

The supermarkets do packages of menus for new year but I've not tried them - they do give you an idea of what to cook though.

Or your local traiteur could help but they are usually booked up very early.

Good Luck

I think Joffan is spot on.  Sounds exactly like the stuff we've had on the odd invite at New Year's although I have never managed to last until the early hours.  I have heard of a second round of food being served around 3 in the mornig just to keep things going but that seems a bit OTT to me.

Buffet style is good too as you don't feel you have to serve your guests all the time and you get more time to enjoy yourself. 

Given the amount of fish/flesh suggested, you might want to enquire if any of your guests are vegetarian or they might end up a bit hungry.  If I remember well GardenGirl, you had a good crop of veg this year.  I'm sure any home-grown stuff would me much appreciated (I know I would [:D] )

For the last 2 New Years Eves we have done buffet menus for our English and French friends, the things I have learnt is.... The French love real Champagne, don't get the cheep fizzy plonk! they like lots of shell fish and fois grass, and don't do all French food, British food goes down a treat, exept English mustard and pickled onions!!! far too hot for their tastes, and make sure you have plenty of bread, then just enjoy yourself.[:)]

You have to got a good cheese at your table... Or many good cheeses...

Hmm... I think... For the new years, you can to have a PDO (or in french: AOC) like a Comté (but good Comté, 24 months!), or you can try others AOC less famous, like (my favorite) the Beaufort (but little bit expensive... In france, at Metz: 20/24€ /kg)... Otherwise, I think you have to bought, fresh cheese like "Apéri frais", or some one like that... Fresh cheese, easy, simply, light, because you will many eat i think ^^

Hmm but... It's your priority: Some good cheese (not many, often during the party, at the end, your guests didn't eat many cheese)

Joffan's suggestions were spot on indeed.

One starter is often smoked salmon on grilled toasts, and/or foie gras ; and/or oysters   or /and coquilles St Jacques ( My favourites   yummmmmmy) ( you will find them ready made in all supermarkets ..)

Main course can also be a gigot, I like it when the English roast it with some rsemary , and roast potaoes+ beans..

then cheese with good bread ( lots !)

and for dessert the traditional " Bûche"  !

Then different sorts of chocolate

Oh now . I'm hungry !!

• 2 weeks later...
On the cheese front, it's the perfect time of year for vacherin-mont-d'or. Let it rest out of the fridge for about a day in advance, serve it in its box, lift the top layer of rind away and within is liquid heaven, to be dunked with chunks of crusty baguette. Mmmmm....