lemon curd

Nicos

Can you get this in France??

Do the French like it?????

I was thinking of making some and giving it to our neighbours, but if it's not going to be popular, then I'd rather give them something they'd prefer!!

Depending on which browser you use, you may need to click on the "create link" icon (globe and chain above the post box) and copy the URL into the box to create a live link.

I need to do it with Firefox but not with IE7...

I once gave some to a french neighbour,with a loaf of wholemeal bread. They were very pleased to be given it, but never gave any report on whether they had enjoyed it, or even eaten it. I wrote the ingredients on a stick-on label. In french.

Hi - Any French person worth their reputation as a foodie would probably know what to do with lemon curd.  They might put it on crepes or use it to make a tart.  Even in France it is sometimes called lemon curd, rather than the French crème de citron.  The one thing I've heard them complain about though is if it's too sour (trop acide they'll say).  So maybe a bit more sugar and a little less lemon for them.  Seems like a nice gift to me.

Kim

• 1 month later...
A lemon curd recipe question...

I found a microwave recipe and made some yesterday and it tastes just as I think it should, but as I have never made it before, I can only compare it with commercial brands I have tasted before.

Looking at other recipes, I see butter listed as an ingredient, but the recipe I used did not include butter.

Is butter essential in a traditional lemon curd?

Hi,  Lemon Curd/Cheese do indeed both have butter in them and it is an essentisal part of the recipe or else I would imagine it would be a lemon meringue filling. Wonderfull on hot toast or on some pain viennoise or over icecream, try it in one of teamed ups recipes for marscapone tarts as the filling and of course the bit in the middle of a victoria sponge. Don't forget damson cheese and the fore mentioned gooseberry curd, apple cheese?

Lilly

I'll have to make another lot with butter and do a taste test![:D]

Unless there is a noticeable difference between the two, I'll stick with the butter-free version...

How many spoonfuls do I have to eat to count towards my 5-a-day, I wonder? [:P]

Here we  go!

Grated rind and juice from large 2 Lemons ( unwaxed and not treated idealy)

3 eggs (use free range bio if poss as the colour is a beautiful natural yellow)

4oz butter

8oz sugar

Beat eggs lightly and mix in the lemon rind and juice, butter and sugar. Place in the top of a double boiler or a bowl over hot water, heat gently, stirring occasionaly until sugar has dissloved and as its starts to thicken  keep strirring gently ( it does thicken up quite a bit when its cold) Pour into sterilised jars and cover should keep for up to a month in a fridge . I have strained it before for those who are adverse to little bits in the curd!)

Incidently I have just come across the difference between Curds and Cheeses apparently a Cheese involves stone fruits such as Damsons Quinces or fruits with strong flavors, the finish is very firm and will keep for 2 months as they have no eggs.

Curds have eggs are of soft spreading consistancy and will only keep for a month because of the eggs

Happy cooking

You got me thinking there for a moment so re checked the recipe and definatly no cornflour. The recipe is from the reader digest "The cookery year" a very well known book I also checked my bible Cookery in Colour by Marguerite Pattern 1967 and whilst the quantities of Lemons to sugar are slightly different again no cornflour, I do make the first recipe reasonably frequently and always works well so don't worry have confidence,it can take a little time for the mixture to start to thicken so just be patient and it will go.

Good Luck it will be fine trust me.

XX

• 1 year later...